Recommend me a crimping tool.

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Need to fit a new indicator again for various reasons (fecking bike obeying the law of gravity). 

Have got one of these 

https://www.voilamart.co.uk/voilamart-insulated-wire-crimper-wire-terminals-connectors-ratcheting-crimper-plier-tool-for-22-10awg.html

But it won't crimp small enough for the bullet connectors to stay on. I'm probably just being thick, but sometimes my beauty absorbs too much of my brain power.

I always prefer to solder than crimping although I know some defend crimping is better.

Ideally, crimp and solder after to make sure nothing goes anywhere.

A small crimping pliers would to the trick for small contacts 

• Like 1

I can't copy the link on my phone....but if you look on Amazon for the Silverline crimping tool it's the same as the one I use.

The vast sum of £2.70. I've crimped small connectors with it. Never had a problem with them coming adrift. 

Some Crimpers like the one in your link have interchangeable jaws maybe same company can supply smaller crimp jaws

Like the one in this photo on ebay

image_2023-10-21_204843766.png

Edited by V650

Im with Husoi,

crimping should only be used under certain cases and this is not one of them.

pretty nasty and should only be viewed as an emergency to get by in a car for when your speakers/sub/amp cables got pulled out while you were getting shite out of your Nova.

no way good enough for bikes that's outside in the wet and really thin wires!

cut, shef, slip over shrink tubes below, link or twist the wires, solder, pull tube over solder, heat the tube and its sealed snd thinner to pop back in a tight space than the crap crimps. Simples.

get a cheap gas soldering iron kit, can of gas, shrink tubes. 

Edited by RideWithStyles

699CFEC3-BE7E-4972-8950-92BA4310E288.thumb.jpeg.724406498c27bb31c961556d7f653c06.jpeg
This mid transplant, now being a Honda you have to completely strip the hell out of the bike to get to anything on it so thats why it looks like its been smashed up lol.😂 

OEM are filament bulbs so i needed to cut the OEM connections, new resistors and new led indicators.

Double check the wires for being correct and working in the order for lights.
solder the original wire to the resistors and then the indicators.

i didn't have time to take a finished photo but you'd never get crimps to fit in, corrosion would have got to them  so ud have to redo them again in no time and it would look horrible.

Edited by RideWithStyles

32 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Im with Husoi,

crimping should only be used under certain cases and this is not one of them.

pretty nasty and should only be viewed as an emergency to get by in a car for when your speakers/sub/amp cables got pulled out while you were getting shite out of your Nova.

no way good enough for bikes that's outside in the wet and really thin wires!

cut, shef, slip over shrink tubes below, link or twist the wires, solder, pull tube over solder, heat the tube and its sealed snd thinner to pop back in a tight space than the crap crimps. Simples.

get a cheap gas soldering iron kit, can of gas, shrink tubes. 

No thanks.

• Solution
18 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

699CFEC3-BE7E-4972-8950-92BA4310E288.thumb.jpeg.724406498c27bb31c961556d7f653c06.jpeg
This mid transplant, now being a Honda you have to completely strip the hell out of the bike to get to anything on it so thats why it looks like its been smashed up lol.😂 

OEM are filament bulbs so i needed to cut the OEM connections, new resistors and new led indicators.

Double check the wires for being correct and working in the order for lights.
solder the original wire to the resistors and then the indicators.

i didn't have time to take a finished photo but you'd never get crimps to fit in, corrosion would have got to them  so ud have to redo them again in no time and it would look horrible.

What the f**k are you on about. 

8 minutes ago, curlylegend said:

What's wrong with swearing ?  Didn't hold Sir William Connolly back much .....

The swearing I enjoy. The futility of deliberately making something more difficult for no reason I don't enjoy. 

20 hours ago, goat said:

Need to fit a new indicator again for various reasons (fecking bike obeying the law of gravity). 

Have got one of these 

https://www.voilamart.co.uk/voilamart-insulated-wire-crimper-wire-terminals-connectors-ratcheting-crimper-plier-tool-for-22-10awg.html

But it won't crimp small enough for the bullet connectors to stay on. I'm probably just being thick, but sometimes my beauty absorbs too much of my brain power.

Try these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-13656-way-Crimping-Tool/dp/B0001K9PBE/ref=asc_df_B0001K9PBE/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=271967412945&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5219522346583039977&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007201&hvtargid=pla-464065777622&psc=1&th=1&psc=1#immersive-view_1697973567134

2 hours ago, rennie said:

If you're really careful you can crimp with side cutters!

As an electrical engineer I can't condone this 🤭 but I would say I have cut through several bootlace ferrules using this method. 🤣

• Haha 3

I have set of these:

https://www.toolstation.com/minotaur-ratchet-crimping-tool/p46714?

They work ok except for smallest wires. Do a better job than the cheap ones.

However I am struggling to find someone to make up larger wire sizes, for the boat.  As soon as I mention the last bit the price rockets.

I need to come and measure that's £100 before you start.

Trying to find online, is challenging.

I can give the lengths and sizes, it's just getting them made up.

It's too connect to batteries via a VCR.

Are these sort of things any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185997007669?

not trying to hijack the thread.

On 21/10/2023 at 15:57, goat said:

Have got one of these 

The connectors that they crimp are poor! get the crimp set that @V650 recommends and buy some decent connectors like this type 

https://www.automotiveconnectors.com/connector-terminals.html

you can then create crimps and connectors that are as good as or better than OEM 

You can also buy decent superseal connectors and create a removable watertight connection 

Superseal Connectors

The possibilities are endless with a decent set

soldered joints can go brittle due to vibration 

I use cheap ratchet crimpers with interchangeable jaws (and hydraulic crimpers for battery terminals, to be a technical dick) with unsheathed crimps, I then solder and heatshrink the connector and smear in a bit of dielectric grease for good measure.

Unless of course waterproofing is required, in which case I use either the crimp and slide type you pick up from electronics suppliers or else straight solder and shrink johnny if I don't care about the disconnect.