How snug / tight should a leather jacket feel? (Newbie)

I've just taken delivery of my first bike jacket, a GoldTop Cafe racer.

I measure with a puffed out chest 42", so ordered a 44" to be safe, yet it feels too tight, especially across the shoulders and I've no frame of reference for how it is suppose to feel.

I imagine you don't want it too loose as you wouldn't want the armour to slip around in a fall, but at the same time if I stand straight, I can feel sides of the shoulders pressing firmly against the me and as soon as I raise my arms forward about 30 degrees out from my waist, it becomes fully tight across the whole upper back and starts to 'stretch' and shift to accomadate.

By the time I've got my arms out in front of my in a riding position, the jacket has been forced up enough for the collar to press against the under side of my chin. That can't be right can it?

This is whilst wearing nothing but a thin T-shirt underneath - I can't imagine wearing a jumper or hoodie.

I read that GoldTop are meant to fit true to size but I feel I'd need a 46 to feel comfortable across my shoulders, which just sounds weird.

I'm 6'4" and pretty thin, although clearly have broad shoulders. 

Does that sound normal, should these things be highly restrictive - I'd struggle to put a seat belt on in a car for example.

Thoughts?

You don't usually wear anything underneath leathers, well, maybe those cafe racer types. Should be good and tight but not uncomfortable. Wear it for 20 mins and see. 

Leathers should be a snug fit, but not overly restrictive when on the bike.  I agree with Bender, best bet is to go to a shop, try them on and see what suits.  Bring your bike with you if possible so you can have a sit on the bike wearing the leathers, they often feel a lot different when sat in a riding position on the bike than they do when stood up in a shop.  You tend not to wear thing things like hoodies or jumpers under leathers, usually a thin t-shirt and a pair of shorts at most "unless you're one of those purists" 😁  Im my experience, leathers do tend to give slightly after they've been worn for a while.

• Like 1

Went to J&S Accessories today and tried on jackets from pretty much all the main brands and had the same problem - I've got the torso of a racing snake and shoulders like a glider. I had to go to 46-48 in most jackets to get it to sit on my shoulders correctly that just left the rest of the jacket bellowing around like I'd just had a successful parachute landing.

All was not lost though, as I found what might very well be my saviour - the Knox armoured shirt/jacket which has L2 armour all over and AAA abrasion resistance, yet is a base layer to wear whatever I feel like on top. It is close fitting yet really stretchy where it needs to be and felt much more comfortable so I've gone in that direction. 

Edited by Interference Fit
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Interference Fit said:

Went to J&S Accessories today and tried on jackets from pretty much all the main brands and had the same problem - I've got the torso of a racing snake and shoulders like a glider. I had to go to 46-48 in most jackets to get it to sit on my shoulders correctly that just left the rest of the jacket bellowing around like I'd just had a successful parachute landing.

All was not lost though, as I found what might very well be my saviour - the Knox armoured shirt/jacket which has L2 armour all over and AAA abrasion resistance, yet is a base layer to wear whatever I feel like on top. It is close fitting yet really stretchy where it needs to be and felt much more comfortable so I've gone in that direction. 

Good choice, it's a fine thing is the knox. You could try hideout leathers for a leather jacket. They also do alterations and come highly recommended. 

I went to J and S a while ago - the only one that fitted me well was the knox too. 

I do wonder if it has been designed to fit  people - as you say stretch in the right places!

I am very happy with mine (I've got the mesh one) .. it is soooo cool -  :)

18 hours ago, Stu said:

There is a simple solution to your problem! 

Loads of breakfast runs and plenty of cake too :mrgreen:

This also helps prevent high speed wobble. At least that's my excuse for downing the large breakfast every time we're out. 

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Yeah a lot of those cafe jackets are posers job, more like standing around chatting at the pub sort, unzip it to be able to drink. They dont really allow much arm movement without affecting the rest of the panels of leather especially when new. 

you might be more of a french / Italian even possibly a swiss cut if tou wanna go leathering but dont bother is german stuff- unless you wanna start doing stu's advice.

Leather wants to be comfortably firm alround, never biting or tight to move about for road use... racers are different.

If it particularly biting from the off is a no. What you need to do is to spend at least 10-15mins or more not just wearing it casually but sit on a chair and put your self in the riding position that you are gonna be in.
does look silly but move about as if you was riding, this will tell tou if ther are any parts you find dont work like its too short in the arms while their bent or the collar rides up, is there not enough flexibility panel where u need it etc.
Where as much of the kit that will have contact with... if you buy gloves make sure tou wear your jacket while tou do the gloves cos does the glove allow for inside or outside the sleeve, does the cuff catch the sleeve or its too short. Things like that make buying correct from the first time.

buying a helmet- wear the jacket that its gonna pair with, pants - wear the jacket and boots together.

yeah knox is good stuff especially the gloves, never had a pair so right and last so long as them.

Ps. Gloves matter a great deal, not kjust on hand size but individual finger lengths... my left hand index is longer than my ring finger just short of my middle but my right hand the ring finger is longer than the index..the misses and daughters hands have different characteristics to so make sure you try on both pairs cos i know alot of shops dont display both and normally not always made mirror perfect in manufacturing.

Edited by RideWithStyles

I am getting new textiles and spent time at Infinity and J&S trying on various jackets and trousers. Sizing is a joke. A 2XL jacket from Dainese just about fitted, but I needed help to get it off. I know the staff say fit needs to be snug to keep armour in the right place, but sorry, I plan to need the armour 0.0001% of the time and to keep me safe, I prefer a looser fit. That way my movements are not restricted and I can layer up in winter (which gives a snugger fit) or have better ventilation in summer (so I get less tired, hot and bothered). So long the knee armour is not at my shins, it will do. I recommend a looser fit, with the exception of leathers for racing/track days, where accidents are far more likely and speeds high, so that is the time for a snug fit.

Agree.

you need to plan what ur going be using it for and with what...

if your just sunny day use, needs to fit and plan for it. If you buy in winter cold conditions (the body will shrink) and its a tight fit then try again in summer When the body is warm it swells slightly it could be tight and uncomfortable.

if your goona use it all year round, try to buy

in winter, not only deals to be had but if you have a winter body weight (plus shrinkage cue to rhe cooler condition)  and put on your layers on before hand you buy it you'll know it won't be too tight or cold. i allowed room for the my fat git weight plus jackets "thermal layer😅"  and my heated vest just to be sure it was "snug" but not restrictive. Then in summer when "i hopefully lose some weight" its hot and the body swells somewhat it still wont be too loose.