Builders?

Fiddlesticks

Most jobs on the house I've done myself, but this one is a bit bigger, so we thought, stuff it, let's get someone in. It'll all be done by Christmas...

First job - get three quotes.

That's what everyone says, right?

So we got a few recommendations at the local builders merchant while pricing up the materials and gave them a call.

Of the three, two didn't turn up to the arranged appointment to view the job. No messages either. The third came, seemed knowledgeable, and gave us a written quote by email. No address or landline on the document.

Bit of an email knockabout ensued. "Start date in two months... We'll need a bit up front to cover costs of materials.." (most of which are already on site).  "Be in touch nearer the time about the first payment".  Two days later: "can you send us one and a half grand please?".

How far in advance do they buy their materials?

Am I wrong to be getting bad vibes here?

Sounds like a Clint Eastwood impersonator...

Personally I would buy the materials instead of paying a fee on the contractor price.

As construction estimator I always procure at least 5 quotes and if any is showing not be interested I will get another one.

If they don't give you at least a phone number you can't rely on them.

Have you tried the findatrader website?

Only thing I would ask a contractor to buy as materials are the aggregates because I can't be bothered to measure how much they will need and waste. If they will be buying it then they will be more careful on waste.

WARNING!!! Don't pay in advance and even worse if you have no idea where the guy lives or never saw his face.

• Like 3

I haven't ever paid upfront for any sort of building work and never would. I have mostly dealt with local people with known local addresses and phone numbers. All the tradespeople I used had trade accounts with suppliers so didn't have to pay for the materials in advance anyway. Steer clear, I say.

• Like 2

I do get it, from the other side. You don't want to be messed around by non-paying customers. But when "I'll be in touch nearer the time" becomes "can you send me a large chunk of cash right now?" you do have to wonder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fiddlesticks said:

I do get it, from the other side. You don't want to be messed around by non-paying customers. But when "I'll be in touch nearer the time" becomes "can you send me a large chunk of cash right now?" you do have to wonder.

Run away, far and fast. 

• Like 2

I've paid up to 50% in advance to cover materials (1000s of bricks) which seemed reasonable enough to me. But this was with a local guy who everyone knows.

In your case there's enough to make you unsure, so move on and get some new quotes. 

• Like 1

I don't know your project but here's my two penneth.

I only use people I already know however, if you don't know the builder, ask for a recent project they have completed and ask for references or addresses and can you go and look at the works. Especially If the works you intend to carry out are costly. 

You need a project plan, very simple one which will outline the project and a sequence of works along with anticipated cost and payment schedules. 

Nothing wrong with interim payments as long as you have a project cost. I would never pay up front, but would pay for works completed as per project plan. Usually every two weeks. 

i.e Example Extension

Week one - Groundworks - excavate ground works/footings, carry out drainage works. inform building control to inspect, then concrete footing and prepare for brickworks and groundwork and sub base

Cost - Footings/concrete £800, building inspector £80. Blockwork £400, Sub base materials £400 + Labour ? once satisfied - pay builder. On to week 3&4 and so on. 

I have paid for materials i.e steel, bi-folding doors, underfloor heating etc. 

But it does depend on the project and the builder. I have a good repour with mine, and we agree I buy certain components when he doesn't have an account with that supplier. (He makes a butty from the discount he receives on his accounts with all other building materials) + Labour. 

Edit: ensure they are quoting apples for apples and nothing lost in translation 

Edited by Pie man
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pie man said:

Edit: ensure they are quoting apples for apples and nothing lost in translation 

Yes, tried that, but got the impression it was more of an inconvenience than anything.

I've told them no thanks. Will probably do bits myself and pull in different trades as and when required.

• Like 3

I would be very weary of anyone without a land line and an address, there are numerous trades that pull out of the local travellers camp every day, you wouldn't want to have an issue with any of them because they are all in the same union 🤔

• Like 4

I/We have had a really bad experience with builders!

He was meant to be a mate!

It dragged on years, 

We knew all the pitfalls and still got shafted!

( I can't bring myself to actually work it out but we must be at least £30k down!)

All I can say is be careful, be extra careful and then be careful again!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I can't speak from experience as I do all my own work, couldn't afford to hire trades if I wanted and I don't trust them not to balls it up anyway.

Whenever I've done work for mates I insist on buying materials or send them what to get/ from where. The trouble with letting average joe source materials is he'll go to B&Q where a lot of stuff is overpriced and crap quality. And the job then takes twice as long and looks half as good (can't polish a turd) and costs them more.

Anyway "Materials up front" seems suspicious because most trades will have accounts with suppliers. Interim payments not uncommon for big jobs but up front seems odd and you'd be right to question that - it may be what you're having done has a material shortage and the guy has other large jobs on account so ordering well in advance without payment is a problem.

But also they could be a cowboy unable to give you an answer.

If the guy says no to you sourcing materials I completely understand.

Edited by megaross
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Any half decent builder / contractor shouldn’t be living hand to mouth and need cash up front to cover materials.

As someone who arranges building work for a living a) never pay anything in advance, not even a deposit b) both parties should sign a contract which includes an exact description of the work, preferably a full specification. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A guy I used to work with had an extension built, he set up an account with the building suppliers so the builder just went and collected goods from the depot. Each month my friend would see an invoice from the supplier and check what had been bought then added more funds as required.

Your man sounds well dodgy, best avoided.

• Thanks 1