XTreme is a Gammon thread

Bender

Message added by Tiggie,

This is @XTremes thread not @Benders

7 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

My other half reserves a very entertaining line for deluded zealots that I think you’d enjoy a lot.

He joins in with them on whatever nonsense they’re spouting, they will then let rip their full blown loony theories which he will agree with and take them a step further getting more and more outlandish until eventually they’ve stepped way beyond even the mad stuff they believe. They’ll be nodding away heartily agreeing “quite right, yes yes exactly” until suddenly it dawns on them they’ve agreed it’s a good idea to amputate thieves arms or send single mothers to prison.
The look on their face as it dawns on them what’s just happened is priceless. I reckon you’d rock that one 😂

The thing that always strikes me about the doorstep proselytizers is that they are invariably very sketchy on all of the details about the afterlife except for the ones that reinforce their own prejudices. They can't tell you the first thing about what Heaven is like or what there is to do when you get there, but they do know that homosexuals can't get in. Atheists don't usually seem to be too welcome either, although I have often found more flexibility on this issue than on dicky up the chuff: after all, we might simply have been born too stupid to see the light. But then God does seem inordinately preoccupied with our genitalia and what we get up to with them, with whom and in what positions. Strange bloke.

• Haha 1

I've grown very tired of the doorstep proselytizers. I used to get some fun out them, mainly because it's so easy to run rings round their emaciated theology, but the sport of taking their ludicrous cartoon of God and finding in it an object for disbelief - it becomes a bit samey.

Reminds me of "Lake Woebegone, where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average. Everyone there is Lutheran. Even the atheists are Lutheran.  It is a Lutheran God they don’t believe in." :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Back in the good old days Lisnave  drydocks were just across the river on the south side. Spent many happy evenings  in small bars where they grilled sardines over charcoal and washed down with lots of vinho verde.

Lisnave has been closed for a very long time and they have slowly dismantle it. The project was to turn it into a sea front similar what was done in '98 in north Lisbon in the Parque das nações (Expo 98)

The good news is that the bars and cafes still exist, there are a few more of them

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6879698,-9.1479931,3a,75y,238.72h,87.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scj-IZnCFiO3QCcg4Wm21Xw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The 2 older restaurants in Cacilhas are still there apparently :)

A Cabrinha and A Cacilheira the first one used to serve the best seafood you could have.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6871604,-9.1479635,3a,62.1y,294.36h,93.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1so4etS_g-VbhUE1bpmK3BmA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

56 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I think you're setting the bar a bit high in your expectations of this place!

It's best just not set any bar on here, confused as I'm pretty sure we mostly all have bikes, we are always sharing ideas and experiences, even when others don't like them.

1 hour ago, husoi said:

Lisnave has been closed for a very long time and they have slowly dismantle it. The project was to turn it into a sea front similar what was done in '98 in north Lisbon in the Parque das nações (Expo 98)

The good news is that the bars and cafes still exist, there are a few more of them

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6879698,-9.1479931,3a,75y,238.72h,87.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scj-IZnCFiO3QCcg4Wm21Xw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The 2 older restaurants in Cacilhas are still there apparently :)

A Cabrinha and A Cacilheira the first one used to serve the best seafood you could have.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6871604,-9.1479635,3a,62.1y,294.36h,93.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1so4etS_g-VbhUE1bpmK3BmA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

They moved the shipyards down the coast to Setubal. Still going strong or they were 5 years ago when I was last there.

12 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

They moved the shipyards down the coast to Setubal. Still going strong or they were 5 years ago when I was last there.

Setenave was the sister company from Lisnave Lis as in Lisbon and Set as in Setubal :) 

Because Setnave is a lot smaller than Lisnave they managed to keep running.

Lisnave closed for a short period back in the 70's but because at the time was the largest dry dock in the world it was the only place where the largest tankers could be serviced so they had to open it again. But a few years later other large docks opened so they start making even less money and closedown. 

Note that both Setenave and Lisnave are located in Setubal district.

https://ecmarine.com/setubal.html A brief history of Lisnave

• Like 1

OK if it's all going random let me ask how @XTreme has lived so long when he lives somewhere where this strange light seems to make life difficult. Mud and ice and I cope with, but this is nasty. It also seems to make ladies in Micras do strange things on roundabouts.

• Like 1

Wasn't certain where to post this, is it Gammon related or Corona virus related...

Funny old we are getting a German made vaccine before they are, or is it us being used as guinea pigs?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/dec/15/germany-to-begin-vaccinating-against-covid-within-two-weeks