Best security combo for light commuter in the city

I'm going to be commuting in London with a CB125F 2021 - a curb weight of 117kg. For a bike this light at that price point (just under £3,000) is a chain a no brainer? Are most people going with disc lock + chain?

Just wondering if for some reason it's still not worth the hassle. In practice maybe an alarmed disc lock is adequate on it's own? I don't really have a sense for how common lifting-into-van thefts are these days...

Edited by Sphere

I would use an alarmed disc lock and a chain to lock it to something solid. It depends if you have anywhere to carry the chain when riding. 

If you are limited what you can carry in terms of weight go for several lighter options. Thieves are generally lazy so if yours has a disc lock and two cables they'll go for the one with only one lock even if your cables are pretty naff.

Yep .... Agree with what's already been said,  a good quality chain attached to an immovable object.....You might want to look at this site as well,  I believe this company is making what is supposedly an anti-angle grinder D-lock,  expensive but if it's as good as the hype maybe worth worth a look 👍 https://hiplok.com/product-category/d-locks/

Edited by manxie49

Anyone have any thoughts on a sensible chain thickness? I'd like to keep things reasonably light if possible without it being too easy to attack. I guess I need backpack or box if I'm gonna have a chain. Or do thinner ones fit in a seat (like on CB125F)?

Don't carry a heavy duty chain in a backpack. In fact if you can carry it in a backpack it's not worth doing.

Look for lighter alternatives, even if they aren't as strong individually using more than one can help.

A top box is well worth having if you need to carry stuff.

• Like 1

Friend of mine who rides in London seems to think theft where a bike is loaded into a van is extremely rare and he has a tracker but no chain. He shared this reddit discussion which is apparently an AMA by an ex-motorcycle-thief who seems to agree. reddit/motorcycles/ex-thief-AMA

If this is true, it is tempting to swerve on the chain and just roll with a light, cheap, possibly alarmed disc lock.

(Not trying to disagree with the responses so far, I just wonder what people's thoughts are...)

Edited by Sphere

These seem like a good option, they are only new so will need to see if they live up the the marketing hype.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/security/motorcycle-chains-and-locks/hiplok-d1000-review-angle-grinder-resistant-lock

That and another lock round the sprocket should be enough. 

1 hour ago, husoi said:

Pretty much all of the above :thumb: 

Plus a rabid Rottweiler tethered to the seat ….

Can sell you my ex for the job if you’d like 🤣🤣

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sphere said:

Friend of mine who rides in London seems to think theft where a bike is loaded into a van is extremely rare and he has a tracker but no chain. He shared this reddit discussion which is apparently an AMA by an ex-motorcycle-thief who seems to agree. reddit/motorcycles/ex-thief-AMA

If this is true, it is tempting to swerve on the chain and just roll with a light, cheap, possibly alarmed disc lock.

I read the whole lot. Really interesting and I learned a lot. 

If I were you, I'd do disc lock on the rear + a good chain and lock. But I've had a bike nicked in London, and even with insurance I was out of pocket by a long way.

Edited by bonio