Packing List

fuelstopchats

Impressive selection but I have to confess these days I tend to lean towards the credit card, toothbrush, recovery service membership school of survival as bikes have become so reliable and the planet so crowded it is difficult to find many places where self reliance is so important !

Cheers

Ian

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Impressive selection but I have to confess these days I tend to lean towards the credit card, toothbrush, recovery service membership school of survival as bikes have become so reliable and the planet so crowded it is difficult to find many places where self reliance is so important !

Cheers

Ian

I do use rescue, but there are times when i cant be bothered with waiting. if one of my group had a puncture, I would fix it 'on the spot' rather than disrupt the ride while waiitng for a repairman to turn up.  I generally take a puncture kit. tyre pump. and the doings needed for chain adjustment and lubrication. On my previous bike I would always have spare bulbs and the tools needed to replace. new bike is all LED so thats one less potential problem. But, for me, the single best thing I carry is my multitool. https://tinyurl.com/yaossold

also.. this post is from an American and there is something he may see that we never see here in europe. signs like these.

3015065_423410.jpg

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

I do use rescue, but there are times when i cant be bothered with waiting. if one of my group had a puncture, I would fix it 'on the spot' rather than disrupt the ride while waiitng for a repairman to turn up.  I generally take a puncture kit. tyre pump. and the doings needed for chain adjustment and lubrication. On my previous bike I would always have spare bulbs and the tools needed to replace. new bike is all LED so thats one less potential problem.

also.. this post is from an American and there is something he may see that we never see here in europe. signs like these.

3015065_423410.jpg

Very true on all points.

I wasn`t being flip it`s just that wherever I go in Europe I seem to see increasing numbers of people and nowadays I don`t tend to ride in or lead groups so my packing has shrunk and in fairness to the point I was making my enjoyment has started to increase again.

I agree that in a group situation that would be a sensible starting point and from memory the tool roll bag on the Harley`s forks contains a lot of those things that I will probably never take out just in case lol.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

My Yamaha I don’t take anything my triumph I have enough tools to strip it. Which is not many, however it’s always got me home.  It’s just once the vacuumed hose broke and that needs just about every tool to get to it.

Normally I have tape or cable ties some where.

Recovery and proper job when I get home is my attitude.

• Like 1

I carry the toolkit that came with the bike, a puncture repair kit inc. 12V pump (Dynaplug), and maybe a small can of chain cleaner / lube if I'm away for any time. Otherwise it's Bennett's bike recovery. That said I don't think there's anywhere in Western Europe where you are 250 miles between places!

• Like 1

If I was going to take that many tools I'd also need an instruction manual and several hours lessons before hand :) On another note I am hoping to tour in Europe (first time without hubby who would have taken the tool kit) and was wondering what the bear minimum I should take is .......... taking into account that if anything needs doing on the bike other than washing, adding air to tyres and filling with fuel it goes to a garage 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stedebs said:

If I was going to take that many tools I'd also need an instruction manual and several hours lessons before hand :) On another note I am hoping to tour in Europe (first time without hubby who would have taken the tool kit) and was wondering what the bear minimum I should take is .......... taking into account that if anything needs doing on the bike other than washing, adding air to tyres and filling with fuel it goes to a garage 

Welcome to my world. 😁

Tyre pressure gauge, mobile phone and good quality European breakdown cover has worked for me so far. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stedebs said:

In all seriousness as a minimum I would advise gaffer tape, zip ties, mole grips, leatherman/swiss army knife and puncture kit with pump (oh and get to use the puncture kit before you go!).

Good luck and remember to enjoy it.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

In all seriousness as a minimum I would advise gaffer tape, zip ties, mole grips, leatherman/swiss army knife and puncture kit with pump (oh and get to use the puncture kit before you go!).

Good luck and remember to enjoy it.

Cheers

Ian

you forget jump pack.....  in case you leave keys in bike with ignition on while you supping a shandy :lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Six30 said:

you forget jump pack.....  in case you leave keys in bike with ignition on while you supping a shandy :lol::lol::lol:

Ha bloody Ha !

It was a fosters if I remember correctly and I bump started it without too many issues or coronary jeopardy while you & Carol ! sniggered !

Cheers

Ian

Edited by Ian Frog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Ha bloody Ha !

It was a fosters if I remember correctly and I bump started it without too many issues or coronary jeopardy while you & Carol ! sniggered !

Cheers

Ian

Bump starting a K1600 solo is no fun, even in 2nd gear, and where I live there is NO terrain, so flat, flat, flat.  I carry a Wee-Go jump starter 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fuelstopchats said:

Bump starting a K1600 solo is no fun, even in 2nd gear, and where I live there is NO terrain, so flat, flat, flat.  I carry a Wee-Go jump starter 

Quite agree in those circumstances !

I was luckier it was in a pub carpark on a nice hill in Derbyshire so easy bump start terrain !

Not that @Six30 or my girlfriend Carol were any use ! I seem to remember a certain amount of giggling.

Oh and it was a Hayabusa so not the hardest thing to bmp.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by Ian Frog
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Quite agree in those circumstances !

I was luckier it was in a pub carpark on a nice hill in Derbyshire so easy bump start terrain !

Not that @Six30 or my girlfriend Carol were any use ! I seem to remember a certain amount of giggling.

Oh and it was a Hayabusa so not the hardest thing to bmp.

Cheers

Ian

i was goin to give you a push , but thought  no fook it, he's doing ok .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fuelstopchats said:

we run through it all in our podcast, plus camping gear if interested.  https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/fuel-stop-chats-james-chris-twitter-instagram-fuelstopchats/id1547384124?i=1000509876051  or YouTube channel 

Camping? I thought this was a decent, civilised forum. Such language. 🤔😂

• Haha 3

What i always have on every bike .

I carry a toolkit comprising of :

1/4" sockets ranging from 6mmto 10mm

3/8" sockets ranging from 10mmto 19mm with a ratchet and 3 small extension bars and a 3/8"-1/4" adapter.

8mm to 17mm Combination spanners.

Hex pieces 4mm,4.5mm,5mm,6mm,8mm,10mm

that fit into a 10mm socket .

torx pieces 10,15,20,25,30,40 that fit in a 10mm socket .

Front spindle adapter that ranges 17mm,19mm,22mm,24mm hex.

Pliers, double ended screwdriver 

24mm & 27mm ring spanner (older bike tool kit supplied with leverage tube)

electrical test screwdriver.

This all fits into 

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/kriega-stash-wallet-black/41994.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiAg8OBBhA8EiwAlKw3kjoldJNDHYRTTBixJZO8rTkJVspP44DSURTe8MGV_3GqPaKozWLY5xoC-bIQAvD_BwE

Believe it or not .

Then in another case 

I Then have a Stop&go tyre plugger as well as a screw in type plug .

this is coupled with 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Inflator-Compact-Lightweight-Travel/dp/B00HWMPK6S/ref=asc_df_B00HWMPK6S/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310744208542&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10939013596157414234&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046126&hvtargid=pla-356005205900&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

A 12v Li-on  boost pack than doubles s a torch and usb charger with an extra optimate style connection to help those times that accessing battery is a nightmare , and a cigarette lighter style socket with lead that allows me to plug into a cigarette socket to power up.

i also carry a few spare fuses .

And a gear gremlin cable repair kit .

Electrical Tape .

Then separately 

Also a full first aid kit supplied by various Ambulance trusts by attending First Bike on Scene .

Cargo Net , .

Decent set of Berghaus overtrousers 

warning triangle .

This all takes up 1/2 of my 35ltr top box 

And yes i have breakdown cover ...

Edited by TimR
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TimR said:

3/8" sockets ranging from 10mmto 19mm with a ratchet and 3 small extension bars and a 3/8"-1/4" adapter.

This all fits into 

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/kriega-stash-wallet-black/41994.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiAg8OBBhA8EiwAlKw3kjoldJNDHYRTTBixJZO8rTkJVspP44DSURTe8MGV_3GqPaKozWLY5xoC-bIQAvD_BwE

Believe it or not .

Then in another case 

this is coupled with 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Inflator-Compact-Lightweight-Travel/dp/B00HWMPK6S/ref=asc_df_B00HWMPK6S/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310744208542&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10939013596157414234&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046126&hvtargid=pla-356005205900&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

A 12v Li-on  boost pack than doubles s a torch and usb charger with an extra optimate style connection to help those times that accessing battery is a nightmare , and a cigarette lighter style socket with lead that allows me to plug into a cigarette socket to power up.

Electrical Tape .

Then separately 

Also a full first aid kit supplied by various Ambulance trusts by attending First Bike on Scene .

Cargo Net , .

warning triangle .

Must weigh a ton?

34 minutes ago, TimR said:

This all fits into 

Believe it or not .

Then in another case 

this is coupled with 

Electrical Tape .

Then separately 

Cargo Net , .

warning triangle .

You remind me of this guy changing wheel bearings with most of his own tools!

Oh hang on...........

23082008029.jpg

• Like 1