Black Jacket = Invisibility cloak?

techniques

My first motorcycle jacket was an Atem V jacket with a white/flou colour scheme. Purchased the trousers later, but still white/black colour scheme. This week, I've recently picked up a black Dainese codice controllo two-piece (that zips all the way around) as I'd like to do a track day and it's a requirement.

Black leathers, basically. 

I've worn it today and suddenly people don't see me. First, a young boy crossing the road, didn't see me until I was slowing down and he was standing in the middle of the street. At least he stopped. 

Then, as I was zooming off from the lights, I gave it some welly as there was a white van up behind me. Two elderly people run into the road from behind a car, with their eyes down. "OH f**k!" I think, as I slam on the brakes. They continue running, with their eyes down, into my path of travel. 

I realise I'm not going to stop in time, and they definitely aren't stopping so I let go of the brakes and have to decide which way and time my swerve. "Whoa!" I hear the old man exclaim as I barely miss the two of them. ffs.

THEN, literally 5 minutes later, as I was pulling myself together, doing a steady 20mph in a 30 now, a big, red, ROYAL MAIL van does a U-turn from the other side of the road and completely cuts into my lane. No Indication. Nothing. 

"Okay wtf... something is going on today." I thought to myself.  This was all during day light.  I won't even mention the driver who swerved into the bus lane (ffs). More emergency braking. 

I'm interested to hear if anyone else has experienced similar when it comes to wearing different coloured gear. Is this all a coincidence and I was just having a bad ride? Or Is it time to buy a white helmet?

1 hour ago, goat said:

Don't know what the weather was like round your way, but round these parts today a low bright sun  made visibility difficult, could just be something like that.

A very good point! I think this was definitely a contributing factor. Low sun gives me problems when I'm driving my car.

My jacket is black and can't say I'm anymore invisible than otherwise. That said my helmet is white, my bike is relatively large and quite loud so it does have a presence. However it doesn't stop idiots being idiots and I do get things jumping out on me.

There’s been a bit of research on this subject & can be found on ‘tinternet.

From what I recall it boils down to whether you show up against the background, so in some instances a black outfit is beneficial in others, not so.

Can’t remember what was best tbh.

10 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Seem to remember the most vivid easily seen colour in all ambient lighting was a particularly vile pink. Not something that's had significant take up.

So we just need to drum up a sponsorship deal with dynorod 😁 

1 hour ago, skyrider said:

i have always used black leathers all my riding life and they go with any colour bike a lot of people change their leathers everytime they change their bike just to be colour coordinated 😏

That's a thing, really 😂 

I couldn't care less, mind you that extends to most of my clothes 😁 

• Like 1

It seems to me that very few people seem to look what's happening around them anymore .... a woman this morning, as a casing point,  steps straight out into the road in front of me,  causing me to hit the brakes,  the worst of it was she had a pram and pushed that out first!  I mean WTF,  twenty meters further down the road is a zebra crossing.  Not sure if it's just a well developed sixth sense but I thought that was what she was intending doing the way she was looking around, didn't even acknowledge my presence.  It's nothing out of the ordinary anymore,   I've just come to the conclusion now,  wherever I ride, whatever I'm wearing, just expect people to do stupid things and ride accordingly ...... I don't even bother getting annoyed anymore,  if I did I'd be permanently riding round like Victor f-----g Meldrew!  😆

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Go watch the Ryan F9 video on "Invisibility training".  I wear a Bright yellow helmet an my clothes are black with Hi Viz.  There are things you can do to the bike though.  I have extra white pin lights on a "flicker" module and extra reds at the rear.  Also some coloured lights inside the fairing.  

Light clothing is tricky on a bike since it gets dirty so quickly.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Breezin said:

We read all the time about high-viz gear and how it improves safety, but I'd love to see some science on it.

What's more visible than a 7" headlight, and why does one need anything more?

With most cars now using DRLs motorcycle headlights blend into the background. 

I find people spot the Bobber much more often than the Honda. The Bobber has a smaller headlight but due to way it rides the light wobbles slightly. It makes it more noticeable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

With most cars now using DRLs motorcycle headlights blend into the background. 

I find people spot the Bobber much more often than the Honda. The Bobber has a smaller headlight but due to way I ride it the light wobbles slightly. It makes it more noticeable.

Fixed it for you. 😉

• Haha 6

This is covered on the Bikesafe course. The best colour Hi-Viz is pink, followed by orange and then yellow. We people are so used to the yellow that it's now just ignored, orange is following close behind. Pink however is still a rare hi-viz colour out in public, mostly worn by the ladies on pushbikes.

Maybe you've just had one of those why my days.

An invisibility cloak on a motorbike would be about as much use as an ashtray or a personal fan.

I have black gear.  I did augment it with a hiviz if I intend to commute or drive in low visibility or at night.  Yet I know for a fact I'm still invisible.

White helmet though.  Bought purely on hi visibility and nothing to do with appearing in peoples mirrors wearing a hiviz and a white helmet making them leap out of your way on hte fast lane.

Edited by PaulCa
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, skyrider said:

i have always used black leathers all my riding life and they go with any colour bike a lot of people change their leathers everytime they change their bike just to be colour coordinated 😏

As I read some where, if you by your leathers of the same colour to match your motorbike, your not a motorcyclist your a power ranger….
thunder-bike-with-black-range-power-rang

Back on subject, I cannot say I have ridden much with high viz on to notice.

This time of year can be most dodgy low sun at busiest time of day.  Driving standards at the moment don’t seem to be the greatest.

Both my bikes are standard when it comes to lighting, some of the bikes I see have more lights than Blackpool Prom in October.  They blind you easily enough when they are coming the other way. 

When pulling out of a side road, I am sure it all helps hi viz, extra lights etc.

Then there are junctions where, I have learned people pull out regardless.

Sometimes I think invisibility is the way to go as at least then you stand more chance at predicting the other road users actions….

Extra lights that dazzle make it more difficult to judge the speed of an approaching motorcycle and can actually contribute to people pulling out in front of you. They also can dazzle in mirrors and we all know "Where you look is where you go" so driver eyes are drawn to look into the mirror and then drift towards that side.

• Like 2