Fazer 600 2003 manifold bolts

jedibiker

@WD40 makes perfect sense yes thanks.. good to know

@fastbob i agree, just cant work out what would cause such an issue. not had any of the engine in bits.

@Bianco2564yes new ones, and they sat well in place with no wiggle room, i held them in place with silicone gasket to hold em too. Yeah did them all up a bit at a time as was scared to over tighten. struggling to find torque spec but one did say m6 was 10nm. which isnt much.

A center stud hasn't held well, I cant get that one to tighten but thought if the rest were tight it would be ok. clearly that could be it, but the sound just sounds alot more "in engine" than not but ive never started a bike with a loose manifold.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Manifold-Gaskets-Yamaha-FZS-600-Fazer-1998-2003/312433758247?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 these gaskets

Edited by jedibiker

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

Sounds like a slack cam chain to me but I have no idea why the cam chain would have gone slack

My first thought too but upon reflection it sounds a bit  too uniform for a slack camchain . They normally make more of a random chattering sound but I guess it depends on the individual bike . I've never been near a Yamaha with a spanner so I'm not sure . 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fastbob said:

My first thought too but upon reflection it sounds a bit  too uniform for a slack camchain . They normally make more of a random chattering sound but I guess it depends on the individual bike . I've never been near a Yamaha with a spanner so I'm not sure . 

that's true, from the 100's of videos i tried to watch about engine noise, the cam chain ones didn't run uniform. Plus Id be amazed how taking an exhaust off could cause an engine issue. unless welding to the head causes it but I fail to see how.

Il just get the studs re done so I can torque it up proper.

so if anyone knows the torque for m6 nuts id appreciate it lol.

6 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

that's true, from the 100's of videos i tried to watch about engine noise, the cam chain ones didn't run uniform. Plus Id be amazed how taking an exhaust off could cause an engine issue. unless welding to the head causes it but I fail to see how.

Il just get the studs re done so I can torque it up proper.

so if anyone knows the torque for m6 nuts id appreciate it lol.

This is where the Torque Wrench debate usually erupts . If it were me , and particularly in this situation , I would be doing it very cautiously by touch and sight . 

• Like 3

A bit of cam chain noise on those bikes is normal because they have an automatic cam chain adjuster and sometimes it takes a while for the tensioner to advance to the next notch so you get a bit of cam chain ticking that rises and falls with engine rpm. Here's a video of Fazer cam chain noise

And here's a video after a new cam chain was put in

His noise sounds similar to me be a lot more harsh like the cam chain has gone totally slack instead of just the normal amount but I have no idea why his cam chain would go slack after the work he's done.

Edited by WD40

2 minutes ago, WD40 said:

A bit of cam chain noise on those bikes is normal because they have an automatic cam chain adjuster and sometimes it takes a while for the tensioner to advance to the next notch so you get a bit of cam chain ticking that rises and falls with engine rpm. Here's a video of Fazer cam chain noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R8cO4ARzkY

And here's a video after a new cam chain was put in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfkdNUypS8U

His noise sounds similar to me be a lot more harsh like the cam chain has gone totally slack instead of just the normal amount but I have no idea why his cam chain would go slack after the work he's done.

i saw that video, and the sound is similiar but fades with revs, mine gets worse. my sound just seems very extreme for a leaky manifold. but its new to me

5 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

i saw that video, and the sound is similiar but fades with revs, mine gets worse. my sound just seems very extreme for a leaky manifold. but its new to me

Yeah his is normal sound when there's a small bit of slack. Yours sounds like the tensioner has failed or something and there's loads of slack

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WD40 said:

You could try rotating the engine by hand with a ratchet and see if it rotates all the way normally or is something hitting.

Id not know where to start. i  imagine taking off a casing etc, but does that mean oil drain and new gasket?

8 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

Id not know where to start. i  imagine taking off a casing etc, but does that mean oil drain and new gasket?

You'd take off that cover and rotate the engine anti clockwise. I don't think there's oil in there or a gasket. You could have a look on a parts website to know for sure.

Screenshot 2021-02-27 104516.png

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, WD40 said:

You'd take off that cover and rotate the engine anti clockwise. I don't think there's oil in there or a gasket. You could have a look on a parts website to know for sure.

Screenshot 2021-02-27 104516.png

Are you positive it's anti clockwise ? My ER5 is clockwise . 

3 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Are you positive it's anti clockwise ? My ER5 is clockwise . 

Yeah definitely anti clockwise. Says so in the manual in the section for adjusting valve clearance.

a. Turn the crankshaft counterclockwise.
b. When piston #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke, align the TDC mark a on the generator rotor with the mark b on the crankcase.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

Yeah definitely anti clockwise. Says so in the manual in the section for adjusting valve clearance.

a. Turn the crankshaft counterclockwise.
b. When piston #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke, align the TDC mark a on the generator rotor with the mark b on the crankcase.

That's because my ER5 has a Primary Drive Chain instead of direct gear drive . ( Worked it out ) 😁

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

Hopefully that's all it is.  Seems the most likely after what's happened but like @fastbob said it sounds metallic

I had exactly the same sound when I did my turbo project.

Given that I stripped and modified the engine, I thought I'd dropped a major bollock but after much chasing around it was just a leaky exhaust gasket.

It was a combo of the headers I made having one of the branches slightly on the squiff and higher exhaust pressures.

Seriously, don't sweat it until you've had a proper look at how the exhaust mates up.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

exhaust back off. one gasket barely squashed, one stud was loose and one a slight bend already.. so ordering new gaskets and different studs all together.

That's good.  Hopefully new studs and gaskets sort it or at worst a few helicoils. Never heard an exhaust leak sound that bad but I must never have had a leak that bad before!