Meanwhile in Westminster .

fastbob

53 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

That's one of the more barbaric practices inflicted on cats. Like docking dogs tails, something I hate to see.

Couldn't agree more . Getting shredded occasionally is all part of living with a cat . 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Like docking dogs tails

I don't know about cats and claws pulled.

Working Dogs getting tails docked can save them allot of pain and discomfort.

Dogs that work in undergrowth and the like can end up with constantly injured tails and pain.

Even our hound as a pet that avoids thick undergrowth and pain, running in the forest routinely gets cuts and wounds on his undocked tail.

It's not uncommon to spend evenings trying to stop him licking his  latest wound (not always the tail).

Previously I had working (yes they where worked) Cockers they where docked, they loved working thick undergrowth.  After experiences with this dog they would of constantly been in cones of shame.

It's funny how tail docking is seen as cruel, yet castration is seen as correct.

Even though most dog breeders and rescue centres do it at FAR to young an age causing no end of problems in the dogs mental development and suffering later in the dogs life due to badly formed joints.

If you want to reduce animal cruelty to dogs look at the over beeding of dogs giving medical problems.

The kennel club have allot to answer for on this..

https://m.ranker.com/list/dog-breeds-from-100-years-ago/nathan-gibson

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

I'll give you the harm that breeders influenced by kennel club have done to dogs. We had a "field bred" labrador that looked completely different to a show bred lump. Other breeds the same. I'll debate the spaniel issue as a friend of mine has spaniel gundogs and the worst bits for getting damaged in undergrowth is the ears. The whole excessively furry thing gets constantly caught up with brambles etc. My real gripe is docking the tails of smooth coated dogs such as terriers. There is zero justification for it.

Edited by S-Westerly

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

I'll give you the harm that breeders influenced by kennel club have done to dogs. We had a "field bred" labrador that looked completely different to a show bred lump. Other breeds the same. I'll debate the spaniel issue as a friend of mine has spaniel gundogs and the worst bits for getting damaged in undergrowth is the ears. The whole excessively furry thing gets constantly caught up with brambles etc. My real gripe is docking the tails of smooth coated dogs such as terriers. There is zero justification for it.

yeh Dobermans , thats just looks and ears pinned as well , no need.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Six30 said:

yeh Dobermans , thats just looks and ears pinned as well , no need.

Like most things at the time it was done for a reason. It was considered a benefit.

Terrorists sorry terriors had there tails cropped for going down fox and badger sets and easy retrieval.

Spaniels ears, the old matted ears and burrs, a real Pita.

In days gone by most dogs where bread with a purpose.

Defense, hauling, hunting etc...

Now days allot of breeds are bought by people  who don't always know what they are getting themselves into.

On which thought my hound needs the first of its daily walks 4-5 miles (for us) a day or he will not settle.

Want a day off 10+ miles the day before, might do it if your lucky.

The Kennel club is guilty of being passive, they could/should have taken stronger action to prevent these things happening. They made an attempt at encouraging healthy breeding with their assured breeder scheme which is very detailed and includes the inbreeding coefficient to ensure breeders are not intensively inbreeding to cement certain traits but they then decided to charge big bucks to belong to this scheme which causes you a lot of work and so everyone left it- why pay to belong to something that is hard work and costs you money? So I agree the kennel club hasn’t done enough but it’s the breeders who warp the dogs gene pool and it’s the breeders who become the judges (you have to be a respected breeder to become a judge) and they are so deep in it they also look for the current fashions rather than dog health. 

The kennel club does intervene sometimes and it does this by not allowing dogs through to the final ring that have been bred or interfered with in a way that’s detrimental to their health. If you mess with the dogs conformation and move away from the prescribed breed standard you simply won’t make the final cut. Dog showing is ridiculously competitive and a lot of the people who do it can’t see what they’re doing is wrong. When breeders went too far giving German Shepherds sloping backs and ruining their hips in the process not a single German Shepherd made it through to the final, same with pinned ears or overly brachycephalic heads-  you’re out. So the breeders then change what they’re doing because they really want a win. There are good breeders out there, ones that pick healthy breeds and make the effort to get a good match but you get tarred with the same brush as the bad dog breeders, treated as if you’re an awful person so mainly they just give up which is a shame because if we go down the morally superior path of all getting our dogs from a dog homes there will be no distinct breeds left. 

• Like 1

Would the lack of distinct breeds be such a loss though? For the dogs at least. My favourites are stroppy terriers for which Patterdales are perfect as they are not really a breed but more a broad type. Mainly small, black, deviously clever wee dogs.

Guest Richzx6r

For me if we had a dog and I know its stereotypical but.....it would have to be something big not one of the yappy over grown things.

Something like a husky or something but we will probably never get a dog as the missus doesn't like them 

23 minutes ago, Richzx6r said:

Something like a husky or something but we will probably never get a dog as the missus doesn't like them 

If you have never had a dog and even think about having one.  As soon as you think of a breed Google what your letting yourself in for.

IMHO Husky's are not a good first dog. To many go for looks not characteristics.

One of ours requires allot of free running (hound type dog).  Then we live on the edge of the New Forest. 

Like the looks all dogs types have traits. You have to look at your family your circumstances.

If your considering a cross breed a Labradodle, cockapoo think your going to get the worst of both dogs... 

Not saying don't get a dog just choose wisely and remember the commitment.

Today's Walk: Just when you think you can trust the buggers...

Ours found another heard of deer, a sympathetic passer by thanked us as ours chasing them stopped alerted him. He  stoped his dog chasing them.

He then complimented us on his stamina, his good looks and his navigation to comeback to us.

"When I saw him he was on top of that hill over there and going strong".

Just measured it that was over 2 miles away, he just came back and joined us when he was done, little shit.

Edited by onesea
To add today's walk...
  • Like 1

Too many people get a dog as a fashion accessory which usually ends in tears. If your  missus doesn't like them forget it, doubt the marital strife involved in house training a dog would be worthwhile. And huskies are high maintenance dogs which need loads of exercise. Our lab used to get 2 x 2 mile walks every single day, rain or shine. Think about it very carefully.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, rightstuff said:

can't see the point in dogs smelly noisey and dangerous been bitten many  times hate the things 

You could say the same thing about many things.

Revenue inspectors, @Six30 and ex spouses spring easily to mind.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Never been bitten by a dog ever. Most only bite if provoked.

I have .. twice, proper through the flesh to the bone bites ... by our lovely Westie, at the vets ... he's terrified of the vets ... and like most Westie males he thinks he's a wolf !! Covered the walls in a spray of my blood last time ... Such a gentle dog ... until he's at the vets ....

• Haha 1

I think the majority of people see dog ownership as walks and rough and tumble fun moments .... it's not.

You are entering into possibly 15 years of Sh1t Management, cleaning it up, not standing in it, hosing it away, throwing it into the second home owners garden next door ...etc

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

I have .. twice, proper through the flesh to the bone bites ... by our lovely Westie, at the vets ... he's terrified of the vets ... and like most Westie males he thinks he's a wolf !! Covered the walls in a spray of my blood last time ... Such a gentle dog ... until he's at the vets ....

Well taking him to the vet counts as provoking! Don't  use a muzzle for that?

5 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Well taking him to the vet counts as provoking! Don't  use a muzzle for that?

A muzzle .... you first ... best of luck .... 🤣   been there ... spectacular fail .....

10kg Westie 1 ... 3 adults 0    ....  that's the Highland League and Shinty results for today  ....:classic_biggrin:

Edited by Trooper74
  • Haha 2