New toy

fullscreenaging

I got myself a drone the other week. A DJI Mini 3 Pro. I’m new to it all, but loving it. Only managed to get out a few times to fly it so far but have taken a few clips. 
I’ve got one uploaded to YouTube so far. I wasn’t controlling on this clip. It was on a program. 
Next chance I get I’m gonna see if I can get some footage of me on the bike.

Anyone else have a drone that can offer some tips? 

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, husoi said:

How about that?

A musical drone 😄

Just what you need on a nice summer day something droning on. 

As good fun as they are I think they should be fair game to be shot out of the sky when your trying to relax and some annoying f**kwit is intent on filming the beach your on or even worse having a good look around your garden. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bender said:

Just what you need on a nice summer day something droning on. 

As good fun as they are I think they should be fair game to be shot out of the sky when your trying to relax and some annoying f**kwit is intent on filming the beach your on or even worse having a good look around your garden. 

Had my next door neighbor flying one of those mechanical midges over the house and garden. Funny enough after I show him the finger (Mr. Bean style) the drone never show up again. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Flying anything is getting difficult these days with the new regs. Do you need flight and operator ID for this one or just operator?

On 23/08/2022 at 04:21, fullscreenaging said:

I got myself a drone the other week. A DJI Mini 3 Pro. I’m new to it all, but loving it. Only managed to get out a few times to fly it so far but have taken a few clips. 
I’ve got one uploaded to YouTube so far. I wasn’t controlling on this clip. It was on a program. 
Next chance I get I’m gonna see if I can get some footage of me on the bike.

Anyone else have a drone that can offer some tips? 

Only a first reaction but I would have thought that flying in the vicinity of a  National Air Traffic System facility would be an absolute no no . And an obvious one . 

The remote control wouldn’t have let me even take off in a restricted area. It’s has all airports, prisons and no fly zones etc built into the system. There are also lots of apps to help determine where you can’t fly. 
I checked and rechecked but I couldn’t find anything to tell me that I couldn’t fly there before I lifted off. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fullscreenaging said:

The remote control wouldn’t have let me even take off in a restricted area. It’s has all airports, prisons and no fly zones etc built into the system.

Thats interesting, I have wondered before what stops idiots/criminals from flying into airports etc

I fly drones at work, although not often. Use a mini and a p4. We have operational authorisation from the CAA. The mini won't take off in restricted areas but this can be overridden. I flew recently in the stanta airspace restriction, after getting permission from their ops. The mini required me to tick some boxes and have a code texted me before it would takeoff, basically to say I would accept full responsibility should I fly into an apache, no such issue with the P4. I'm not sure the dji maps are 100% accurate but probably pretty close. We check maps, notams and fill out a ream of checklists before we fly.

• 1 month later...

I also have recently purchased DJI but Mini SE https://www.extremefliers.com/best-mini-drones/ the second one. This drone has so many safety features built in and is so user friendly I strongly recommend this to anyone who wants a hobby grade drone that’s affordable. It lands itself, it is incredibly stable I flew it on a windy day and it never drifted away or anything. I did push the limit on the range while filming and it returned back to me and I loved that! 

34 minutes ago, Erin0110 said:

I also have recently purchased DJI but Mini SE https://www.extremefliers.com/best-mini-drones/ the second one. This drone has so many safety features built in and is so user friendly I strongly recommend this to anyone who wants a hobby grade drone that’s affordable. It lands itself, it is incredibly stable I flew it on a windy day and it never drifted away or anything. I did push the limit on the range while filming and it returned back to me and I loved that! 

What is the limit of the range? 

A lot of the reviews talk about reduced range due to Wifi buildings etc might be best to read as many reviews as possible.

Overall seemed to be quite a popular starting drone.

Cheers 

Ian

2 hours ago, Bender said:

What is the limit of the range? 

Regardless of what the range is I believe you can only fly these in line of sight anyway?  I also believe they're restricted to a maximum altitude of 400ft above ground level?  There was a post about them over here not that long ago,  I was talking to a guy flying one using something called FPV, he was getting some brilliant footage around the old mines.  Dji drones aren't particularly cheap .... But what is now.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

Regardless of what the range is I believe you can only fly these in line of sight anyway?  I also believe they're restricted to a maximum altitude of 400ft above ground level?  There was a post about them over here not that long ago,  I was talking to a guy flying one using something called FPV, he was getting some brilliant footage around the old mines.  Dji drones aren't particularly cheap .... But what is now.

Yes, but if I shoot it down when it's 4k away he's never catching me 😁 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I have been told that anyone flying a drone or model aircraft these days needs a CAA certificate. 

Way back in the day of 35MHz transmitters the range was way further than you could see it anyway.

F**k that .

Screenshot_20211020-130006.png

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I have been told that anyone flying a drone or model aircraft these days needs a CAA certificate. 

Way back in the day of 35MHz transmitters the range was way further than you could see it anyway.

If the drone is not a toy then you need to purchase a drone ID for £10 a year. You can also take a multiple choice online test to acquire a flyer ID which is free and lasts for 5 years. It’s very easy and all the answers are in the drone code on the CAA website. 
There are less restrictions on drones that weigh under 250g but still rules to follow such as keeping your drone in line of sight at all times and making sure you fly safely at all times. 
The height restriction is 400ft max as @manxie49 has stated.  
The DJI drones record every flight so if the worst should happen then evidence is there. 

7 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

If the drone is not a toy then you need to purchase a drone ID for £10 a year. You can also take a multiple choice online test to acquire a flyer ID which is free and lasts for 5 years. It’s very easy and all the answers are in the drone code on the CAA website. 
There are less restrictions on drones that weigh under 250g but still rules to follow such as keeping your drone in line of sight at all times and making sure you fly safely at all times. 
The height restriction is 400ft max as @manxie49 has stated.  
The DJI drones record every flight so if the worst should happen then evidence is there. 

Less restrictions if drone is under 250g BUT if it is fitted with a camera then same restrictions as if over 250g. 
I think the restrictions cover all aircraft, drones, gliders and powered over 250g.

4 hours ago, JRH said:

Less restrictions if drone is under 250g BUT if it is fitted with a camera then same restrictions as if over 250g. 
I think the restrictions cover all aircraft, drones, gliders and powered over 250g.

No

Under 250 with a camera and less restriction than a drone over 250

If under 250 you can fly over uninvolved people, but you can’t if over
If over 250 you keep a horizontal distance of 30 meters from people when take off and landing TOAL. When flying in the open category. 

There are different categories and subcategories to get your head around. 

It’s on the CAA website