Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

2 minutes ago, husoi said:

Good morning.

no rain no wind but very cold.

Geese are back, noisy little pests :) 

If they are Canada Geese they have no closed season and can be shot anytime throughout the year :thumb:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

A friend of mine used to keep geese in his garden. He had a few break-ins before, none after the geese arrived.

True, they are the best intrusion alarm :thumb: 

But fecking noisy 😁

I'm on the  flight path of some geese herds :P I can tell as soon they are arriving or leaving Scotland.

2 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

A friend of mine used to keep geese in his garden. He had a few break-ins before, none after the geese arrived.

Vicious little buggers 🤣

16 minutes ago, husoi said:

True, they are the best intrusion alarm :thumb: 

But fecking noisy 😁

I'm on the  flight path of some geese herds :P I can tell as soon they are arriving or leaving Scotland.

We have loads at our sailing club - they crap everywhere. So much so that last year I never dared use my brand new sail because it would come home covered in goose crap. 

1 minute ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

We have loads at our sailing club - they crap everywhere. So much so that last year I never dared use my brand new sail because it would come home covered in goose crap. 

Would that be gulls? 😏

They are the crap factories

3 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

We have nosey neighbours. That seems effective (they once asked if we had driven a horse box out of the property at 4am. This was the week before we moved in). 

3 hours ago, dynax said:

If they are Canada Geese they have no closed season and can be shot anytime throughout the year :thumb:

Canadas  taste like shite and are generally tough as old boot. I actually like the sounds of geese flying overhead, I find it very evocative.  When I was a child I used to live under one of their  migratory flight paths and used to hear them often in the evenings.

3 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Canadas  taste like shite and are generally tough as old boot. 

Possibly one of the reasons they are doing so well and are not on the conservation list. To encourage a few more to be shot they also demolish crops and reduce the food available for other types of Geese.
One of the things that's stopped me getting into Wildfowling down here to many prying eyes, although I would not intentionally shoot the wrong bird I have lost the knowledge to identify them accurately enough in half light.  any mistakes would be more than servery punished.

• Like 1

Just now, S-Westerly said:

Yeah, dawn flighting and shooting at silhouettes  is a bit hit and miss (no pun intended!). Shoot the wrong kind of goose or worse a swan and you're in very deep, very hot water.

Oh don't mention Swans the bain of my life 2 dogs and a dinghy, the dogs are actually really good but the Swans go for the attack First.

In the last 10 years memorable events occurrences:
Locally here a friend had there cocker swimming in a lake a Swan flue in swam over and attacked it.  The Dog naturally fought back, some passers by then had ago at the owners,  threatening police RSPB etc   All whilst the dog was trying to escape back to the shore...

I have a neighbouring boat decide to feed Swans over the bow of there boat.  I asked them to move to the Stern as I had dogs onboard, they told me to control my dogs etc.   The Swan looked round saw my dogs and went for the attack, Luckily I had boat hook hand and Swan saw it and backed off...

Apparently they do taste quite good, do the French still eat them :D

• Like 1

Ah swans, what lovely creatures...

I punch one once back in Portugal, was trying to attack my wee girl.

Was a nice swing though, put a few smiles on people around :lol: 

NOBODY attacks my girl and gets away with it 😡

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, rennie said:

Good Evening :-D

An interesting evening here. The brook behind our house has burst its banks and is now above the level of the culvert going under the road. Which means no more water can get through the culvert than is already so the water level can only rise. It's already part way across the back garden and the water level outside the back door is level with the step. Water coming off the roof isn't going down the drains as they are backed up. Fortunately the garage is higher so that's not likely to flood.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Just lots of rain here! 

how you all holding up @Bender

Wife's still rough. Quiet at the back.

My taste is returning and I've not had to have 5 kips today.

Would be nice to see oh improve a bit though as your never certain which way it goes.

• Like 3