I think I work for MI5!

onesea

Scheduling at my work have come up with a new GDP issue.

We are no longer allowed to know who we are working with.

We work in pairs, normally and until 3 days ago could look in advance for months and see who we had been rostered with.

Note we can see our roster but not who we are working with.  

Suddenly we are not allowed to know even know 12 hours in advance.

You have to turn up on shift and see who else is there.

Apparently it's all to do with GDP regulations, we are not allowed to know the name of who we are working with.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, onesea said:

We work in pairs, normally and until 3 days ago could look in advance for months and see who we had been rostered with.

Apparently it's all to do with GDP regulations, we are not allowed to know the name of who we are working with.

Hilarious!
100 years ago, it took a genius like Kafka to imagine this kind of thing. Now we have the ability to make it happen with just a handful of accountants and lawyers. 🤦‍♂️ (with apologies to the accoutants and lawyers among us... 😃

They did this at the Bristol hospitals. So you couldn’t swap days with anyone, couldn’t book your holiday based on what time was actually available and would just get an email saying your request had been rejected. So trying to book time off or arrange appointments became a nightmare. 
They went on and on about how great the new system was and when demonstrating how it worked accidentally switched the computer off. Being the ancient creaking lumps of outdated technology the computers are we all sat there in silence for over 10 mins while it decided whether it wanted to start up again or not 😂

In the end we went back to using a paper diary which was then transferred to the computer. They used it to torture the managers about staffing levels. It really did turn into a case of “the computer says no”

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

They did this at the Bristol hospitals. So you couldn’t swap days with anyone, couldn’t book your holiday based on what time was actually available and would just get an email saying your request had been rejected. So trying to book time off or arrange appointments became a nightmare. 
They went on and on about how great the new system was and when demonstrating how it worked accidentally switched the computer off. Being the ancient creaking lumps of outdated technology the computers are we all sat there in silence for over 10 mins while it decided whether it wanted to start up again or not 😂

In the end we went back to using a paper diary which was then transferred to the computer. They used it to torture the managers about staffing levels. It really did turn into a case of “the computer says no”

As a Manager I was a complete B*stard over the booking of holidays.

I made the holiday chart available on line so the team could see who was off when & introduced some rules: ‘no more than 3 off at any one time unless the whole company was shut down’, ‘demonstration of an agreed plan for covering workload while away’, ‘No holidays spanning key delivery dates’, ‘Holidays cannot be cancelled within 4 weeks of the intended date ( unless for a bloody good reason) & no more than 2 weeks at a time.

I greyed out any refused requests to ensure no sneaky sickies taken.

The power of presiding over those requests was intoxicating 🤣🤣 I used to leave them sweating for days.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mickly said:

I made the holiday chart available on line so the team could see who was off when & introduced some rules: ‘no more than 3 off at any one time unless the whole company was shut down’, ‘demonstration of an agreed plan for covering workload while away’, ‘No holidays spanning key delivery dates’, ‘Holidays cannot be cancelled within 4 weeks of the intended date ( unless for a bloody good reason) & no more than 2 weeks at a time.

The power of presiding over those requests was intoxicating 🤣🤣 I used to leave them sweating for days.

You sicko 😂

The first and last time I got refused my holidays for a good reason I walked out. Don't give a fig who or what you are, but nobody and I mean nobody will stop me taking time off without a good reason.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mickly said:

Twat 😁 

• Haha 1

The managers who used to sort out the annual leave seemed to have forgotten they have only bought your life for a certain number of hours and behaved liked they owned your life. They behaved disgracefully, granting annual leave to people they liked and refusing requests from people they didn’t. It was a power trip of disgusting levels. I never fell foul of them and was always granted what I requested. It was very difficult because I’d been privy to their conspiratorial sniggers as they punished someone they deemed unworthy and whilst I was busting to tell them what I thought of their behaviour and lack of managerial skills I didn’t want to end up on the wrong side of things working lates and having holidays refused! 

We used to have the same thing going where some folks used to always get relieved on time while others regularly ended up doing an extra month away and then be pressurised to go back early so the other guy didn't have to do longer. If you had a regular back to back most guys were fair but there are still some chancers who'll buddy screw at the drop of a hat. With Covid if you're lucky enough to get away you have no idea if you'll do 3 months or 9.

1 hour ago, rightstuff said:

what is gdpr never heard of it  if your owed holiday just take it  or change job  plenty of work about 

General Data Protection Regulation. It superseded the Data Protection Act.

In broad terms, it’s to protect you from having your personal information shared without your authority, or outside the bounds of a legitimate reason (I’m hazy on the details since it’s changed a little since I left full time employment).

The employer in this case could define the person’s name as necessary for rota scheduling purposes. It might be that their phone number could be included. It would not be valid, say, to include their home address or salary for obvious reasons. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, onesea said:

You might very well work for MI5 but maybe your Governance Dept fails to understand their interpretation of GDPR 😂 

• Like 1