Design/functions you love or hate

34 minutes ago, Joe85 said:

Why bike manufacturers insist on sculpting beautiful bikes and then piss on everyone's chips by fitting fugly stock mirrors.

I'd guess two elements are at play.

1) Homologation, construction and use rules maybe dictate no sharp edges, minimum viewing angle coverage etc, etc which maybe dictate bland and boring (ugly) designs?

2) Gives the opportunity to make profit selling upgrades?

But I fully agree. The current licence plate position mandates have created a big business in tail tidies - I mean look at this....

image.thumb.png.211ad65cfdc4f0d283bf9cf92beb91d5.png

Edited by Interference Fit
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Interference Fit said:

1) Homologation, construction and use rules maybe dictate no sharp edges, minimum viewing angle coverage etc, etc which maybe dictate bland and boring (ugly) designs?

But I fully agree. The current licence plate position mandates have created a big business in tail tidies - I mean look at this....

yes it looks crap

The constant notifications on my phone.

Why do I have to know that I have spent some money 20 seconds after I completed the transaction? 🤬

Not to mention all the other notifications I get during the day with shaite emails.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, husoi said:

Why do I have to know that I have spent some money 20 seconds after I completed the transaction? 🤬

I second this, and to make it worse, it's a transaction completed on the actual phone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Interference Fit said:

Yep  agree but to my thinking why not just design a nice looking full size seat (including pillion) and wheel arch like they did back in the day!

IMG_1518.thumb.png.fdbec8b1c2bf928df9fa831d356673c1.png

Even an the American managed some how with this ugly duck.

IMG_1519.jpeg.04aa6f4574428f2a1aba9e7e8e689cc3.jpeg

I mean they still do it for 125s ffs and who's really take someone on the back unless its 3rd world country stull (stereotypical) gonna do that? !!

IMG_1517.jpeg.8e4ce54c3b4f4e8add5f439a93846c65.jpeg

Omg i sound old.

• Like 1

Self-checkout!!!!!!!!!!

Monday, I went shopping at nearest Sainsbury.

When I went to pay all counters were empty and only available the self-checkouts 🤬

So, I told the lady near the self-checkouts to get my basket and put the items back because "I'm not doing your job!" 

As principle I don't like people to do my job. So, I absolutely refuse to do others' work.

Plus, I'm not covered by their insurance if something goes wrong.

Pay people decent salaries and stop exploiting the ones who pay the money to be served.

There is a reason why I don't do buffet restaurants. If I'm paying to eat out, I want the entire service. :up::up:

Edited by husoi
  • Haha 1

I absolutely despise tyre valves that require you to have hands the size of a 5yr old to check your tyre pressures!  Why manufacturers don't consider this to be a problem when they design the bikes god only knows!

Edited by manxie49
spelling
  • Like 3

Bikes with no proper rear mudguard which means mud and shite plastered everywhere. A decent rear hugger / mudguard could be combined with a number plate holder. Rarely see one as stock.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Joe85 said:

Why bike manufacturers insist on sculpting beautiful bikes and then piss on everyone's chips by fitting fugly stock mirrors.

And brake fluid reservoirs.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Interference Fit said:

That is utterly ridiculous. I reckon you could fill a landfill site with disposed of stock license plate holders.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, husoi said:

Self-checkout!!!!!!!!!!

Monday, I went shopping at nearest Sainsbury.

When I went to pay all counters were empty and only available the self-checkouts 🤬

So, I told the lady near the self-checkouts to get my basket and put the items back because "I'm not doing your job!" 

As principle I don't like people to do my job. So, I absolutely refuse to do others' work.

Plus, I'm not covered by their insurance if something goes wrong.

Pay people decent salaries and stop exploiting the ones who pay the money to be served.

There is a reason why I don't do buffet restaurants. If I'm paying to eat out, I want the entire service. :up::up:

I had to call someone across to approve me to buy alcohol free beer at the bloody self check out today … what’s that all about?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

I dislike cars that don't have a temperature gauge. Being able to see the coolant temperature is essential in my book. 

By the time a warning light shows its usually too late. 

My wife's Skoda Citigo has a detachable screen that can be used as a sat nav or to display various sensors. It's a handy way of doing it. 

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

I know but It still contains a fraction amount...by law they have too. 🫤

I don’t think that is actually correct. I think that it is the manufacturers themselves that encourage this. They want the experience of buying a zero alcohol product to be as similar as possible to buying the traditional version. Including age verification.

• Confused 1

Manufacturers who sell a “comfort seat” as an upgrade. Just make the original comfortable, for crying out loud.

Lack of easily accessible storage for (for instance) toll tickets / credit card/Mars bar . My ST1100 had a neat little cubby hole suitable for just this (see photo)

High level exhausts making one pannier smaller than the other to accommodate the end can.

IMG_0486.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Steve_M said:

Lack of easily accessible storage for (for instance) toll tickets / credit card/Mars bar . My ST1100 had a neat little cubby hole suitable for just this

I remember getting my first bike with a fairing and wondering if I could cut a hole in the fairing somehow to add one. It just makes sense, yet the ST is the only bike I've seen it on. Other touring bikes might have it too, but why not sports bikes?

• Like 1

On 26/01/2024 at 21:40, RideWithStyles said:

I know but It still contains a fraction amount...by law they have too. 🫤

I’m not sure about that, if that were true then if certain religious groups believed that would not be able to drink it, which they do 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Mickly

23 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

So how do you feel about the ones without a dipstick, it "self checks" and at the mercy of the technological revolution of cost cutting of that.

I would never buy a car without some means of physically checking the oil level. 

And I do frequent oil changes using a pump that uses the dipstick tube so it's kind of essential.  

Plus I suspect the cars without dipsticks tend to at the more expensive end of the market whereas I'm at the rent-a-wreck side of things.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I would never buy a car without some means of physically checking the oil level. 

And I do frequent oil changes using a pump that uses the dipstick tube so it's kind of essential.  

Plus I suspect the cars without dipsticks tend to at the more expensive end of the market whereas I'm at the rent-a-wreck side of things.

Unless you buy an EV then there is no oil to check :thumb:

Nor really sure which way this should go.

Either toasters that are too small for the loaf or the idiots in the supermarket who should know the size of the toaster and make the phoking bread in a way that fits inside 😡😡

• Like 2