Bike training

Bellejane

Hi I've been wanting to ride a bike for many years now. I'm 34 and it's been a dream of mine to finally own and ride a bike. I don't want a big powerful bike, so something with an engine size of 300! Maybe something a little bigger. As all I've done for the last 20 years is look and admire. But NOW I finally want to stop looking and finally learn, practise and finally get on a bike. I love Kawasaki ninjas. Sorry but I do 🙈 I'm looking for advice, knowledge and the best routes to go down. I'm not rushing into getting everything done in a month a year. I want to give myself a few years to gain on experience, and build on my confidence of finally hitting the open road. (I've never driven on a road, I lack confidence at the moment) Here's the crazy part I don't drive! Yes not even a car. I've driven a car on private land but I've never been interested in owning a car. I'd like someone to shell out their knowledge I know I've got to start from the bottom and work my way up and yes small steps it will be with setting goals in between. 

Please no negative comments as this is something I've been building myself up for for myself, my dream, well for me really as to finally achieve this would be a great thing. 

So yeah anyone who had to start from the bottom and work their way up to be a experience rider.

I'm a woman who has been window shopping for many years, stopping and looking at bikes along the sea front in the summer admiring and wondering. 😔

I hold a provisional licence only, I've been hard at the theory and hazard precaution test. 

I'm passing just over the pass rate of 86% or hitting in the mid 90% depending on the questions. Best yet is 96% I know I've got to do certain test and all that. I just want people to give advice on when would be best to start doing things to build on experience and hopefully passing the courses with flying colours. Or what to do first after I've done the course and pass. (Hopefully that is.)

Thank you.

Edited by Bellejane
  • Like 1

Hi and welcome to the forum 

You sound like you lack a bit of confidence in yourself in doing it? 

if thats the case then I wouldn't go straight in I would stick to your plan of taking it easy 

I would ring around some training schools and see about having a day on a bike off road to teach you control and the basics then ask their advice on what to do 

If you are a decent rider you never know they may say take full test and if thats the case you can still take it slowly and start off with a small bike 

They may advise that you do more off road training and then CBT then do test in a years time or something 

The first port of call would be to get on a bike and see how you are 

• Like 2

Thanks guys, yeah I wouldn't rush into doing this. As I'm very cautious as a passenger in a car, so ideally I need my confidence boosted before hitting the road anyway. 

This is why I thought it would be better to ask experience riders. See what's what. Thanks again 😀

• Like 2

Hello and Welcome :thumb:

I'd go and look at/ talk to any local(ish) training schools,

see what they have to offer.

Do you have any friends who may have done training recently?

Do they have recommendations? If not try to read reviews etc.

Your instructor can make a huge difference! So getting the right one for you is important.

Good Luck! and remember it's meant to be fun and enjoyable :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Ok I am not the dreamer I am get in with it so....

Get a push bike any cheap one and practice. Cycle paths, car parks  only on the road if feeling brave it's about getting on 2 wheels balance, experiencing different road surfaces.  Falling off could be expected depending how much cycling you have done.

On the road it's much less scary and easier on a motorbike.

Book a CBT over 2 days or more. Be prepared to fail first time it doesn't matter the best of us do. 

Then once you have CBT buy cheap 125cc and start riding.  Quite roads car parks no pressure, you don't have to go anywhere.

Once feeling confident start on lessons for big bike riding, step by step.

Some will say do DAS and quick course to full licence if confidence is an issue I recommend slowly slowly.

Once you've got your big licence, start looking at additional training again.  BikeSafe and advanced riding ..

In all this try and find a riding buddy someone you enjoy riding with, this can be challenging.  I have friends I ride with some are to quick some are to slow one or 2 are really good to ride with. 

When doing this as passenger look at driving styles what cars do how they react. Can you predict the ones that are going to pull out? How the traffic is going to flow.

I reckon the best thing you can do is find yourself an instructor you like, someone you trust. Go visit some training schools near you and talk to the staff and explain your situation.

I've loved bikes since I was tiny, so when I had the spare money and opportunity I called a local school who came recommended about just what to do. They were lovely, suggested I go down and have a chat about what I wanted to get out of biking, sit on a few they use for training and get a feel for them - there was never any pressure to go ahead and spend money it was all about me being comfortable in the right decision.

I tried a taster session, again they were really patient with me as I was nervous and anything, even showing me as a pillion what they were doing before asking me to try anything. I had couple of these before I finally did my CBT. After that I got a little 125 to practice on, I spent many a day on the local streets and some private land just to get a feel for it. I decided not long after I wanted a full licence, I paid for a full training course that meant I could take my time and have as many lessons as needed to get my full licence (and I took full advantage). 

It took me roughly six months to get my full licence and I'm proud of that! I couldn't have cared less about how long it took so long as I was comfortable and confident. I was terrified of moving onto the larger CC bike but that's where the trust and relationship with my instructor came into it, they believed in me and just needed to get me to do the same.

I started biking late in life, I'm 40 and very much a short arse and tip the scales at 7 stone so any bike is gigantic and heavy to me but I'm loving the freedom and new-found confidence this has given along with the many new people I now count as friends I've met along the way.

I hope you do go after your dreams and finally get that Kawasaki you've always wanted 😊🏍️💚 

• Like 4