Fuel useage changes.

jedibiker

Hello all.

I wasnt sure if this was a pitstop chat or normal so please move if not.

So my bandit is running lovely, but Im noticing im getting less miles to a full tank.. so cost per litre isnt a factor. Ive used e5 and e10 and it doesnt change much if at all.

But I used to get over 200miles to a tank. and with that give it some beans as well as cruise. Lately pretty much cruise with the odd little blast and get 165 before 1 bar flashes, and I usually fill up as soon as poss of within 10 miles.

So a good drop off 20-30 miles per tank.. Should I be looking for an issue at all. Or is it the fuel thats changed... only had a tank of e5 since the e10 change

1 hour ago, MikeHorton said:

I found marginal differences between e5 and e10 but this is now greater in the winter. As said winter riding makes a difference

It's coz the air is fikka innit.

• Haha 5

I see nobody has pointed out that your average biker on entering winter makes careful preparation for the colder weather by ensuring they have an extra layer of blubber to insulate them through the cold winter months. This is achieved by the scoffing of pies and other delicacies which turn your summer biker into a much larger and heavier version.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Stu said:

It will solely be the winter months taking its toll 

if its an injected bike then it will stay on the cold map for longer and sometimes may never get off the cold map 

I might buy my bike a nice fleecy coat like the dog has when he goes for a walk. Like the dog ill make sure it's exhaust area is clear, may solve the issue. Could be one for dragons den

18 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

I might buy my bike a nice fleecy coat like the dog has when he goes for a walk. Like the dog ill make sure it's exhaust area is clear, may solve the issue. Could be one for dragons den

Many moons ago people used to block the front of radiators to restrict the air flow to help cars warm up and stay warm 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Many moons ago people used to block the front of radiators to restrict the air flow to help cars warm up and stay warm 

That was before they discovered electricity.  The fan was running continuously even in the middle of winter.

Just now, keith1200rs said:

That was before they discovered electricity.  The fan was running continuously even in the middle of winter.

The airflow alone through the front in the cold weather is more than enough to stop a motor heating properly 

The fan didn't help matters thats for sure 

Bandits are sensitive to air filter condition. Give it a blow out. Most likely the cold weather but check the back  brake, they a prone to seizing up. 2 pot calipers at the front are OK.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

We did it with all our cars. If you were poor it was a cardboard box, if you were posh you used tinfoil. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

We did it with all our cars. If you were poor it was a cardboard box, if you were posh you used tinfoil. 

We all did 😁 betwixt viscous fans and faulty stats it was a necessity so you didn't freeze and you could get the ice off the inside of the screen as your car always leaked and damp carpets created extra moisture. 

4 hours ago, Stu said:

In my AA book of the car 1970 edition, it shows installing a radiator blind on an Austin 1100.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bianco2564 said:

In my AA book of the car 1970 edition, it shows installing a radiator blind on an Austin 1100.

Is that the kind like a window roller blind? You had a cord you fed into the car so you could raise and lower it as necessary without needing to open the bonnet. This was akin to rocket science back then. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stu said:

The airflow alone through the front in the cold weather is more than enough to stop a motor heating properly 

The fan didn't help matters thats for sure 

That's probably true, and probably simply radiated heat from the engine.  I had a Honda Prelude many years ago and in winter if I didn't reach 50mph it wouldn't provide enough heat to warm the interior.  I guess the water thermostat stayed shut.  My wife's Fiesta turbo is the opposite - after a few miles at slow speed it is belting heat out into the cabin.

I remember my mother's '76 mini having the air intake movable so in winter you would point it to the engine block while in summer would be turn away.

3 hours ago, husoi said:

I remember my mother's '76 mini having the air intake movable so in winter you would point it to the engine block while in summer would be turn away.

Likewise with my 60’s vintage Vauxhall.

On 25/01/2022 at 07:21, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Is that the kind like a window roller blind? You had a cord you fed into the car so you could raise and lower it as necessary without needing to open the bonnet. This was akin to rocket science back then. 

Dug my book out the loft.

On another page it tells you how to upgrade your car with fitting a screen washer or indicators.

20220126_195007.jpg

20220126_195135.jpg

• Like 2

On 25/01/2022 at 12:03, keith1200rs said:

That's probably true, and probably simply radiated heat from the engine.  I had a Honda Prelude many years ago and in winter if I didn't reach 50mph it wouldn't provide enough heat to warm the interior.  I guess the water thermostat stayed shut.  My wife's Fiesta turbo is the opposite - after a few miles at slow speed it is belting heat out into the cabin.

The opposite I would say, thermostats were crap back then, honda was a pretty good car, thermostat will have been stuck open, they a operate and restrict flow depending on temp, stuck open you just froze, you used to have a winter Stat option but few people would swap them, most just drove round freezing 😁