Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

6 hours ago, Bender said:

I was going to clean the bike but I don't want to get off the sofa 

DSC_1342.JPG

We are having a log burner fitted this year (at least that's the plan) Can't wait!!  🔥

4 hours ago, Tiggie said:

We are having a log burner fitted this year (at least that's the plan) Can't wait!!  🔥

We have a log burner, I have had gase ffect log burner in previous house.

If I was fitting one again depending on a few factors, I would look at a gas one.

95% efficient, easy to operate,

Quite cost effective to run,

can be thermostatically controlled,

Reduced dust,

No log purchasing and storage issues,

No spending day lugging logs to back off house,

Minimum warmup time,

no ash to dispose off,

Each to their own...

however the is something about a a real fire...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tiggie said:

The heat from the log burner is incredible, our livingroom often exceeds 30 😁 

Wood only burners have no grate in the bottom and no ash pan, the wood burns from too down and you just stick new wood onto of the ash till ash gets too high and you throw some put 😁 

They burn slightly slower than multi fuel, but with grate it's like blast furnace if you need it, we got multi fuel, I think coal is going to be pretty much removed from the market.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bender said:

The heat from the log burner is incredible, our livingroom often exceeds 30 😁 

Wood only burners have no grate in the bottom and no ash pan, the wood burns from too down and you just stick new wood onto of the ash till ash gets too high and you throw some put 😁 

They burn slightly slower than mul fuel, but with grate it's like blast furnace if you need it, we got multi fuel, I think coal is going to be pretty much removed from the market.

eeeeekkkkk 4 weeks and my log burner is being fitted :) 

• Like 3

Just now, Bender said:

You don't have it that hot, it just happens 😁 

Crap picture but you can just about make out 34

Screenshot_20210201-105351.png

yeah ....... that's when you open all the doors in the house and let the heat extend out. It'll be better than wrapping myself up in an electric blanket whilst watching telly at night  :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stedebs said:

yeah ....... that's when you open all the doors in the house and let the heat extend out. It'll be better than wrapping myself up in an electric blanket whilst watching telly at night  :) 

That's  with doors open haha, that usually happens around the 28c mark, the bedroom is above livingroom and it's certainly toasty, flue passes through bedroom wall

• Like 1

5 hours ago, onesea said:

We have a log burner, I have had gase ffect log burner in previous house.

If I was fitting one again depending on a few factors, I would look at a gas one.

95% efficient, easy to operate,

Quite cost effective to run,

can be thermostatically controlled,

Reduced dust,

No log purchasing and storage issues,

No spending day lugging logs to back off house,

Minimum warmup time,

no ash to dispose off,

Each to their own...

however the is something about a a real fire...

What are these “log storage issues” of which you speak? 😇

We have three wood burners in the house. They’re  “characterful” but given my choice, I’d rather have gas fires for the ability to better control the heat output. The cost of replacing them, though, would be prohibitive. Since we have, in the short term, our own supply of wood from managing the trees in our garden, we’ll stick with the wood burners.

377CF178-1E48-4FAE-8B6B-BD27CCD1FBE3.jpeg

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

What are these “log storage issues” of which you speak? 😇

We have three wood burners in the house. They’re  “characterful” but given my choice, I’d rather have gas fires for the ability to better control the heat output. The cost of replacing them, though, would be prohibitive. Since we have, in the short term, our own supply of wood from managing the trees in our garden, we’ll stick with the wood burners.

377CF178-1E48-4FAE-8B6B-BD27CCD1FBE3.jpeg

Blimey our log supplier said there’s a shortage and they can’t deliver at the moment so... could someone tell me how geotags on photos work? I feel a midnight theft maybe coming your way 😂

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Blimey our log supplier said there’s a shortage and they can’t deliver at the moment so... could someone tell me how geotags on photos work? I feel a midnight theft maybe coming your way 😂

There can't be that much of a shortage. My wife works in a school as a teaching assistant, the teacher who she works with rang her last week to say she'd be late in. Apparently she'd gone out to the car only to find a tipper wagon dumping a ton of logs on her drive so she couldn't get the car out. When she told the guy she hadn't ordered any logs and didn't even have an open fire he just shrugged and drove off.

12 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

There can't be that much of a shortage. My wife works in a school as a teaching assistant, the teacher who she works with rang her last week to say she'd be late in. Apparently she'd gone out to the car only to find a tipper wagon dumping a ton of logs on her drive so she couldn't get the car out. When she told the guy she hadn't ordered any logs and didn't even have an open fire he just shrugged and drove off.

Nice driver!! Well that’s wot the guy said and as they sell logs for a living I don’t think he was fibbing 😂

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

We had a few trees felled last year, two because they were dangerous, two because they were too close to the house (advised by surveyor) and an Ash suffering from Ash dieback. I had the tree surgeons cut them into lengths suitable for the burners. The trunk sections I attacked with an axe, the branches with a hydraulic log splitter. 

This year we’re having two birch trees taken down as they look like they’re about to fall over, and the canopy raised on some beech trees. I’ll also be pruning a couple of apple trees. 

Shortage? 

All these people with overheated houses. No wonder bugs are running wild! Personally anything over 22 is uncomfortable for me. In the bedroom we keep it to 17 and have a window open in just about all weathers. My wife likes it even colder.:shock:

22 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

All these people with overheated houses. No wonder bugs are running wild! Personally anything over 22 is uncomfortable for me. In the bedroom we keep it to 17 and have a window open in just about all weathers. My wife likes it even colder.:shock:

We’re lucky if the house reaches 17 degrees, and the bedrooms 15 degrees. Wood frame, single glazed windows, doors that don’t fit the door frames, and little insulation do not a warm house make. 

• Like 1