Bad news for Whitby

keith1200rs

Not surprised.  Local councilers are like lemmings.  They seem hell bent on jumping off a cliff and taking everyone else with them.

The world is currently full of examples of the Dunning, Kruger effect in action.  Take heart, the emporers new clothes effect is coming to its conclusion.

• Like 1

Everyone will have to come to Scarborough- free parking in all council car parks and on street parking.  When I moved here 20 years ago my accountant was a biker and told me. It hasn't changed yet.

Edited by keith1200rs

2 minutes ago, Bender said:

Reading it the decision was down to northern rail not local council.

Correct. Although I seem to remember a few years ago the council banned motorcycle parking in several popular spots such as by the bandstand at the end of the pier.

I have to wonder why they have done this. It wouldn’t come from nowhere - there will be a reason. Might it be the usual reason, perhaps? Inconsiderate Idiots spoiling it for everyone else.

apparently it had become something of an attraction for bikers due to the cafe there.

Edited by Gerontious

Yeah and a few other odd places got affected by it, but not near me. 
thing is stupidly spreads and high level management decision's are hard to turn round once implemented.

At least scarb is abit nicer than blackpool, cue in the jokes...

On a rant - Maybe they should have a wider spread of prejudices, no shite parking, no old people parking that also cant work out the parking machine, no wags with large suv that cant park, no scooters including e-bikes, no youths, no Harry Potter fans...

Off the rant now:

sooo it brought in trade from to neighbouring business which partially could still bring trade to themselves if people i know ride a bike to a station and get the train to somewhere else like a city where the bike would probably get stolen from if they traveled there by bike? Or they felt that motorcycles weren't paying the parking?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway people cant be that scared of us bikers, when i park in the tesco motorbike bays nearest to me which is terrible for security and safety leading to why quite a few people including employees use the bicycle bays. customers often walk past really close or brush past (the older ones, weirdly women are definitely the worse for it 🤔 in my experience around here) even when while trying to parking, loading the tb or setting off.

I do like a happy ending and the fact that if I go to Whitby I can now park in the railway station. Though why I would want to park there and not on the front, with a sea view or near a Whitby fish and chippy is another question entirely. 

Anyway drama over… until the next one.

IMG_1700.thumb.jpeg.313215aaa56cbdaaae6e6995d5a6f840.jpeg

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Parking in Whitby is really difficult. Went there last year. Lots of bikes were parked on a large paved area. Not doing any harm. Lots of room for pedestrians. But we’re all told to leave by a traffic warden. Wasn’t arguing. We had eaten our fish and chips by then … it is a good thing this decision is apparently reversed. But if they expect bikes to park two to a car bay. Surely the fee should be half that for a car?

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect bikes to pay if you're using a standard space. My local town centre car parks have a motorcycle only section is which is free, but if that's full and you have to park your bike on one of the regular slots, you pay. Fair enough, but two to a space, sorry mate I ain't going to do that. Sometimes when I'm out I'm Billy No Mates and I don't want someone I don't know blocking me in, and if I'm out on my R1250RT, complete with panniers etc, there's not a lot of room left for anyone else anyway.

Edited by Capt Sisko
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Davidtav said:

Surely the fee should be half that for a car?

Don’t start on fees for parking bikes, the variations can be massive,  round here it varies:

Free every where,

Free in bike parking,

1 ticket one space (play bike Tetris stack em high),

One per bike regardless of number of bays,

I am sure more can be found - although I am not sure how you find out which is being enforced without getting a parking fine.

In Gloucester there's a dedicated space for parking bikes which can maybe take 12 bikes but there's rarely more than 5 there. Otherwise in car parks bikes are expected to pay which means having to use the app as a paper ticket on a bike isn't going to last long. You can take your chance parking on streets but......

Edited by S-Westerly