Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

Guest Richzx6r

I was reading it thinking eh my Pops does none of that stuff, he’ll give me advice on what to do if I ask and in the last 20 odd years he’s been round to help with the archaic electrics twice, that’s it.

@Richzx6r For gawds sake if you’re reading this I implore you (yes that biggly I implore you) to show your daughter how to do stuff for herself, get her to help you with mechanical faults, DIY, using different tools, anything usefully practical.

It makes a big difference, not just to how much your running around after your offspring doing jobs later on but how she will approach life in general.

If you’re brought up being shown how to do everything it fosters a feeling you can doing anything.

The odd limitations placed on what you can and can’t do because your female simply don’t exist in your mind.

It’s difficult to explain but spending time with your Dad showing you how to fix a car, drill a hole, solder a pipe, sort an electrical fault is as priceless for a woman as it is a man, maybe even more. He has given me skills that have saved me a fortune and an appreciation of how things work I would never have had otherwise.

Of course his progressive parenting style wasn’t without its flaws, if you’re brought up thinking you’re an equal it’s a bit of a surprise to meet men who think you’re not :shock: :D

So yer wot JRH said.

Dont worry about it I already have it planned out that I will be teaching her how to do alot of stuff for herself so when she does fly the nest she will have the knowledge that she can do anything she puts her mind to with me as back up for advice should she need it

It's the phone calls that start with tears at 3am that were never in the instruction manual.

It's ok though, you knew she was going out so you've been sat up waiting for that call, sharpening pointy objects.

To add to the blunt instruments wrapped in towels you have been carrying for a while now ... and those two bottles of paint stripper wrapped in cling film .. alledgley ....

:twisted:

The theory that if you give small daughters tools and bits of engine to take apart they will automatically follow in dad's footsteps is nice but doesn't work. They have minds of their own and make their own choices what they take an interest in. Strangely rolling around in puddles underneath rusty cars in unheated garages never really appealed to them as much as being inside with their friends.

The theory that if you give small daughters tools and bits of engine to take apart they will automatically follow in dad's footsteps is nice but doesn't work. They have minds of their own and make their own choices what they take an interest in. Strangely rolling around in puddles underneath rusty cars in unheated garages never really appealed to them as much as being inside with their friends.

That rosey image isn’t one I’m familiar with.

Helping with other jobs that have to be done also doesn’t appeal to children but they still do them.

Women don’t learn the multiple traditional skills they leave home with because for example girls love to learn how to do the laundry. It’s a job that needs to be done, a skill that is useful to have and they will be shown how to do it. You only value it later when you need it.

The uneven nature of what skills are taught to what child depending on what gender they are leaves everyone worse off.

Daughters helping to fix a car or sons learning to sew probably isn’t on any child’s list. They’re memories and skills that will be appreciated later.

It’s ingrained, handed from one generation to the next that a girl doesn’t have to help do men’s jobs and vice versa.

Something that feels to me a wasted opportunity to only give them half a set of skills on the assumption they will couple up with someone of the other gender and complete the set. Or Mum Dad can just keep filling these roles for them for as long as they’re around which I suspect a lot of mums and dads rather like but in the long run it’s not the best outcome for the kid who will at some point be faced with costly bills or a dependency on others help with tasks they could easily complete themselves if they’d been shown.

But heyho whatever there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey

Neither do most small boys enjoy working with cars these days either. The number of people unable to do simple DIY or handle basic tools is amazing. I gave up trying to mentor younger people how to fix cars because they basically weren't interested.

Anyway, this isn't Facebook where everyone takes things so seriously. Most of what goes on here is somewhat tongue in cheek.

Rumour going round in Westminster that Bozo is going to ask for a one year extension with the EU!

The Wall of Gammon is going to lose its shit now!

Screen-Shot-2018-05-20-at-13.08.32.png

But if I remember right that bastion of common sense and decency Michael Gove said back in June that the UK would absolutely never ever ask for an extension.

So surely he wasn't telling fibs.

Rumour going round in Westminster that Bozo is going to ask for a one year extension with the EU!

The Wall of Gammon is going to lose its shit now!

Screen-Shot-2018-05-20-at-13.08.32.png

But if I remember right that bastion of common sense and decency Michael Gove said back in June that the UK would absolutely never ever ask for an extension.

So surely he wasn't telling fibs.

The House of Cards is coming down MB!

Trump on the way out, comms guy Cain sacked, and Cummings due to leave next month.

Why the phrase about rodents disembarking from a foundering vessel spring to mind?

Word is that Carrie Symonds has taken control.

No....I'm not joking.

A coup. How exciting. The last time I saw a coup it involved lots of men with tanks and machine guns. Which failed of course, and caused much inconvenience.

She may do a better job. Women usually do.

Why the phrase about rodents disembarking from a foundering vessel spring to mind?

Word is that Carrie Symonds has taken control.

No....I'm not joking.

A coup. How exciting. The last time I saw a coup it involved lots of men with tanks and machine guns. Which failed of course, and caused much inconvenience.

She may do a better job. Women usually do.

So they'll go from one unelected bureaucrat to another.......didn't the Gammon used to have a "thing" for unelected bureaucrats?

Dominic Cummings handing the ticking Brexit bomb back to Boris Johnson and walking out of No.10 just six weeks before the transition period ends!

https://media.giphy.com/media/tOliWHn06z9GE/giphy.gif' alt='GIPHY>'>

Trump on the way out.....to jail, a vaccine, Yorkshire Ripper dies of Covid, and Cummings & Cain get fired from No10!

2020 is really turning a corner.

Dominic Cummings handing the ticking Brexit bomb back to Boris Johnson and walking out of No.10 just six weeks before the transition period ends!

https://media.giphy.com/media/tOliWHn06z9GE/giphy.gif' alt='GIPHY>'>

Trump on the way out.....to jail, a vaccine, Yorkshire Ripper dies of Covid, and Cummings & Cain get fired from No10!

2020 is really turning a corner.

that bitch Thatcher has a lot to answer for, i remember it well , no warning , just one day no milk :shock: