Fazer 600 2003 manifold bolts

jedibiker

25 minutes ago, TimR said:

Have you actually looked into the rocker cover .

Just wondering if where you drilled to far it hasn't ' blown' part of the casing and this is rattling around or worse still even into a exhaust port and through valve

I think the time for further speculation has passed and the time to pull the camshafts has arrived .

10 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

I shattered by sump

and bent my exhaust. Have replaced the sump now I need to put my new second hand exhaust on. Put it all back together and fill with oil.

ah yeah i saw that. glad thats working out ok.. how dirty was the oil pump thing in the sump?

29 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

ah yeah i saw that. glad thats working out ok.. how dirty was the oil pump thing in the sump?

The Oil Strainer Gauze . 

10 minutes ago, WD40 said:

More speculating. You did the oil change didn't you? Are you sure you put enough oil back in?

yeah and its showing as nearly full. does sound like oil not getting to the top doesnt it. was tempted to check oil filter in sump, another gasket though. and no doubt nuts wont come off lol

I don't think this is an oil issue . It's metal hitting metal . A splash of oil isn't going to make that go away . 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Like the other said take the cam cover off and check if oil is getting up to the cams and around the valves. The cam cover gasket is rubber so you won't need a new gasket

Bonus thanks

13 minutes ago, fastbob said:

I don't think this is an oil issue . It's metal hitting metal . A splash of oil isn't going to make that go away . 

Why does metal hit metal though? Lack of oil. As an example, pistons rings against cylinders,  big end bearings against crankshaft, camshaft against camshaft bearings. They all need a thin layer of oil between them or it's metal on metal and they're ruined. I'm just trying to think of logical reasons why, before he did this work he had no noise. Then he drops the oil, drills a stud out too far and straight after he has serious noise. All he touched was oil and exhaust so logically the problem is from one of those areas.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Why does metal hit metal though? Lack of oil. As an example, pistons rings against cylinders,  big end bearings against crankshaft, camshaft against camshaft bearings. They all need a thin layer of oil between them or it's metal on metal and they're ruined. I'm just trying to think of logical reasons why, before he did this work he had no noise. Then he drops the oil, drills a stud out too far and straight after he has serious noise. All he touched was oil and exhaust so logically the problem is from one of those areas.

thats my thinking so will have to go look.

2 minutes ago, skyrider said:

and leave bikes with fairings alone too they make life hard work 

Done my time . 

Polish_20210305_191609200.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Well we'll all have to wait and see then . 

• Like 1

Worst case scenario if you have to replace the head. I think you'd get a used head and a new OEM head gasket for around £200. It's a pain that this happened but it's not the end of the world you should sort it fairly cheap.

Just now, WD40 said:

Worst case scenario if you have to replace the head. I think you'd get a used head and a new OEM head gasket for around £200. It's a pain that this happened but it's not the end of the world you should sort it fairly cheap.

ive seen a full engine for 200 so i am tempted lol

8 minutes ago, WD40 said:

What do think the problem is?

I don't have enough information and I'm not hands on but to me it sounds like a cam lobe striking something .

I have a gut feeling when i drilled to far I may have it the head bolt, which in turn has got some junk into the engine. I thought the head bolt sat in its own tunnel which is kind of sealed off. as oil is getting into that tunnel it shows something could also get into the oil. it can be the only reason for an engine problem as ive not touched any other part of the engine and it run fine before.

So, this would mean more than a head needed as junk is in the engine and maybe stuck to something. Il check the cams first and work my way down. if the chains loose il try that tighter first. I feel like getting the head off and fixing the drill issue anyway so I know it wont ever leak. Id look at cost of an engine versus fixing though if its too deep. Thats where my thoughts are at, and its all I can think about at the minute.