Design/functions you love or hate

As tread states, this is open topic but ill start with motorbike related and the first will be....gloves! 🤩Wow i know such a head liner...i'm leaving that to the rest of you ☺️.

recently went out with the intention of glove shopping to replace my ancient but yet soooo good knox gloves i got back in 2009 😭.

Went to SBD in Preston which ive wanted to see since its just opened, to try some gloves on (before i order through TMBF LINK) cos ive got particular hand definitions... no not an extra finger before you say it...🙄.
what a wide range of cut all the gloves come in and i still didnt find the ones i wanted or found comfortable to buy that they stocked to try on.

I definitely need a shop to try before i bought anything.

anyway to the point- there was one particular feature (if you can call that) whats with the growing trend of putting lips/ridges all the way around the flatter part of the fingers (sown on the outside) on the fingers???? Like some mossy gecko or a sucka fish.

for example rst axis abd this is one of the smallest lips of them. IMG_1506.thumb.jpeg.7636b072ac7a282c56674b48e101bb85.jpeg

or a better pic of the trac evos, 

IMG_1507.thumb.jpeg.effdd38e28ea114a9abca0bce5064a42.jpeg

not particularly picking on rsts as other brands do it and to a extent much much worse. but they are highly annoying and just catch on every thing including the finger next to it as the fingers are slightly higher of lower of it next one which catches all the time!!! Grip a bar- catch finger 1,2,3,4, ungrip the bar-catch 4,3,2,1, go for the lever- catch 1,2,3,4, grip the lever-catch 4,3,2,1, release the lever- catch 1,2,3,4, re grip the bar again-catch 4,3,2,1....how infuriating unnecessary and annoying! I know their reasons for doing it (legitimately and propaganda) but for sure wont last long term with that happening to them.

My search for the holy gloves continues😭.

anyway rant over, whos next and about what?

• Like 1

I have a centre stand that seems to want to occupy the space where my left heel should be. Other than that, can't complain.

• Like 1

Regarding gloves...

Why manufacturers make expensive gloves but don't give a oot about the seems?

You spend a fortune in a decent pair of gloves and the damn seems keep rubbing and pressing  against your fingers.

Not ideal when you plan to do 8 hours riding 🤬

3 minutes ago, husoi said:

Regarding gloves...

You spend a fortune in a decent pair of gloves and the damn seems keep rubbing and pressing  against your fingers.

Mine don't 😂

1 hour ago, husoi said:

Regarding gloves...

Buy those f ing annoying ones they won't press the inside (apart from the thumb and pinky 😅

The reason is that its more material thats to be sacrificed for the road when sliding (surface area).

the material is not pulled so its not stressed as much through pulling and heat.

so not pulled to expose the threads to get damaged in a spill...

reason i know we have equipment similar to them that gets tested. Even though i know all that its still annoying and i know my old gloves worked well enough without that shite principle.

• Like 1

Design function I love....

My all season (I think) textile trousers have adjustments at the hip, as well as the front and thigh.

I appreciate this may be common, but what a difference being able to actually customise the fit, especially if like me, things can get a bit tight.

• Like 1

Sticking with gloves, I had a pair of gloves years ago with tiny plastic sliders on the palms. The reason being, your palms can grip on the tarmac when you come off and bend the arm into positions it shouldn't be in, but the sliders help you glide, and reduce risk of a broken arm. I thought it was a good idea when I bought them, but haven't really noticed them since I bought my previous pair all those years ago.

image.thumb.png.4689cbe18f67b24e909e6e9643b00714.png

The second thing, and something that I think should be on all gloves, is the bit of material connecting the little finger to the finger next to it, because your little finger is most likely to get caught and broken if you go down. 

Weirdly, when I was looking at new gloves the cheap pair priced at £20 had this feature, but none of the others did until you start looking at far more costly pairs. 

image.thumb.png.dc8c2b54db38cc0ff2c30093d6852ae8.png

• Like 2

I have two pairs of Alpinestars gloves, a pair of race gloves and a waterproof pair for touring. I've never really thought about it more than if they fit. In fact that goes for all of my gear to be honest. If it fits then I'm a happy chappy. 

A thing I love is the quickshifter on my bike. It's fun and brings a smile to my face when I use it. Nice pops and bangs from the Akrapovic exhaust too. I'm easily pleased 😀

Edited by rob m
Fannying about
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bender said:

Mine don't 😂

I've got at least 6 pairs of gloves and they are all comfortable and mostly with external seams so they don't chafe my fingers.

As for things I don't like - buttons and switches on bikes which are close together and when wearing gloves are too liable to be inadvertently operated. EG on the Guzzi the cruise control is right next to the full beam light switch. There's been a few folks thinking I'm flashing lights at them when all I'm doing is trying to set the cruise control. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, S-Westerly said:

As for things I don't like - buttons and switches on bikes which are close together and when wearing gloves are too liable to be inadvertently operated. EG on the Guzzi the cruise control is right next to the full beam light switch. There's been a few folks thinking I'm flashing lights at them when all I'm doing is trying to set the cruise control. 

I agree. my bike isn't busy by modern standards. the buttons and paddles are mostly naturally placed. aside from the horn. but as I never use the horn this doesn't really matter. But the newer version. when I first saw the cluster on the left side I laughed. I laughed. And where they put the headlamp control. The most unnatural position known to man. on top and set back. Obviously because being able to answer the phone is far more important. Obviously.

honda-africa-twin-1100-crf1100-review-specs-adventure-motorcycle-bike-dual-sport-enduro-1000-liter-27.jpg

s-l960.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Love quick shifters

Love adjustable reach brake / clutch levers

Love secure feeling of DD rings on the helmet strap

Love helmet chin curtains

Love that my jacket zips to my jeans

Dislike the inability to fasten DD rings whilst wearing gloves

Dislike mirror positioned to give you a great view of your arms and elbows

Dislike that almost all gloves have fingers too short for my excessively long fingers causing them to go tight when I grip anything

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gerontious said:

I agree. my bike isn't busy by modern standards. the buttons and paddles are mostly naturally placed. aside from the horn. but as I never use the horn this doesn't really matter. But the newer version. when I first saw the cluster on the left side I laughed. I laughed. And where they put the headlamp control. The most unnatural position known to man. on top and set back. Obviously because being able to answer the phone is far more important. Obviously.

honda-africa-twin-1100-crf1100-review-specs-adventure-motorcycle-bike-dual-sport-enduro-1000-liter-27.jpg

s-l960.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Is the star button the ejector seat option? For case of a impending crash or to get rid of nagging pillions?

10 hours ago, geofferz said:

I love that my bike does 100mph in first gear. 

I hate the 186 mph limiter. 

Had that with the Daytona....loved it this is fun and a good very fast road bike but had to rain it in sooo much as to tap into its potential as this is going to shred my license/prison time if im not really careful.

so it was quite frustrating really and in this day/age of cameras. 

Not really to do with design etc but something I really don't like - has anyone else noticed that brand specific forums (my recent experience limited to Ducati and Moto Guzzi) treat any perceived criticism as heresy? Ask a question that maybe interpreted as being critical of the brand and you invite a pile of abuse. Particularly noted this with the Guzzi to a ridiculous extent and that's a subscription site. Needless to say I won't be renewing!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Had that with the Daytona....loved it this is fun and a good very fast road bike but had to rain it in sooo much as to tap into its potential as this is going to shred my license/prison time if im not really careful.

so it was quite frustrating really and in this day/age of cameras. 

I know it's a ballache. I'm gonna do some more trackdays this year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Not really to do with design etc but something I really don't like - has anyone else noticed that brand specific forums (my recent experience limited to Ducati and Moto Guzzi) treat any perceived criticism as heresy? Ask a question that maybe interpreted as being critical of the brand and you invite a pile of abuse. Particularly noted this with the Guzzi to a ridiculous extent and that's a subscription site. Needless to say I won't be renewing!

Yes i have to agree unfortunately, for me it was more to a car brand.
A MOD ( who also helped out the forum in the early days from memory) got banned then after a while (months) they booted me. well what he said and did/didnt do was all above board and nothing untoward, words confirmed by the other mods i chatted too prior to him being banished.

we would chat often before the problem anyway when you just get on with someone, we didnt even talk about it really- infact it was a few sentences of a conversation of which he brought up, we laughed about it and left it at that.

I never brought it up on the treads just left it at that. Still posted up stuff just like normal.

I would chat to him time to time about ANYTHING other than the reason he wasnt on the forum cos we didnt have any agenda or chips on our shoulders.
we still had a few ideas from continuing projects we wanted to try out with the brand of vehicles we had at the time just because we just wanted to know what did/didnt work, why, to no benefit of bragging or money to be envolved.

the information we had would be shared with the lads and lasses who if they wanted to could discuss, disregard or try it out themselves on the forum for the all to benefit afterwards so it was productive all the same.

then all of a sudden dropped kicked out of the forum without any discussion of what or why...

i found out later on from a fellow member/mod that "They 🤔" came to some strange conclusion that i was a spymaster and i was trying to trash, disrespect, disregard the forum cos i simply talked to an ex member/MOD etc within my own time outside of their platform and whatever dribbling and bubbling other things they got told, which even their eyes started to glaze over 🙄.

P.S before i forget, Great forum Stu and well done to the MODS 👍🏽 (moneys in the post 😅).

Edited by RideWithStyles
Checker
  • Like 2

Yeah i must say im not a fan of the bridging of fingers on the pinky and ring fingers...racing/track days maybe partly tolerable but on the roads near me no chance they'd get sniped.