Touring Bike Advice

Andriko

Ive seen people use the MT series for touring, or any bike that isn't leaning over the tank like a sports bike. After chatting with a few guys out and about, the general feeling is the tourer bikes or adventure bikes have you ride more sensible.

There are the big tourers like the pan European which is huge. Some bikes like the gs1200 are large bikes compared to the likes of Bandits etc.

The Bandits and fazers, XJ600 etc are great all round bikes you can ride all over on. You may get to try some on training if the trainers have a mix of bikes,.

1 minute ago, jedibiker said:

Ive seen people use the MT series for touring, or any bike that isn't leaning over the tank like a sports bike. After chatting with a few guys out and about, the general feeling is the tourer bikes or adventure bikes have you ride more sensible.

There are the big tourers like the pan European which is huge. Some bikes like the gs1200 are large bikes compared to the likes of Bandits etc.

The Bandits and fazers, XJ600 etc are great all round bikes you can ride all over on. You may get to try some on training if the trainers have a mix of bikes,.

Sorry, Goldwing is huge

Pan European is a proper man size bike :P 

• Like 1

The bike itself is pretty irrelevant any bike can be used for touring, the main question you have to ask yourself is " What do i want to get out of touring ?".

Everyone's idea of touring is different and what appeals to one will not necessarily appeal to another.

Taking supplies and luggage, what will you actually need on your tour, travelling with bare essential's or taking everything but the proverbial kitchen sink.

Where will you be touring, are there a good amount of service stations on your route for fuel and other essential's, having a huge fuel drinking bike could well leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere, where as a more conservative bike may well be more prudent.

What i suggest is watching a few YT clips of other peoples tours, might give you some idea to what is involved.

Many seasoned tourers will know what can be achieved on certain types of bikes,  join some FB groups for specific bikes and ask questions, lots of questions, one thing about bikers they love to talk about their machines.

There are probably other thing's to consider, but by and large the main point is not to overthink it and just enjoy the experience, you will not get it right first time or even the second.

Going back to bikes, even bikes with pedals can go anywhere, enjoy :thumb:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andriko said:

That Harley is exactly the kind of bike I have dreamed of since I was a kid. I have yet to see one I could actually afford though!

There are loads of well cared for Sportsters in the £3,500 to £4,500 bracket . 

The top picture is at Fort William campsite . My GSXR in the foreground and a couple of Harleys in the Background . I said to myself there and then , this time next year it will be my Harley in that space . It actually took two years but sometimes you've just got to ignore the pros and cons and commit to doing something . 

Polish_20200604_214025292.jpg

• Like 2

Back in the 70s I used a 125 for days out with the GF all over the north of England  that said I'm probably the same weight now as the pair of us where then. In more recent times I have used a ER6 two up  A sprint GT and a BMWR1200RT  There is certainly more then enough grunt in a ER6 for most  requirements and they are much easier to handle than a Trophy or similar.   I come across far too many riders who pass the their direct access then go a buy a litre plus bike, only to find it too heavy  too bike  or too powerful can't ride it well because they are scared by it.   Buy a mid size bike  get used to it and gain some experience  if later you find that does not meet your needs you can always trade up.

Also if you are considering touring test ride any bike for several hours before you buy it.   If your touring you could be in the saddle for a whole day, not good if your in pain after an hour or two because the riding position does not suite you.

• Like 1

Yup. I knew a young lad who passed his DAS, got himself some wild stallion of a Ducati sportsbike, and only rode it a few times before he scared himself and gave up. I didn't know him well enough, or I'd have pushed him into replacing it with a Fazer 600.

I wouldn't worry about a big bike. I passed my DAS and my first big bike was a ST1100. I paid for it to be delivered and was sh*t scared the first time I had to get it out of my garage (my drive slopes backwards and sideways as well) As it was a big bike I gave it a lot of respect and used to practice the slow speed maneuvers unitl I became really comfortable with handling it. I think if I had purchased a smaller bike I may have injured myself as I think I may have been tempted to throw it around a bit more in the early days.

Moved from St1100 to St1300 and never had a problem- I can still get it moving as quick as my mates on their smaller bikes.

I meant to say that they are great touring bikes- loads of luggage space, good fuel range and protection from weather

Edited by sm0129
  • Like 1

@sm0129 I think the thing that scares me more about a bigger engine is how sensitive the throttle may or may not be. I was always respectful of the old 125cc I used to have, though I also discovered that it got a lot of respect too - it looked and sounded much bigger that it was, and quite a few drivers seemed more scared of me than I was of them! At least I felt somewhat confident they knew I was there!

9 minutes ago, Andriko said:

@sm0129 I think the thing that scares me more about a bigger engine is how sensitive the throttle may or may not be. I was always respectful of the old 125cc I used to have, though I also discovered that it got a lot of respect too - it looked and sounded much bigger that it was, and quite a few drivers seemed more scared of me than I was of them! At least I felt somewhat confident they knew I was there!

You need to compare power/weight.

My ST1300 is as responsive on the throttle as the VT700 only when you will roll it up all the way you will feel the full power.

Of course you don't take of on an Pan European the way you would do on a 125. usually you just rev up to 2.5 ~ 3k rpm to start on a level road. But I'm sure it won't take long for you to get used to it.

As someone said above, practice makes perfection :thumb: (or something like that :P)  

13 minutes ago, Six30 said:

pair of twats

Possibly genuine contenders for TOTY ... actual high milage riders ...  rather than "virtual" Bikers ... The amount of time some people are on this site means their not getting astride the mighty throbbing motorcycle very often ..... :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Trooper74

10 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

Possibly genuine contenders for TOTY ... actual high milage riders ...  rather than "virtual" Bikers ... The amount of time some people are on this site means their not getting astride the mighty throbbing motorcycle very often ..... :classic_biggrin:

Have you ever thought of getting a " Mighty throbbing motorcycle " ? 

• Haha 1

The Elephant man procreated with an actual Elephant and spat out a monstrosity named Guzzi. In Italy theyre jumping off high rise buildings so they never have to see that again. 
If I met them I’d beg them to scrape away the carbuncles and if inclement weather was that much of a burden then please just stay put until it passes.
It’s a car with two wheels.

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey
That aside great mileage.

39 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Have you ever thought of getting a " Mighty throbbing motorcycle " ? 

My god yes it throbs ,,,, .... but  been there, done that, .... from ZZR 1100's to Mighty MZ's .... Gixers to TZ powered YammaGammas ... But love my throbbing RE.

10 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The Elephant man procreated with an actual Elephant and spat out a monstrosity named Guzzi. In Italy theyre jumping off high rise buildings so they never have to see that again. 
If I met them I’d beg them to scrape away the carbuncles and if inclement weather was that much of a burden then please just stay put until it passes.
It’s a car with two wheels.

But you'll never meet them .... because their across the world having adventures ... and your not ...:-(

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Nice. 

True ... buts it's easy for you or anyone to critique people in a negative manner ... go and have an adventure ... take risk ... but just have an adventure ..... My life has been in pursuit of adventure  .... and it fits with families .... go and do something ..

Edited by Trooper74