Leathers when it's cold?

My memory of leather jeans and jacket is the sweat 

Does anyone wear theirs when it's cold, like 2-3 degrees kinda cold? 

I like my textiles, but thinking about wearing leathers for an hours ride tomorrow morning. 

Cheers 

why not? as long as its dry and the leather isn't summer friendly perforated. I would probably need to wear thermals underneath plus an extra layer as a top. But fortunately I don't have the choice anymore as leathers became impractical and ive not worn them for almost 20 years.

Anyway, this time of year, working up a sweat on a bike - regardless of the material is quite an achievement.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I bought myself a new Dainese leather jacket a coupe of years ago. So much snugger than the textiles I had been wearing and warmer with the inner liner that came with it. Without the liner I have not found it sweaty at all in the summer. Best thing I have bought for a while.

Prefer textile bottoms in winter and jeans in the summer, leather would be too much then.

By the time you read this I guess you will have gone out, hope you had a great ride and have a better idea of what you want to wear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use leathers 90% of the time.

Only waterproofs when raining 

If could just get extra layers

• Thanks 1

Thanks  for taking the time good people.

I was out in my leathers for about 90 minutes, yup, fecking cold!! 😂 😂

OK, it was only 1 degree C, but now I know.

They're also pretty snug, I last wore them 23 years ago, I seem to have grown into them a little 🫣

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

Thanks  for taking the time good people.

I was out in my leathers for about 90 minutes, yup, fecking cold!! 😂 😂

OK, it was only 1 degree C, but now I know.

They're also pretty snug, I last wore them 23 years ago, I seem to have grown into them a little 🫣

They shrink over time apparently. Or so Kate from Hideout told me. 

To go with your original question, I rarely wear my leathers since I discovered how versatile textiles are. I stopped wearing them for touring about 9 years ago, I may wear them on dry spring or autumn days. I think the  last time I wore them was n June last year. 

• Like 1

I've given up on leathers completely. Hopeless in the rain and unless perforated and lightweight roasting in the summer. Jeans and a Klim summer jacket in the summer with waterproofs if necessary and a textile suit in the winter. Warm, dry and comfy. What's not to like?

Plus these don't require the TLC that leather does and I'm a lazy sod.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

I've given up on leathers completely. Hopeless in the rain and unless perforated and lightweight roasting in the summer. Jeans and a Klim summer jacket in the summer with waterproofs if necessary and a textile suit in the winter. Warm, dry and comfy. What's not to like?

Plus these don't require the TLC that leather does and I'm a lazy sod.

I'm already looking at summer textiles 😄

27 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

I'm already looking at summer textiles 😄

Now is definitely the best time to buy summer gear. just as early summer is the best time for winter gear. unless you are the type that must always have the latest and greatest.  Though to be honest the 'greatest' usually returns for a few years before being updated.

Bear in mind that summer gear normally falls into two distinct types. fully vented - where entire panels are made from a mesh like material that maximises air flow. and generally doesn't come with extra zip-out warm layers or waterproofing.

Or what is more usually described as 3 season. so usually with zip opening vents and probably a warm liner that can be removed once its warm enough and the put back in when it cools down a bit - think spring and autumn.  These normally come with either a zip-in waterproof membrane, or are made. from a laminate where the waterproof membrane is bonded to a stronger, more abrasion resistant outer.

My main jacket is 3 season - but in reverse. so its late autumn/winter/spring. And Im actively looking for a fully vented jacket for this years tours. I'll also pack a waterproof over jacket in case of summer storms. heat waves seem to be the new normal - we had them both in Southern Europe last June. but also in the north, in the Eifel region in September. and to my mind a heat wave is as bad.. if not worse in some ways than the cold.

A vented jacket can be a more practical buy than a fully vented/mesh as you can wear it for a much greater proportion of the season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jeans and leather jacket for 3 seasons, in the dry. Any sign of rain, and it's textiles for me

• Like 4

Leathers in the cold! thats a no from me! leathers have too many perforations in to keep you cool in summer than in the winter you are just asking for it! 

Textiles all the way in the cold with plenty of layers and the heated seat and grips on 

20 minutes ago, Copycat73 said:

who the fcuk wants to go out on 3°C ....  It will feel like -6°C 

I went out this morning and it was showing 1.5°c :shock: 

Well wrapped up and heated seat and grips on and it was fine and a really good 160 mile ride :cool:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

Leathers in the cold! thats a no from me! leathers have too many perforations in to keep you cool in summer than in the winter you are just asking for it! 

Textiles all the way in the cold with plenty of layers and the heated seat and grips on 

I went out this morning and it was showing 1.5°c :shock: 

Well wrapped up and heated seat and grips on and it was fine and a really good 160 mile ride :cool:

Yeah, my winter gear keeps me toasty, I don't even use the heated grips.

I just thought my leathers would be ok, but, nope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

Now is definitely the best time to buy summer gear. just as early summer is the best time for winter gear. unless you are the type that must always have the latest and greatest.  Though to be honest the 'greatest' usually returns for a few years before being updated.

Bear in mind that summer gear normally falls into two distinct types. fully vented - where entire panels are made from a mesh like material that maximises air flow. and generally doesn't come with extra zip-out warm layers or waterproofing.

Or what is more usually described as 3 season. so usually with zip opening vents and probably a warm liner that can be removed once its warm enough and the put back in when it cools down a bit - think spring and autumn.  These normally come with either a zip-in waterproof membrane, or are made. from a laminate where the waterproof membrane is bonded to a stronger, more abrasion resistant outer.

My main jacket is 3 season - but in reverse. so its late autumn/winter/spring. And Im actively looking for a fully vented jacket for this years tours. I'll also pack a waterproof over jacket in case of summer storms. heat waves seem to be the new normal - we had them both in Southern Europe last June. but also in the north, in the Eifel region in September. and to my mind a heat wave is as bad.. if not worse in some ways than the cold.

A vented jacket can be a more practical buy than a fully vented/mesh as you can wear it for a much greater proportion of the season.

Cheers @Gerontious

My textiles have zip out liners and lots of vents. I love my Bering jacket, but it's going to be a bit heavy for summer.

39 minutes ago, Copycat73 said:

Meeeeeee, especially as I've only been back on a bike for 4 weeks after 23 years. So, desperate to ride doesn't even come close 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Copycat73 said:

the inferior protection offered from textiles compared to leathers .. 

In actual fact unless you are riding on track a lot of more high end textiles give as much protection to road riders as leather. 

14 hours ago, Copycat73 said:

Me. Always go for a ride on New Year’s Day as long as there is no ice on the road. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JRH said:

Me. Always go for a ride on New Year’s Day as long as there is no ice on the road. 

Ah, you were that one person.....

As it happens, I  live on the Finchingfield (Essex) route, and despite the awful weather and floods, there were still bikes roaring around on New Year's Day. 

I love it, I often stop what I'm doing on the farm to just listen.

Someone visiting our farm went to London, and he said he couldn't believe how many bikes he saw on the M11 in the downpour,,,,,,,, bugger that.

• Like 2

Due to family commitments on New Year's day I always try and ride on New Year's Eve. Did this year and roads were quite busy but didn't see another loon on 2 wheels.

• Like 3

I was out on New Years Day - A nice ride around the Lancashire Countryside,  Keis Heated Gillet and Heated Gloves - it was a warm and toasty ride. :thumb:

• Like 2