New car (newer not brand new)

rennie

my 61 plate Astra cdti is getting a bit tired,

I've just put a reserve on a very low mileage (25k) 17 plate Astra sri.:scratch:

but! this 1 is petrol! 1.4T (150PS) :scratch:

Anyone had any experience with these newer, smaller turbo petrol engines?

Good or bad!?

Although it's probably a bit late now :classic_biggrin:

9 minutes ago, rennie said:

my 61 plate Astra cdti is getting a bit tired,

I've just put a reserve on a very low mileage (25k) 17 plate Astra sri.:scratch:

but! this 1 is petrol! 1.4T (150PS) :scratch:

Anyone had any experience with these newer, smaller turbo petrol engines?

Good or bad!?

Although it's probably a bit late now :classic_biggrin:

Wandering cranks, oil pressure loss and replacement engines,  other than that just the usual stuff. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, rennie said:

:classic_biggrin:I found some bad reviews but I also found a lot of good ones!

I won't be towing with it and it's not an auto

I've a mate with a garage who's replaced a few engines in them,  predominantly women owned who don't tow,  so your half way OK 😁 

• Haha 1

I've been looking a good while!

Diesel is 10P a litre more than petrol these days

There are just no low mileage diesels out there that suit my budget/requirements.

I still can't quite get my head round these new petrol smaller cc turbo engines but I knew I'd have to bite the bullet 1 day.

Fingers crossed this 1 might last me till I retire

• Like 1

I believe the early 1.4 turbos had a lot of problems, it was a new engine that debuted in the Astra. 

They did a lot to fix it for 2017 onward models, so hopefully yours benefited. I believe the 1 litre turbo suffered with more problems however. 

Vauxhall can be a bit of a mixed bag, some last forever, others have no shortage of problems. My old Corsa would only work if you bashed the fuse box once a week. Something was loose, never found it despite a hundred hours looking :lol:

• Like 2

I've had two old Vauxhalls. A Corsa & an Astra Diesel estate. Both over ten years old when I first got them. Served me fine with only usual needing doing like brake pipes or coil springs etc.

Gave the Corsa to my Wife's Mum as she wanted something to keep the miles down on her own car. She had it less than a year before telling me her mechanic had said it wasn't worth the cost to get it to pass it's mot :shock:    Wasn't bothered really as it had only cost me £450 and lasted me two years before I gave it to her so didn't owe me anything.

The Astra I had for 3/4 years and it was a solid car. Broke down on me once which turned out to be the starter motor. I spent a week or so parking on hills & bump starting it while waiting for new motor to be delivered :lol:

I gave that car to my Wife's brother and he had it for about 1 1/2 years in which time it needed loads of work doing which I wouldn't of bothered for the age of the car. Head gasket replacement which cost him £900 I believe!! I'm betting the car wasn't worth much more than £800 

What I've learnt from this is that my Wife's family are bloody rough on cars :mrgreen:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, husoi said:

Unless you travel more than 100 miles a day I can't imagine one reason why you wouldn't go EV.

The trouble is the 1 day in 15 or whatever when you want to do 400 miles and it takes you a ridiculous amount of time to do it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

The trouble is the 1 day in 15 or whatever when you want to do 400 miles and it takes you a ridiculous amount of time to do it.

And 66p per kW of power from a fast charger... Cost a friend £30 to charge his car from 50% and that was only about 140 miles worth of range!

So if you're in a hurry, it can be done, but bloody costly. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rennie said:

I do 60 miles a day, nowhere to charge at work,

unless I had stupid money to spend there isn't an EV I even partly like.

Too late now! I paid for it today, collect it on Friday :classic_biggrin:

That's good 👍 

Ps

They like catching fire too,  handy if it's a cold winter 😂 

• Haha 4