Likelyhood of problems with the plod...?

Phil1

Bike is currently SORN/untaxed, uninsured and hasn't got an MOT. 

I'm wanting to get out on it this year so need to hatch a plan to get it back road legal. Insurance is obviously no issue and can be done at any time. 

Tax can't be done till it's got a valid MOT. 

MOT for me is a bit of a pain as the place I've always gone to, and trust, doesn't open Saturdays anymore.

The plan is, is to ride it to work in the (early)  morning ( the dodgy bit) and then take it for it's pre-booked mot from there in the afternoon on my way home and tax it while I'm there online. 

What's the likelyhood of having any issues in the morning? 

You can ride a bike as long as it has insurance to a pre arranged MOT station then tax it when it passes, but if you get pulled as you say on the way to work you are on a sticky wicket and plod may think you are taking the piss and nick you.

You are supposed to take the most direct route to the MOT station and thats it! 

I would find another tester thats open on a Saturday 

Chances slim, sods law highly likely.

I'm no good on this subject, I drove a van with no MOT 300 miles to the MOT station, I did take the most direct route though 🤔

• Haha 3

A couple of years back I forgot to MOT my CBF, it was after they extended the MOT during covid and it threw me . 

So in April I remembered the MOT had expired in November.  I'd been riding it daily and not been pulled.

But if plod does pull you then riding it to work in the morning with the MOT booked for the afternoon and you're in deep doo doo. 

2 minutes ago, Bender said:

Chances slim, sods law highly likely.

My naughty mot story:

I Inherited an old car. Needing MOT, tax, insurance.  Didn't bother with insurance at time as I reasoned if it failed mot then likely wasn't worth the cost to get it up and running and would be scrapping. My local garage is less than 3/4 mile from my house so I figured sod it I'll just take it.

A few hours later I get a phone call to say not only has it not passed but the handbrake had failed while parked up and it had rolled into a customers land rover :shock:

I told him I will pay whatever it would cost to get it sorted, shitting myself at thought of owner wanting to go through insurance. Thankfully the bodywork guy got it sorted and miraculously I wasn't charged, I think it was more scuffed paintwork than real damage.

So the moral of the story is always keep your dodgy uninsured vehicle in gear when parked :thumb:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It’s a risk. But the only way a copper will pull you is if you have a cop car behind you. And the ANPR flags you up. Other than that a mobile roadside ANPR camera spots you. (Unlikely at an early hour) and be careful not to have an accident!! 

if it was me then I would do what you’re planning.  But then I’m a risk taker and sometimes - needs must.

All I'll add is if you know a quiet route into work using back roads, use it, and even then don't do anything to attract attention to yourself. The police generally only patrol main roads, same with mobile roadside ANPR camera or random pull over check locations. You'd be incredibly unlucky if you came across any of these on a country lane or through a housing estate.

Edited by Capt Sisko

Basically you are playing a game of chance. Do you feel lucky punk? 😲

Do you live in a built up area and pass a police station on a ten mile trip to work in rush hour passing through multiple cameras?

Or is it 5 miles in the country where you don't see anyone from hour to hour ?

Even with insurance I'm pretty sure it would be invalidated in the event of an accident. I don't mind a risk but I like the odds stacked in my favour. If l was you I'd have a word with my boss and take a couple of hours off or take a half day holiday. Or have a dentist appointment if you must, as long as you are ok lying.

I rode my V Strom for 6 months, including a trip to the TT, without a valid MOT … we only realised because my grandson did a dvla check using his phone to test the software …. Oops 

Edited by Trooper74
Outcyrcutvut
  • Haha 2

It's in the middle of Dewsbury. It's riddled with anpr cameras, and drive past a police station. That said I probably see an anpr equipped traffic/panda car once every 6 months. I'll be honest I think I'd struggle to make the journey without passing a lamppost mounted anpr camera 🤣

6 hours ago, Phil1 said:

It's in the middle of Dewsbury. It's riddled with anpr cameras, and drive past a police station. That said I probably see an anpr equipped traffic/panda car once every 6 months. I'll be honest I think I'd struggle to make the journey without passing a lamppost mounted anpr camera 🤣

Ah.  Aldhams road.  Yup, riddled with cameras from the JFK up to wakefield road. California MOT in heckmondwike always did saturday morning bike mots.

Edited by Tinkicker

3 hours ago, Tinkicker said:

Ah.  Aldhams road.  Yup, riddled with cameras from the JFK up to wakefield road. California MOT in heckmondwike always did saturday morning bike mots.

That's exactly where I go, but they don't work Saturdays anymore, hence the problem. 

I start work early (6am) so starting later isn't really viable as it wouldn't be worth going in by the time cali opens. 

I think I'll just have to book a half day and work in the morning and take it straight from home in the afternoon. I'll still need to call for fuel though, but surely that can't be an issue in terms of the rozzers, and it'll be on the way. 

• Like 4