Road Rage

manxie49

Only ever been a victim of road rage once, whilst filtering, irate driver raced up behind me further down the road, flashing his lights and sounding his horn, I pulled over and got off the bike, he just sped past giving me the finger.  Stopping and getting off the bike was probably the wrong thing to do, especially with all this knife crime, the trouble with me is that I've never had much tolerance with tools such as that.  This is another example of what can happen, I hope the biker was ok and I hope that this complete and utter melt got exactly what was coming to him, and what he justly deserved, sooner or later, hopefully, he'll come against the wrong person.  I absolutely hate things like this!  https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/enraged-driver-follows-and-accosts-motorcyclist/vi-AA18swV4?ocid=mailsignout&pc=U591&cvid=7d354a6fb5034337a127e032ae059bf7&ei=18

• Like 1

I saw that first clip a few days ago and was trying to work out whether she'd done anything wrong by filtering to the front of the queue.

The regs depict crossings with zigzag lines along both sides of each approach (ie. two sets of zigzags down the centre of the road) meaning no overtaking, but here there is a broken hatch marking, and plenty of space to pull back in ahead of the nob in the Astra.

Whether the fact that you can filter on a broken hatch section overrides the single zigzag on the left is one for the experts. 

Either way, it seemed fair enough to me. But if you're going to do it, get away quick and don't get in anyone's way. No point hanging about for an argument.

Clearly no excuse for what the guy did in any case.

• Like 1

I’ve watched the clip a couple of times now and can’t really see anything she’s done wrong?  I asked the question about hatch markings once and was told that as long as there is no solid white line along the side of the hatch marking then entering that area is ok?  Not sure how correct that is though?  The guy in the Astra was way OTT in the way he behaved, I hope she did report it and he’s had the book thrown at him.

• Like 3

IMHO she did nothing wrong, or I would not of done.  Flipping him the bird was not clever on low powered bike.  How did he race of ahead and he end up behind her?

Either way he assaulted her.

To avoid the situation filter to behind the first car if on smaller bike not capable of out running car at front drop in behind them.  If it’s traffic light dragsters and you suspect they will be an idiot.  However in this case it would of been hard to know.

Second observation stop on petrol station forecourt or outside busy place, witness often stop aggression.

I often change my speed if I get a car playing i am not happy with.  If I have a car being difficult I have been known either slow and let them be until I can filter passed orto open it up hard to licence loosing speeds for 10 or so seconds the drop back to my motorway speed.   Most of the time this deters them from continuing, however there is always the odd one.

• Like 2

Totally out of order what he did 

Although I didn't see the point in filtering there! 

There was a couple of cars and it wasn't busy :?

Her attitude didn't help either 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Stu said:

Totally out of order what he did 

Although I didn't see the point in filtering there! 

There was a couple of cars and it wasn't busy :?

Her attitude didn't help either 

Still assault, but this is the reason why it's best just to let it go, unfortunately I'm not one for letting things go 😂 

• Like 3

Had a similar  happen to me but just let knobber past and watched him get flashed by a speed camera as he went hooning off into the distance. Guy in the video was totally out of order and the rider being female and all would have a case for assault I'd have thought.

• Like 4

He was an idiot, but she has a lot to learn as well. No point filtering to the front if you don't have the capability and intention of moving off so as not to hold up traffic behind you. Don't respond to acts of aggression. Never ever stop in a place where you are on your own. 

If might feel great to say we're man enough to clock him one but the consequences really aren't worth it. That kind of record can put all sorts of blocks on your life.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

He was an idiot, but she has a lot to learn as well. No point filtering to the front if you don't have the capability and intention of moving off so as not to hold up traffic behind you. Don't respond to acts of aggression. Never ever stop in a place where you are on your own. 

If might feel great to say we're man enough to clock him one but the consequences really aren't worth it. That kind of record can put all sorts of blocks on your life.

There was nothing wrong with her filtering. It was in a built up area. Her bike was capable of pulling away from the lights at a sensible speed for the conditions. I thought she did nothing wrong. Although giving the finger was unwise. But she was definitely provoked. And seemed quite young. I think as we get older we learn to have more restraint … no excuses for the actions of the motorist. I hope he is identified and prosecuted 

• Like 2

On 12/03/2023 at 08:21, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I have to say, I disagree. She wasn't hanging around getting going... he clearly was gunning for her because he didn't like being overtaken.

Not only did he assault her later -- how can he not have been arrested? -- but in the original incident he did a fair job of trying to kill her.

Maybe she was unwise with her gestures, but who hasn't done that when they were young? Back in the day, I got chased movie-style for a good half an hour around some back streets by two complete loons who in our prior altercation convinced me they were  actually armed!😮

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Breezin said:

I have to say, I disagree. She wasn't hanging around getting going... he clearly was gunning for her because he didn't like being overtaken.

Not only did he assault her later -- how can he not have been arrested? -- but in the original incident he did a fair job of trying to kill her.

Maybe she was unwise with her gestures, but who hasn't done that when they were young? Back in the day, I got chased movie-style for a good half an hour around some back streets by two complete loons who in our prior altercation convinced me they were  actually armed!😮

If she wasn't hanging around how did a Vauxhall Astra overtake her pulling away? My work bike is a 2006 CBF500, not exactly a light speed bike, but it can pull away from most cars from a standing  start.  

If there is a Tesla at the front I don't bother filtering because they will be quicker off the mark than I am. 

But I have no problems with Astras. If you filter to the front don't then be slower getting away than what you've just filtered past. That's just being silly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

If she wasn't hanging around how did a Vauxhall Astra overtake her pulling away?

Because he was wound up and  primed to have a go at her, and seemingly prepared to drive through her. She wasn't particularly slow.

If every motorist, even Astra drivers, took off like that no motorbike would ever filter.

A woman driving a Range Rover did a similar underpass from the lights stunt on me a couple of weeks back in a similar, chillingly reckless manner. My Interceptor is no drag racer,  but it usually pulls ahead easily from lights, unless some creep has an agenda, and you can't plan for that unless you live all your life in a race.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Breezin said:

Because he was wound up and  primed to have a go at her, and seemingly prepared to drive through her. She wasn't particularly slow.

If every motorist, even Astra drivers, took off like that no motorbike would ever filter.

A woman driving a Range Rover did a similar underpass from the lights stunt on me a couple of weeks back in a similar, chillingly reckless manner. My Interceptor is no drag racer,  but it usually pulls ahead easily from lights, unless some creep has an agenda, and you can't plan for that unless you live all your life in a race.

I have an Astra. It's a 1.8. It won't out accelerate most motorbikes. It just physically can't. She must have been slow moving off for that to have become an issue. 

Granted the guy is a total nob. But she put herself in a vulnerable position unless she had the capacity and intention of getting away sharpish. If you do that on a small bike and move off slowly you run the risk of nutters carving you up. So just don't go there in the first place. 

I filter a lot, but I'll only go to the front when I know I'll be quicker away than the cars I've filtered past. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I have an Astra. It's a 1.8. It won't out accelerate most motorbikes. It just physically can't. She must have been slow moving off for that to have become an issue. 

Granted the guy is a total nob. But she put herself in a vulnerable position unless she had the capacity and intention of getting away sharpish. If you do that on a small bike and move off slowly you run the risk of nutters carving you up. So just don't go there in the first place. 

I filter a lot, but I'll only go to the front when I know I'll be quicker away than the cars I've filtered past. 

Just because a motorcycle is capable of accelerating quicker than an average family car doesn’t mean that is a sensible speed to pull away from traffic lights in a built up area. The fact she had filtered past other vehicles is irrelevant 

• Like 2