Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

Good Evening :thumb: 2 and a half hours into what already feels like a very long shift!

I'm sintering a furnace! that's about as close to cooking as I'm going to get tonight! 😀

very cold and windy outside! and I had a few flakes of snow on the drive here

• Like 2

I am beginning to feel like a dodgy trader here! 

Sold my project bike yesterday went and bought another car today! then sold my old car tonight! 

The new car has cost me £100 :lol: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rennie said:

Good Evening :thumb: 2 and a half hours into what already feels like a very long shift!

I'm sintering a furnace! that's about as close to cooking as I'm going to get tonight! 😀

very cold and windy outside! and I had a few flakes of snow on the drive here

The ‘feels like’ temperature down here this week is -6 to -8 

As it’s not biking weather you can bet your arse this will be the week full of emergency returns!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

I am beginning to feel like a dodgy trader here! 

Sold my project bike yesterday went and bought another car today! then sold my old car tonight! 

The new car has cost me £100 :lol: 

Right so what model lada did you buy 😁 

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

Volvo v50! 

It's less of a shed than the car I have just sold! 

If you start having electric problems Google volvo fuse box, loads including yours have problems with corrosion and bizarre problems related to it.

Don't Google it till you have them, ignorance is bliss 😁 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Bender said:

If you start having electric problems Google volvo fuse box, loads including yours have problems with corrosion and bizarre problems related to it.

Don't Google it till you have them, ignorance is bliss 😁 

I won't mention the Christmas tree dash lights on my V40 then. Or the times every warning message comes up. Or the times the dash simply stops working altogether while driving along. Or.... You get the idea.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, rennie said:

I keep saying I'm going to change my car! :scratch: might get round to it 1 day.

I've eaten more than half of tonlght's food already! :D

It's really cold every time I go out of the office tonight!

EE17278D-8CD6-4C28-B742-595B9298A054.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Mr Fro said:

I won't mention the Christmas tree dash lights on my V40 then. Or the times every warning message comes up. Or the times the dash simply stops working altogether while driving along. Or.... You get the idea.

Yup that's the one 👍 

In-laws had it, did mental things, locked doors, Turned lights of, put indicators on, every warning message/light going, limp home, all whilst driving.

• Sad 1

Couldn't get out the drive this morning - too much snow, no grip under the car tyres to get up the hill.

Roast chicken for us. Bit of a treat really.

Enough over for chicken pie tomorrow. 

15 minutes ago, bonio said:

Couldn't get out the drive this morning - too much snow, no grip under the car tyres to get up the hill.

Roast chicken for us. Bit of a treat really.

Enough over for chicken pie tomorrow. 

Perhaps you can post some of the leftovers to @NeilM his dog likes roast chicken 😂

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Bender said:

Yup that's the one 👍 

In-laws had it, did mental things, locked doors, Turned lights of, put indicators on, every warning message/light going, limp home, all whilst driving.

Not just me then!

Best one I had was at my gran's funeral - I was supposed to give some lifts from the crem to the wake but couldn't get the doors to unlock.

Enjoy the new car @Stu!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, dynax said:

Good morning we have some snow and going shopping in a bit :thumb:

Good morning. We, too, have snow. We’re having a delivery of woodchip today. It may just stay in a pile for a short time. 

C56D23FA-8112-4505-9453-3EA4632E2DDF.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Fro said:

Not just me then!

Best one I had was at my gran's funeral - I was supposed to give some lifts from the crem to the wake but couldn't get the doors to unlock.

Enjoy the new car @Stu!

Nope, they had the same, they been locked in and locked out in the same day 😁 

Main dealer were hopeless, auto electrician couldn’t work it out, they sent them to an independent volvo place near Tyne tunnel, they just said £900. Fetch it in we know what it is.

Random useless information because I am bored.

People often refer to the reception after a funeral as a 'wake'. Technically this is incorrect as the wake always took place the night before a funeral, never after it. The term and tradition stems from the fact that before the mid-19th century burial grounds were re-used every 100 years or so. When a burial ground was full they would go back to the oldest part and re-use the ground. Usually there was nothing left, but any remains left were removed and replaced in a charnel house.

As populations grew grave space became re-used more frequently so they were digging up coffins which were still intact. This is the gruesome bit - when removing those coffins they sometimes found scratch marks on the inside of the lid. Clearly the deceased hadn't actually been dead when buried and I'll leave the rest to your imagination. In the days when medical science was less precise mistakes happened.

The Victorians were terrified of being buried alive. Sailors for example, being sewn into their hammock before being buried at sea had the last stitch through their nose to make sure they were really dead. On land people had small belfries attached over a coffin that stood above ground for a period after the burial. A cord ran into the coffin so if the deceased woke up they could pull the cord to attract attention. It is where the expression 'saved by the bell' comes from.

The night before a funeral the coffin was brought to the family home where a wake was held. This was a noisy party to wake the dead. Hence the term - wake. 

• Like 3

I hate going to the average funeral, can't be doing with the dressed in black mourning the deceased bollox, give them a proper send off and party hard and loud to celebrate their life :thumb:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dynax said:

I hate going to the average funeral, can't be doing with the dressed in black mourning the deceased bollox, give them a proper send off and party hard and loud to celebrate their life :thumb:

We’re doing a David Bowie. A simple cremation, no funeral. We’ve put a small amount of cash in trust for the kids to organise a family gathering - meal, piss up, whatever. 

My good lady’s ex-husband did this, and it was far, far better for all concerned.  In case you’re wondering, their divorce was civilised and she was the executor for his estate so had to organise all this.

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 1