What to do with lost keys?

potatobroxd

So i lost a key.. and im planning to order a new one. Its just a normal key (not a smart one) so i was wondering if you would need a dealer to do it or you could just cut the key anywhere? Bike has an immobiliser so im not sure if it changes anything.

tia!

Unless you have a separate fob for the immobiliser.. the 'off-on' doo-dah will be in the key itself. you will need to buy a genuine key and take it to a dealership to have it matched to your bike. its not a cheap process.

A genuine key for my own bike costs £75+ and then add to that the cost of 'labour' for the key to be synced with the bike.. another £35 for a half hours labour.

a key with a built in immobiliser transponder will look something like this.. with a chunky fob. It contains a chip, very much like the chip in a credit/debit card.

D_NQ_NP_834779-MLA29524327750_022019-O.jpg

Edited by Gerontious
  • Thanks 1

If its an ordinary key and you have one for them to copy then Timpsons should be able to cut it. They've done them for my Cg125 and ER5 but they are old bikes.

image.jpeg.07b18c272a196ec5f6595f9c849bcbbc.jpeg

Edited by KiwiBob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My advice is get a genuine key blank and have a local cutter do it.

I've got a bike that came with a key cut from a "near enough" blank and it needs a good bit of wiggling to get it to work. The original it came with is fine though.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Factory fitted immobiliser? 

Yes, its from factory, although my

key looks identical to a ninja 300 with no imobiliser

2 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Unless you have a separate fob for the immobiliser.. the 'off-on' doo-dah will be in the key itself. you will need to buy a genuine key and take it to a dealership to have it matched to your bike. its not a cheap process.

A genuine key for my own bike costs £75+ and then add to that the cost of 'labour' for the key to be synced with the bike.. another £35 for a half hours labour.

a key with a built in immobiliser transponder will look something like this.. with a chunky fob. It contains a chip, very much like the chip in a credit/debit card.

D_NQ_NP_834779-MLA29524327750_022019-O.jpg

Mine seems like a normal slim key with no chip in it luckily!

1 hour ago, Mr Fro said:

My advice is get a genuine key blank and have a local cutter do it.

I've got a bike that came with a key cut from a "near enough" blank and it needs a good bit of wiggling to get it to work. The original it came with is fine though.

Thanks, thought i could save some cash doing it outside the dealer :(

If it has an immobiliser from factory but no extra fob then I suspect you will need a key with a new chip in 

Its not always doom and gloom though as not all bikes require a visit to the dealers to code the key in 

Have a read of the owners manual and see if it mentions anything in there 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KiwiBob said:

If its an ordinary key and you have one for them to copy then Timpsons should be able to cut it. They've done them for my Cg125 and ER5 but they are old bikes.

image.jpeg.07b18c272a196ec5f6595f9c849bcbbc.jpeg

cobbler's usually cut keys as well

9 hours ago, potatobroxd said:

So i lost a key.. and im planning to order a new one. Its just a normal key (not a smart one) so i was wondering if you would need a dealer to do it or you could just cut the key anywhere? Bike has an immobiliser so im not sure if it changes anything.

tia!

by what means are you ordering another one, who off and where from. Do you have a key number, do you have another key to copy from, if so and its chipped it is sometimes possible to have it cloned  

On 14/06/2021 at 16:00, Stu said:

If it has an immobiliser from factory but no extra fob then I suspect you will need a key with a new chip in 

Long time ago I had an N-reg A4 and needed a spare key. Went to Timpsons and they cut me the new key and also programmed the immobilizer chip with a box they had.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...