Fazer 600 2003 manifold bolts

jedibiker

well you wont believe it. it started with a booster. did charge battery too but it seemed ok.

but,, at some point and it was joked about, something must have got inside. maybe through the hole i drilled to far with. but i f#cked it up.. you may gloat laugh etc but Im gutted beyond explanation

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r6sjth9gghwg1g4/20210226_141646.mp4?dl=0

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

Start it from cold and get your hands in around the manifold and the head and see if its leaking 

I can't see how you have got anything in there to be honest 

maybe through the hole i drilled to far, any particle of metal gone into engine maybe, would thought it would just make way to sump. cant see or feel any leak from manifold.

Here is a better video https://www.dropbox.com/s/po7e1sdqjbhsqls/20210226_153744.mp4?dl=0

if it really is a case of the manifold needing to be better sealed il get it off and helicoil it to make sure lol. got to get it right or il be stripping engine.. which means good bye engine.

I actually agree with @Stu especially as you would be amazed at how loud a leak from around the headers can be.

To reduce risk to your hands dangle strips of tissue paper round the join between head and pipes to look for leaks before reaching for the tools.

Good luck.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

tried to make smoke but struggled haha. its outside too.

how does a leaky manifold make the engine sound like its tapping inside etc? this sounds like something is wearing inside.

If you ever start an engine with the header pipes not attached you will be surprised at how "mechanical" and "sharp" the noises can be.

I am not advocating this at all lol.

Also sometimes when a leak is comparitevely small and close to the manifold join it is very loud.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

A small manifold leak will cause a sharp knocking sound. I used to work a lot on the three cylinder Corsas and the three pot engines often cracked the manifold. People usually assumed it was something nasty internally.

A mechanic's stethoscope is a handy tool to have. Or just a big screwdriver, put your ear to the handle and the tip on various bits of the engine. It's a good way to track down noises.

• Like 1

If the only exhaust stud you drilled too deep was the outside one I don't think it is possible to drill into the cylinder from there. If you went too deep there you'd be drilling into a head stud not the cylinder. See the rounded section in the engine casting in your picture? That rounded section is for the head stud. If you went too deep into that exhaust stud you'd hit the head stud.

You could try some talc powder around the header or baking flower to look for an exhaust leak. The long screwdriver trick is a good idea too.

20210216_165919.jpg.e99366fc6bf79aa807d3020cc969019b.jpg

3 minutes ago, WD40 said:

If the only exhaust stud you drilled too deep was the outside one I don't think it is possible to drill into the cylinder from there. If you went too deep there you'd be drilling into a head stud not the cylinder. See the rounded section in the engine casting in your picture? That rounded section is for the head stud. If you went too deep into that exhaust stud you'd hit the head stud.

You could try some talc powder around the header or baking flower to look for an exhaust leak. The long screwdriver trick is a good idea too.

20210216_165919.jpg.e99366fc6bf79aa807d3020cc969019b.jpg

It is the only one and first one I drilled too deep. I probably went a few mm too deep. the rest i taped the drill bit at 10mm and have had no other leaks. So even drilling too deep there cant hit anything bad?

@Mississippi Bullfrog I did put scredriver on the engine and it didnt sound too bad, not that im an expert and the exhaust sounds as it should at the back. apart from this drill hole and maybe some bits of metal getting inside i cant see what else it could be if its not the manifold.

Il helicoil it and get it all much tighter. talc does seem a clever idea too.

10mm will be fine. If you think about it it's not possible to drill into the cylinder because the exhaust studs are in the head and the head is above the cylinders so you're drilling above the cylinders. You know what I mean?

If you look at the picture. If you went to deep on the the outside exhaust stud you'd go through the passage where the head studs are and hit the head studs. If you went too deep on any of the other ones you'd go into the water jacket which is the space where coolant circulates to cool the head.

s-l1600.jpg.3ce114ad2f095f519a1235de8e1f3969.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bender said:

2nd video sounds more like exhaust leak, don't bother with smoke matches they give off very little, buy a small pack of smoke pellets 

Do vapes or a 20 pack of camel do the same thing?

Used to test smoke heads on fire alarms with cigarette smoke. Much more reliable than sprays and I believe the sprays left a residue making the detector heads sensitive.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, onesea said:

Do vapes or a 20 pack of camel do the same thing?

Used to test smoke heads on fire alarms with cigarette smoke. Much more reliable than sprays and I believe the sprays left a residue making the detector heads sensitive.

20 pack would be the old choice 😁 

Usually I set the smoke alarms off with the blowtorch unintentionally.

Well I hope I'm wrong but that sounds very mechanical to me . If you want to rule out an exhaust leak , no need to be messing around with smoke . Just smother each header one  at a time with a rag . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fastbob said:

Well I hope I'm wrong but that sounds very mechanical to me . If you want to rule out an exhaust leak , no need to be messing around with smoke . Just smother each header one  at a time with a rag . 

Sounds like a slack cam chain to me but I have no idea why the cam chain would have gone slack

Did you fit new gaskets? Are they genuine.

I've used pattern gaskets before that can self destruct.

Also I've had a gasket slip out of position when wriggling the exhaust into place and get deformed as I pulled the nuts up.

When tightening the manifold nuts up do you do it evenly, if you tighten one nut up fully first it could pull the pipe up on the skew and cause a leak.

If you don't have a mechanics stethoscope use any old bit of small bore hose, surprising what noises you can hear.