Places for cleaning motorcycle?

Algis

Hello,

I'm new to motorcycles. I still don't have one but decided to buy it in nearly future. For now just saving money, buying gear little by little and collecting as much information as I can.

So as I already learned cleaning motorcycle is really important. I've found in Google lots of advices how to do it and I think I'll be alright with cleaning it myself. The only question is where to clean it? I live in an apartment building and I don't have my own yard. I'm not sure if it's legal to clean it just on a parking lot. I know that cleaning cars like that is definitely not legal. 

So what place should I choose for cleaning motorcycle?

There's a difference between what is technically not legal and what you're likely to run into problems with. Technically it's not legal to wash or work on a car parked in a street but lots of people do it. The only time you're likely to run into problems is if you're doing trade work in a public place or causing a nuisance.

Cleaning a bike doesn't take a lot of space. My main concern is security. Bike theft is rampant in some areas. I'd look into the availability of secure parking before committing to buying a bike. Or at least check the insurance costs.

There may be lock ups available, probably with a waiting list. Or someone may rent you a bit of a private driveway if the bike can be parked out of their way.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Algis said:

Hello,

I'm new to motorcycles. I still don't have one but decided to buy it in nearly future. For now just saving money, buying gear little by little and collecting as much information as I can.

So as I already learned cleaning motorcycle is really important. I've found in Google lots of advices how to do it and I think I'll be alright with cleaning it myself. The only question is where to clean it? I live in an apartment building and I don't have my own yard. I'm not sure if it's legal to clean it just on a parking lot. I know that cleaning cars like that is definitely not legal. 

So what place should I choose for cleaning motorcycle?

Guessing from your way of using words that you are not UK based so you need to check your local laws. Different places (states, provinces, countries) often have dramatically different rules with consequences to match.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Guessing from your way of using words that you are not UK based so you need to check your local laws. Different places (states, provinces, countries) often have dramatically different rules with consequences to match.

Well, I am UK based. Wolverhampton, West Midlands. That's why I'm posting my question in this forum. Sorry, if I've chosen wrong words though...

Edited by Algis

1 hour ago, geofferz said:

I've cleaned mine in a petrol station pay per minute power wash car wash before. Just don't aim directly at the electrics. 

Yes, I know that some are people are doing that. But I think I'd like to clean it just by hands.

2 minutes ago, Algis said:

Well, I am UK based. Wolverhampton, West Midlands. That's why I'm posting my question in this forum. Sorry, if I've chosen wrong words though...

Okay then, as Mississippi and Geofferz said. No biggy really.

• Like 1

Depending where you live I'm sure if you take a couple of buckets with water to an isolated parking space that is close to a gully and you don't make a mess out of it nobody will complain about it.

What usually gets people upset is after washing the bike leaving a puddle of soapy water and dirt all over.

Using a diy carwash station is a good idea too, as said electrics and wheel bearings are the spots to be careful with the water. You will need 2 chips to wash the bike. First for starting then the second to rinse after hand wash it. It takes longer to wash a bike but the interval between the 2 chips is as long as you want.

• Like 1

I've always roled my bike on to the street outside our house and washed it there. 

I've never considered that it might be illegal. Nobody has ever said any thing to me. Mid-wash last week two 6 year olds stopped beside me and had a chat between themselves about how shiny it was. Adults have a little glance but that's them being nosey. 

I think as long as you're not in the way and you're carful not to accidentally spray a passerby then you'll be fine. 

As mentioned above, just make sure that opportunist thieves aren't hanging around. 

• Like 1

I used to live in a flat in Leicester mate so had similar issues, however, I used to wash it down in the car park with no problems or take it to a petrol station.  Like Bob said above though, be careful about cleaning and oiling your chain, I used to put cardboard under the rear wheel and always made sure I cleaned any mess up to prevent complaints

• Like 1

I think I've found an answer. There are some lawns near my home. So I'll wash it on the lawn where all runoff will be absorbed by soil and that's how I'll leave no mess. Also I'm gonna use biodegradable soap for being in peace with my conscience and making no harm to nature. 

And like manxie49 said, I'll put a carton under rear wheel when oiling the chain.

Thank you all for your answers. I'm very happy that I found this forum. All of you are very friendly and it's nice atmosphere here. 😊😊

• Like 4

Now....

Are you saying that we're not tw@ts?????

How very dare you sir????? 😂

A person goes to all the trouble and this is what we get. 😋😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, husoi said:

Now....

Are you saying that we're not tw@ts?????

How very dare you sir????? 😂

A person goes to all the trouble and this is what we get. 😋😂

Yes, but to be fair certain people haven't joined in this thread as yet. Give it time.....

The other thought is, if the OP puts their location into their profile there may be someone local who has off road parking who would let them use it to clean their bike on. 

• Like 2

I must admit that I had no idea that it might be illegal to wash or work on a vehicle on a road … this thread reminds me of the time back in 1983 when I decided to repaint my silver Vauxhall Viva red. … so of course I did this on the road outside the house. I had no driveway. Worked out really well actually. Used an electric spray gun suitable really for painting fences. … all was good until I moved the car. And there was a large red rectangle painted on the road! … I did notice recently that the red paint has gone from the road. I think it might have been resurfaced. And it was over 35 years ago. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Davidtav said:

I must admit that I had no idea that it might be illegal to wash or work on a vehicle on a road … this thread reminds me of the time back in 1983 when I decided to repaint my silver Vauxhall Viva red. … so of course I did this on the road outside the house. I had no driveway. Worked out really well actually. Used an electric spray gun suitable really for painting fences. … all was good until I moved the car. And there was a large red rectangle painted on the road! … I did notice recently that the red paint has gone from the road. I think it might have been resurfaced. And it was over 35 years ago. 

I painted mine blue

Front.jpg

• Like 1

Bio degradable or not , I wouldn't appreciate someone washing their bike on my  lawn . The detergent could still kill the grass and any worms living in the soil . Just wash your bike where it is . Do you honestly think the Police haven't got enough to worry about ? 

• Like 2

Why don't you get one of these?

https://www.diy.com/departments/brown-green-tarpaulin-l-3m-w-2m/3663602576204_BQ.prd

put it on the ground before starting and you can then remove it when you finish.

Make sure one side is next to a gully and you will be fine.

• Like 1

On 22/03/2021 at 09:27, Algis said:

Have a look what council garages are nearby, as it's been said you will need a lockup. Get in the list with wolvo council I'm in Dudley they told me a 2yr wait I managed to get a garage right next door to my house in 6 months which was lucky

I have it ! Why not just get a sponge and some detergent and wait until it pisses with rain ? All the incriminating evidence of an inappropriate washing venue will be effectively camouflaged by all the other water . I'm a genius , think I'll have a lie down now . 

NFw1NZX.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1