Struggling with gears when approaching junctions

joshyhew

So, I've just taken delivery of my first bike, an LXR125, but I seem to be struggling with gearing when approaching junctions. I know how to change gear up and down, I think it's more to do with the procedure when approaching a junction or a set of lights.

So as an example, when I notice I have to slow down when coming up to a junction I apply the brakes and change down the gears in one go, let's say from 5th to 2nd without letting the clutch out in between, then slowly approach in 2nd. However, I seem to be stopping with it still in 2nd which means I'm trying to change to 1st when stationary. I assume this isn't correct but it feels more natural doing it this way.  1st gear really struggles to engage when stationary so there have been times when traffic is piling up behind me.

Any help on what the correct procedure is would be really helpful.

Thanks
Josh

What you're doing sounds basically ok, except you need to flip down to 1st just before or as you come to a stop.

• Like 1

I would tend to go down the gears more progressively but if you're going from 5th to 2nd and the bike isn't easy to slip into first when stationary then either as @bonio says and go into 1st before you come to a halt, or take a look at the clutch adjustment. Some bikes are just harder to find 1st than others, but in general you ought to be in 1st when stationary with the bike angled to any possible escape route should the car behind you fail to stop. Therefore going into 1st before coming to a complete stop is a safer way to ride. 

Taking this a bit further, a common mistake novice riders make is to sit in the middle of the lane in neutral at lights. Say the car following isn't slowing down - you've then got to find a gear and try to get out of the way. Not easy. Say the vehicle in front is a lorry or van - they don't know you're there if you're in the middle of the lane. So try to be in the line of the driver's mirror, be in 1st, have bike aimed to any empty bit of road you can dive into if need arises.

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog
  • Like 3

A lot bikes just won't go into first when they're stopped, or at least they'll only do with after a a lot of faff. Mine are all like that. 

Remember if it's a new bike too everything takes a bit of time to settle in. Not knocking your lexmoto but its only as good as the person who put it together. The correct oils can make a difference too. Might be worth getting to know your bike by doing oil changes and some maintenance yourself 

• Like 1

Thanks all for the comments. I feel a bit more reassured now.

I understand Lexmoto's seem frowned upon by the biking community so I did wonder if it's just poor parts but everything else seems sweet.....for now🤞

I'll head out later this evening while the roads are quiet and see if I can do any better.

Thanks again

• Like 1

On 20/07/2021 at 19:48, fullscreenaging said:

I think 125’s are a pain in the arse to get into 1st full stop. 
I only rode a 125 for a day while doing my DAS. I hated it. 

Can't say I agree.y Suzuki gsxs125 gearbox is smooths as you like. Never had any problems at all

Update - Went out last night and things were a lot better. The travel on the clutch is further than I expected so once I got used to that it knocked into 1st much easier. 

It's going to take some more time to get used to though and a few more trips out on the road. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Update No.2 - My brother popped over to see me at the weekend and adjusted the clutch pedal and it slips into 1st perfectly now. So happy! I envisaged it being a right ball ache to fix but turns out it only needed a slight adjustment. 

My riding now is so much more enjoyable knowing I can actually get it into 1st without any effort 😂

Thanks for all the comments and help. 

• Like 2

Do you mean the gear lever??

Only cars have a clutch pedal. 

EDIT: Or HGV’s, buses, coaches or any other vehicle other than a motorbike in case some twat pulls me up on the above. 😂

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Haha 3

On 20/07/2021 at 16:23, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Taking this a bit further, a common mistake novice riders make is to sit in the middle of the lane in neutral at lights. Say the car following isn't slowing down - you've then got to find a gear and try to get out of the way. Not easy.

Interestingly enough I was taught to do it that way on my CBT. The theory being if a car hit you from behind while you are in neutral you are more likely to just keep rolling forward whereas if you are in gear it will end up as a crunch with you and the bike going over.

Not something I'd want to test out either way :shock:

5 hours ago, Tiggie said:

Interestingly enough I was taught to do it that way on my CBT. The theory being if a car hit you from behind while you are in neutral you are more likely to just keep rolling forward whereas if you are in gear it will end up as a crunch with you and the bike going over.

Not something I'd want to test out either way :shock:

Interesting as on my CBT it was the opposite and we were told to remain in 1st so you could move off if there was a problem.  I'm wondering about the advice about being ready to move into an empty bit of road, surely if you're waiting at a junction it will mostly be beacause the road in front of you is busy, if something is coming up behind looking like it might hit you there's surely not going to be many safe options for empty bits of road? I suppose if you're in the countryside the hedge/ditch might be preferable to being hit from behind or moving forward into traffic? In town the pavement is not going to be a great option if it's busy?

I'm thinking if a car hits me from behind at any speed I'm coming off anyway and would rather not be propelled into oncoming traffic as well? Dunno. But being able to take positive action by moving rather than being passively pushed out into a junction seems preferable?

Don't take my advice though, I'm just a beginner 😂

• Like 1

Idea is you don't put your self in a position where you have no where to go. Leave enough room so you can pull to either side of the vehicle in front, don't pull up and leave 2inches from you and it. 

Preferably filter along side something if it's safe to do so. 

• Like 1