Design/functions you love or hate

13 hours ago, Mickly said:

I’m not sure about that, if that were true then if certain religious groups believed that would not be able to drink it, which they do 🤷🏻‍♂️

Law and religions are different

...also one persons view of yes and no of parts or whole of that. now this is touching the no gos subject, but if they were truly to the zero alcohol due to religious reasons then they shouldnt be as it still has traces amounts unless your suggesting they dont/cant or wont read and take on what is actually on paper for all to read (which would be really silly like a any holy script is full of reading for example's ) but then the question is how much is too much or if they touch something that is a fraction higher with others knowing is that really frowned apon or casted?? is the usual of what suits the individual /holy person / scroll reader's interpretation as they see fit of how close they want to fit in the cut cloth.... 

Edited by RideWithStyles

8 hours ago, husoi said:

Unless you buy an EV then there is no oil to check :thumb:

Plenty of other shote that should be actually checked ( if you wanna trust a casio chip and tetris software coding 🤭) unless you want a huge moving bonfire...

jokes aside for the car...possibly but they are still 10yrs off at the earliest for me to truly think they might be right for me 70% of time bu the biggest hurdle is mostly price, distance and infrastructure (the joke is that is there isnt much positive about them) and for the bike, possible but still off by 20uears at the very earliest by their so called "progress" at the mo....

id be happier with the synthetic fuel, hydrogen or hybrid first seeming as the gov are a set of proper nob jockeys with no actual idea wtf that are doing or the simple implication (at best simply dgaf) that these will do within these knee jerk reactions....

Edited by RideWithStyles

8 hours ago, husoi said:

Nor really sure which way this should go.

Either toasters that are too small for the loaf or the idiots in the supermarket who should know the size of the toaster and make the phoking bread in a way that fits inside 😡😡

Gotta agree -Hate warburtons the most out the the big bread comps. Too tall and narrow for any toaster unless your gonna use the grill...crust that is thinish but needs a chain saw to cut and bread that goes off (hard stale) and mouldy in a few days if your lucky and those waxed packaging HF!!!🤬

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

Plenty of other shote that should be actually checked ( if you wanna trust a casio chip and tetris software coding 🤭) unless you want a huge moving bonfire...

jokes aside for the car...possibly but they are still 10yrs off at the earliest for me to truly think they might be right for me 70% of time bu the biggest hurdle is mostly price, distance and infrastructure (the joke is that is there isnt much positive about them) and for the bike, possible but still off by 20uears at the very earliest by their so called "progress" at the mo....

id be happier with the synthetic fuel, hydrogen or hybrid first seeming as the gov are a set of proper nob jockeys with no actual idea wtf that are doing or the simple implication (at best simply dgaf) that these will do within these knee jerk reactions....

I agree with your argument about the bike.

Too early to get one. You hardly get 100 miles out of zero ones never mind touring on one.

I'm on my 3rd ev and won't go back to fuel.

Infrastructure is not that much behind. Even more now that the free electricity is pretty much gone you will find plenty of stations with few cars charging.

My one does easily 180 miles on a charge during winter which is more than enough for my needs.

This always depends on individual circumstances as obvious. I perfectly understand that for some is still not an option.

Although, news of much better batteries are announced almost every day I won't be surprised if solid state ones will start to appear during this year maybe 2025.

That will bring ev bikes on the game with 200 miles tange and 10 min charging time.

Believe you me, they are a lot of fun to ride. 😁

• Like 1

Trouble with EV is that if everyone magically got one tomorrow the lights would go out. Try charging at a busy motorway services on a bank holiday... think I'll fly somewhere far away instead. 

• Like 1

Im not against the idea of the ev, but its not for everyone so really only if the individual is ok with its limitations.

infracture is still way too off useful or plentiful particularly when more people will be forced off ices and have to go ev which case the your gonna get alot of problems especially peak times, holiday, motorways, rural areas i could go on. Too many types of chargers and connections, apps and companies, to few filling posts that most dont work....

Again this has been rushed sooo much that its a complete mess directed by baffons.

Shall we bring up the tesla xmas problem that did the rounds?

You think if you watched a fuel station,

how many people get fuel in half or an hour..off peak and on?..how long does that take a single individual? Lets go generous 10mins because someone wants to send ages getting a chocolate bar while there. Go four filling places with pumps either side so 8 "customers" per 10mins, Numbers roughly 48 of people flowing and getting on with their lifes within a short period ready for more people doing what they need.

people are forced to fill there regardless and to a point less people would have to use them with evs ,but most people cant realistically charge them at home either, especially around our area.

the EV it's completely flipped, how many you gonna get? 8 or hell even 16 if your extremely lucky all just want a quick top up and dont leave there car parked there. cars staying for long periods doing sfa taking up space (if the mofos can park correctly in the first place) and if the chargers are working so until any of that gets addressed. So the real thing to do would be build a multi or high rise parking station with every bay has a charger to make the most of what you can provide... hell i dont want to think how much design and re enforcing will need to be with all the heavy weighted cables withing the structure, cables, chargers , substations , plus the evs themselves....

On 28/01/2024 at 09:02, Mickly said:

I’m not sure about that, if that were true then if certain religious groups believed that would not be able to drink it, which they do 🤷🏻‍♂️

Also ripe bananas can contain 0.2% ABV which is more than the 0.0% quoted on the lager & nobody gets Id’d for those. 

• Like 2

My problem with EVs is that I'm a car enthusiast at heart and  enjoy the complete package and visceral experience they bring. 

Best way I can sum up my apathy toward EVs is to watch the intro sequence to the the movie Cannonball Run with, and then without the sound switched on. Just not same without that howling V12 screaming away. 

I spend a fair few weekends at Santa Pod watching various forms of drag racing. There is nothing more dull than a Tesla or whatever running silently up the track, no matter how fast. Likewise, Formula E - no thanks. I'm only just clinging on to my interest in F1 by the skin of my teeth thanks to the soulless V6 hybrids. 

I appreciate my approach is one based on passion and history and not as a transportation means to an end, but that's how I see it. Yes I've driven plenty of EVs and yes, I 'get it' and yes they're fast, but I just can't get excited by them - far too benign and synthetic. 

• Like 4

I also spend a fair few days at santa Pod and agree totally.

By the way is there mileage in a TMBF meet at a RWYB day ?

I think it could be fun for those that want to play on the strip and lots of opportunity for piss taking from those that just want to watch.

By the way it can become very addictive lol.

What do you think @Stu ?

Cheers

Ian

Don't get me started.... I have a 22 honda civic.  Biggest pile of poo I bought in years.  Havng had a civic and an accord previously, I thought I was in for a treat.

Nope, cobbled together modern garbage.

It far too wide for the country lanes around here, you cannot reach the passenger door handle from the drivers seat unless you are leaned right over at full stretch.  Stupid wide.

It has automatic headlamps and an auto main beam that waits for you to start around a left hand bend and it suddenly goes onto main beam, blnding the poor sod on the other side of the road going into his right hand bend.  I switch it off as soon as I start the car.  What is wrong with using the switch? Our Fiesta also has auto lights, but never blinds anyone, it is very conservative of approaching traffic.

Auto start/ stop.  Another menace that the idiots at the EU stipulated that will get someone killed.  I bet 99% of people switch it off everytime they start the car. Nearly me once in the (auto) fiesta.  Forgot to switch it off and stopped at a junction.  Quite busy traffic needing a quick departure.

Engine stopped and I did not notice.

A gap appeared, floored go go pedal and by the time the engine started, the main pressure built up in the transmission and converter and enough for the brain to decide which clutch pack to select and engage, it was far too late.

Of course on a manual car, you put your foot on the clutch again if something is awry.  Nope, by the time I realised what had happened, the brains in engine and transmission reached an agreement and the soddin car took off like a scalded cat into the road.  I found myself looking up a truck drivers flared nostrils...

And civic again.  Adaptive cruise control.  Useful in 30mph zones, you do not have to keep glancing at the speedo.  You are approaching a parked car and a car approaching on the other side of the road.  You do the mental thing and judge the car will be well past the parked vehicle before you need to start pulling out.

BANG!  Brakes come on sharply and all manner of flashing lights on the dash lest you have fallen asleep at the wheel.

Or road calming chicanes.  You pull onto the other side of the road to pass one and there is a car parked 30 yards away on the side of the road.  Bang.  Nose pushed into steering wheel and admonishing amber lights giving you a rollocking on the dash.

Civic again.  Driving along and get the urge to scratch your backside.  You get five seconds before getting a rollocking from the dash telling you to put both your hands on the steering wheel.

Automatic wipers.. Wonder how many wiper blades have been torn to shreds on an icy morning by that "feature".

Civic.  To retract the door mirrors you would think you just lock the car.  You do in the fiesta.  Press lock on the fob and the door mirrors fold in.

Oh no.  On the civic you have to press the lock button twice and hold it down for a few seconds.

A bit dozy one rainy morning and one of the lads at work asked why all my windows were down... Apparently if you press and hold the unlock button, it helpfully puts all your windows down.

Civic.  Wet belt system cambelt.  130,000 mile / 6 year service means engine and transmission removing from the car to change the fecking thing as the designers helpfully put the belt at the rear of the engine.  £2000+ service bill.

Not that I worry about that.  As soon as the pcp agreement is finished, they can have the pile of crap back.  Im not keeping it.

Never ever thought I would ever find a ford fiesta to be an infinately better car in all respects than a honda civic.

Edited by Tinkicker
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ian Frog said:

I think it could be fun for those that want to play on the strip and lots of opportunity for piss taking from those that just want to watch.

What do you think @Stu ?

Cheers

Ian

Pod is best part of 4 hours each way for me, so would need to be a camping weekend personally, but as long as the weather is on your side, it's always a good day/weekend, although the gate prices have got a bit 'wincy' post Covid.

• Like 1

Touch screens rather than buttons.

I'll sleep better if an OEM just admitted that a single self contained TFT unit with touch screen is less expensive to produce than panels with a variety of illuminated buttons / wiring, and that the leaning this way is about cost saving and not about improving CX.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, husoi said:

You hardly get 100 miles out of zero ones never mind touring on one.

Have you watched that German lad on a Zero thing going round the world ?  His channels called Marc Travels. He's be doing it for over a year now, sett off from Germany last year and he's now in India. I honestly didn't think he's have got that far but he seems to get by.

I, personally wouldn't have one of these things, and I certainly wouldn't be going to the places he goes to.

But it's interesting, horrifying sometimes but interesting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

What do you think @Stu ?

Cheers

Ian

I would come and watch! 

Pretty pointless sending mine down the strip to be fair 😂

• Haha 1

On 29/01/2024 at 21:19, Tinkicker said:

Don't get me started.... I have a 22 honda civic.  Biggest pile of poo I bought in years.  Havng had a civic and an accord previously, I thought I was in for a treat.

Nope, cobbled together modern garbage.

It far too wide for the country lanes around here, you cannot reach the passenger door handle from the drivers seat unless you are leaned right over at full stretch.  Stupid wide.

It has automatic headlamps and an auto main beam that waits for you to start around a left hand bend and it suddenly goes onto main beam, blnding the poor sod on the other side of the road going into his right hand bend.  I switch it off as soon as I start the car.  What is wrong with using the switch? Our Fiesta also has auto lights, but never blinds anyone, it is very conservative of approaching traffic.

Auto start/ stop.  Another menace that the idiots at the EU stipulated that will get someone killed.  I bet 99% of people switch it off everytime they start the car. Nearly me once in the (auto) fiesta.  Forgot to switch it off and stopped at a junction.  Quite busy traffic needing a quick departure.

Engine stopped and I did not notice.

A gap appeared, floored go go pedal and by the time the engine started, the main pressure built up in the transmission and converter and enough for the brain to decide which clutch pack to select and engage, it was far too late.

Of course on a manual car, you put your foot on the clutch again if something is awry.  Nope, by the time I realised what had happened, the brains in engine and transmission reached an agreement and the soddin car took off like a scalded cat into the road.  I found myself looking up a truck drivers flared nostrils...

And civic again.  Adaptive cruise control.  Useful in 30mph zones, you do not have to keep glancing at the speedo.  You are approaching a parked car and a car approaching on the other side of the road.  You do the mental thing and judge the car will be well past the parked vehicle before you need to start pulling out.

BANG!  Brakes come on sharply and all manner of flashing lights on the dash lest you have fallen asleep at the wheel.

Or road calming chicanes.  You pull onto the other side of the road to pass one and there is a car parked 30 yards away on the side of the road.  Bang.  Nose pushed into steering wheel and admonishing amber lights giving you a rollocking on the dash.

Civic again.  Driving along and get the urge to scratch your backside.  You get five seconds before getting a rollocking from the dash telling you to put both your hands on the steering wheel.

Automatic wipers.. Wonder how many wiper blades have been torn to shreds on an icy morning by that "feature".

Civic.  To retract the door mirrors you would think you just lock the car.  You do in the fiesta.  Press lock on the fob and the door mirrors fold in.

Oh no.  On the civic you have to press the lock button twice and hold it down for a few seconds.

A bit dozy one rainy morning and one of the lads at work asked why all my windows were down... Apparently if you press and hold the unlock button, it helpfully puts all your windows down.

Civic.  Wet belt system cambelt.  130,000 mile / 6 year service means engine and transmission removing from the car to change the fecking thing as the designers helpfully put the belt at the rear of the engine.  £2000+ service bill.

Not that I worry about that.  As soon as the pcp agreement is finished, they can have the pile of crap back.  Im not keeping it.

Never ever thought I would ever find a ford fiesta to be an infinately better car in all respects than a honda civic.

Sounds terrible! Yep the style and the driving ergonomics put me off way before anything else considered... glad I didn't, but poor you...

thing is every generation gets bigger so the if you had a early civic really the jazz which is a smaller car is actually bigger than that old civic. Same with fords, if you had a few gens ago focus the fiesta now is bigger than that focus And the new focus is bigger than an earlier bm 5series family saloon.

One of the E36 3 serie i had - brill car😢, then replaced it with a newer car or 15 or more years difference being a fiat stilo hatchback on the outside was bigger than the bm four door saloon even with a bigger boot hanging off the back and engine way out front all the while it had more space inside.😅

Then got a panda which was almost as big as the stilo 🤔(a few cm here and there) but gladly narrower.

funny with the panda stop start (something I absolutely hate and cannot trust in any car) decided to have a funny turn twice that seemed to work ok but just something little which case it didnt bother to engage that stupid system when it would normally do if not turned off at every drive. Amusing thing is it never showed up any warning/lights/ ill behaviours afterwards it was bliss as it operated as a normal car....such a good well behaved underrated car.

Edited by RideWithStyles
Autocorrect

Ive never so much as sat behind the wheel of a car, let alone driven one. I did have a close call once. former boss (long deceased) was going to pay for me to have driving lessons but fortunately I got head hunted by a virgin and so had a lucky escape. story of my life.

• Like 1