Fazer 600 2003 manifold bolts

jedibiker

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

That's good.  Hopefully new studs and gaskets sort it or at worst a few helicoils. Never heard an exhaust leak sound that bad but I must never have had a leak that bad before!

It's not just the gases that escape, all the mechanical noise which is very close to the exhaust port escape with it, you could hear the increase in exhaust gases in the second video.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bender said:

It's not just the gases that escape, all the mechanical noise which is very close to the exhaust port escape with it, you could hear the increase in exhaust gases in the second video.

That's a good point. Never thought of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

That's good.  Hopefully new studs and gaskets sort it or at worst a few helicoils. Never heard an exhaust leak sound that bad but I must never have had a leak that bad before!

it really wasn't tight on 2 to be fair. so one helicoil is in. the tap that came with kit isnt amazing but its done it. the other i need more access to will do another day. cheers

#studmuffin

• Like 2

Oh and it wasn't as loud today, mrs wanted to hear it so started it for her, and it was a little better to me haha. she wasn't too happy like. But fingers crossed its better soon.

got new gaskets from wemoto this time. in case ebay ones are rubbish. one gasket wasn't even compressed. a couple of others were looking ok one side and not the other, so a more even approach to the tighten needed or they were crap gaskets.

Might just stick some gasket seal on the top of the new ones too.

its been a long road this one.. not had a drink all week so its a cold beer for me soon..

And I really appreciate the help. Its what makes this place so good to be in..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

And I really appreciate the help. Its what makes this place so good to be in..

H’mm, sometimes I think putting this stuff on the internet feels like doing bike maintenance in the coliseum ... the whole crowd gasping as you make an elementary mistake & the thumbs down from those that know as you hamfistedly cock up yet again!!!

🤣🤣🤣

This place seems pleasantly different, always helpful & although commonly piss taking, never malicious.

• Thanks 1

I don't think I've ever had a go at anyone ever for doing something wrong, I'm more inclined to help them out for trying in the first place, if I can.

Micky taking is par for the course here but it's only lighthearted banter 😁 and sometimes you have to laugh or you would cry.

Fingers crossed it's just the leaking header.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bender said:

:stupid:

I did a job on a car once and forgot to tighten the EGR take off up! 

It sounded a lot lot worse than @jedibiker's video! 

I thought someone had dropped a bag of spanners in the engine 🤯

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickly said:

H’mm, sometimes I think putting this stuff on the internet feels like doing bike maintenance in the coliseum ... the whole crowd gasping as you make an elementary mistake & the thumbs down from those that know as you hamfistedly cock up yet again!!!

🤣🤣🤣

This place seems pleasantly different, always helpful & although commonly piss taking, never malicious.

I know of another place that would just be full of pointless replies. at least here we can say it how it is. ask for help and admit if we cock up. I know there are things I could have done better etc. And alot of things I've doubled checked here.

weather has been amazing today loads of bikes about, doing shopping obviously.

• Like 1

I once rode my bike to the garage 1mile down the road with the rear brake callipers bouncing around. 
I had half finished putting the rear back together then moved on to sorting Carbs. Couldn’t fix the carb leak once I had serviced them (cracked bowl) and in a fluster did not check. Once I had booked the garage. I looked and felt a total twit.

• Like 2

We all do stupid shit sometimes. 

After rebuilding a Chavalier engine it would start but only run if I kept the revs up. I puzzled over it all night until I remembered I left a hose off the manifold. I connected it up the next morning and it was fine. I was only 18 or 19 at the time!

I've also been known to get on the bike and realise after a few miles that I left my lid in the garage. 🙄

There are many, many more!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Mr Fro said:

We all do stupid shit sometimes. 

After rebuilding a Chavalier engine it would start but only run if I kept the revs up. I puzzled over it all night until I remembered I left a hose off the manifold. I connected it up the next morning and it was fine. I was only 18 or 19 at the time!

I've also been known to get on the bike and realise after a few miles that I left my lid in the garage. 🙄

There are many, many more!

I have done that as well.

On one of my early top speed events at Woodbridge I tried to ride to the startline without my lid on! DOH!!

I can still hear the laughter, in my defence I was very preoccupied.

Cheers

Ian

Just now, Ian Frog said:

I have done that as well.

On one of my early top speed events at Woodbridge I tried to ride to the startline without my lid on! DOH!!

I can still hear the laughter, in my defence I was very preoccupied.

Cheers

Ian

I tried leaving the pits at Snetterton with my sidestand down once...

Is that Woodbridge, Suffolk?

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Fro said:

I tried leaving the pits at Snetterton with my sidestand down once...

Is that Woodbridge, Suffolk?

Yep Suffolk it was one of my first Straightliner events (I think the one where Ken ZX12 went down (Thankfully not too badly hurt).

Cheers

Ian

6 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Yep Suffolk it was one of my first Straightliner events (I think the one where Ken ZX12 went down (Thankfully not too badly hurt).

Cheers

Ian

Never heard about motor racing in Woodo - I'll ask the wife as she grew up there.

44 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Cheers

Ian

a few years ago i went to one of those straightliner's events at port erin in the iom a guy set off on a big green kawasaki and he came off just before a left hand bend , and the bike bounced over a wall and into the sea, they must have craned it out later on in the day 

• Haha 1

well, finally new helicoils and seals etc, sat in the rain most of the day,,STILL making a noise. all bolts tight and getting torque on them all.. one i drilled too far leaking oil so that needs sorting anyway, gunna bet helicoil helping it to leak.

totally baffled now as wasnt noisy before.. I must have either affected something in the engine when drilled too far but not really sure how unless a bit of metal got somewhere. Or cam chain some how loose again due to loose bit of metal.. which would be nuts really.

so here is the great sound I hoped not to hear today

really pissed off.

4 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

That doesn't sound the same as before which suggests it's not internal, but I'm always hesitant about diagnosing via a video clip.

Have you tried the stethoscope / big screwdriver trick to listen inside the engine?

yeah, sounded different on the left side as if sat on the bike. i also turned it over by hand as suggested and couldnt hear or feel anything binding or scraping

2 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

yeah, sounded different on the left side as if sat on the bike. i also turned it over by hand as suggested and couldnt hear or feel anything binding or scraping

So was the sound coming from inside the engine?

To me that sounds like top end noise. Camshaft/valves or cam chain. Maybe the leak has caused a loss of oil pressure at the exhaust camshaft. If you look at the picture. I think you've drilled into where the circle is, where the head stud and nut are recessed into the cam journal. Normally oil collects around there and builds oil pressure for the camshaft to turn on. If your drilled through and it's leaking oil out from around that nut it could be loosing oil pressure in the journal where the cam rotates that could be causing the top end noise you're hearing.

9098fb5943469173f81333e627d2.png