IAM

Liveware Problem

3 hours ago, manxie49 said:

One of the best courses I did was run locally by an instructor, half day on slow manoeuvring.  

I would love to do one of those, I ride a heavy old lump and on tight corners or hairpins it can be a handful, a bit more confidence would really help with this.

18 minutes ago, rob m said:

I would love to do one of those, I ride a heavy old lump and on tight corners or hairpins it can be a handful, a bit more confidence would really help with this.

Have a look here, these guys do the same training and from all accounts are pretty good https://i2imca.com/?fbclid=IwAR0cU_Jurb08MFdNhbMekmZFVS-paxo-V5PFicq9jJmgL-AoBLHfIwufYYQ

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Liveware Problem said:

The retake idea seems sensible, do you find your riding has drifted away from the RoSPA 'style' as it were in the 3 years?

Not so much, I ride my own way, a lot of it is based on RoSPA, but it's just how I ride. It's more I find that my planning has become sloppy.

Edited by bonio
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Copycat73 said:

been there .. done that .. got the certificate .. learnt nothing ... 

awaits for incoming ... 

Fair enough, although why did you continue on and get the certificate, if you felt weren't learning anything? 🤔

Edited by Liveware Problem
Spelling
  • Like 1

When I flew model aircraft in aerobatic competitions guys who were seriously good - as in holding world championships - would often give a bit of advice about certain manoeuvres and I found that listening to them and adopting their advice improved my flying. In one competition where the same guy flew three models and won first, second and third every year I once, just once, got third by following his advice. I think he was genuinely more pleased than I was.

In sailing people who are better sailors than me sometimes drop a hint how they managed to beat me and what I might have done to prevent it - and last year I won the class trophy as a result.

Friendly advice given with no strings attached is fine. I just find that sometimes it's a case of you have to do things our way to belong.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Friendly advice given with no strings attached is fine. I just find that sometimes it's a case of you have to do things our way to belong.

I agree and this is exactly what I meant by "the higher up the food chain (better trained) you go the better attitude and the better conversations I had with them"

If the answer to a situation is "do it that way because it's what it says in Roadcraft" then it's moronic and not necessarily leading you to being a safer rider. If the answer is "it depends" you're getting there. And in fact one piece of feedback on my assessment when I did it was "Positioning: Why position close to the left if there are no advantages of view stability or safety in doing so - e.g. A4 Bath road, that could have been an invitation to the vehicle travelling behind you to chance an overtake in the face of oncoming traffic."

Don't swallow the manual, consider whether the advice fits your attitude to riding (I will overtake a lot less than other 'advanced riders' because I believe many of them do it in risky situations where they're relying on things not happening to keep them safe, and every time they get away with it they chalk it down to their superior riding skill as opposed to luck on the day) and create your own version of what it means.

• Like 4

On 09/09/2021 at 17:42, manxie49 said:

Have a look here, these guys do the same training and from all accounts are pretty good https://i2imca.com/?fbclid=IwAR0cU_Jurb08MFdNhbMekmZFVS-paxo-V5PFicq9jJmgL-AoBLHfIwufYYQ

Ah yes, Tom is fantastic. I took his first two courses - a very real eye opener onto the mechanics of both slow and fast riding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry1111 said:

Ah yes, Tom is fantastic. I took his first two courses - a very real eye opener onto the mechanics of both slow and fast riding.

Agree. Tom is great.