Your Opinion On Henry Cole?

RichRuk

I wonder what all you guys think of Henry Cole, some say he's Marmite. Some say he's just an annoying posh boy who knows naff all about restoring motorbikes, although admittedly he does know how to talk about them and ride them.

Personally I like the guy, I have met him a few times in real life and he seems like a decent guy, but it does annoy me a little when Sam, Allan and Skid do all the work whilst the TV guy gets all the praise.

Without the team of craftsmen he has around him do you think he would be as successful?

I'm not bashing him, I really like him, I just think the others should get more recognition for the amazing restorations that they do and not make Shed and Buried about the showman, rather the restorations..

Just me? OK then!

0.0.jpg

I quite like the few shows he's on.

The motorbike show is quite good and shows some newish bikes (Although several years old episodes) and nice places to go.

The other show he's on "find it, fix it and flog it.

Is interesting the ideas they have and how silly they can be🙂

9 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

I quite like the Motorbike Show! .. For me, Alan Millyard is the star!

Yes indeed, any bike can have a V8 2.0L installed. 

• Like 1

He loves his metaphors and calls everyone ‘mate’ but other than that he’s pretty harmless. 

My respect for him went up massively after watching the Sarajevo episode of his motorcycle tours series. Being a young cameraman during the Balkan wars was tough for him evidentially.

In contrast, I could name at least a dozen YouTubers who really get on on my tits.

• Like 2

It's the TV show style that I hate. Coming up. After the break. Next Time. I find that and the general dumbing down style very patronising. Henry Cole has mastered it to the point it puts me off watching anything he does.

I also equally agree with rob m, many YouTubers are equally annoying but for different reasons.

Edited by Capt Sisko
  • Like 4

I like the programmes he does if it wasnt for him there would be no motorcycle programmes on the tv. I would like to see more of the skills of Alan Sam and Skid though.

• Like 3

Never met the boy so I only have an opinion of some of his TV shows. Like Capt Sisko says his shows are very formulaic. Kind of dumbed down to a target audience ? Maybe.  I got bored after a few series and rarely catch the Motor Bike Show nowadays.  I prefer watching Alan Millyard on You Tube.

Does anyone remember the dodgy restorer on some of the earlier shows ?  Forget his name, but he turned out to be a real rascal and ended up in the jail.

And what's with the laddish accent ?   I'm sure he never spoke like that when he was at Eton.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Tinkicker said:

T**t.

Ha haar.. you're just jealous cos he has more tin cans in his collection than you..😉

He's alright really I've got nothing against him, he's done more to promote motorcycling on the tv than anyone else in this country. Yes some bits are a bit cheesy but as my wife says, it is what it is. 😜

• Like 2

I don’t mind him. I enjoy the Motorbike Show. It is what got me back into biking. I was watching one day and thought “why don’t I get a bike again?” … couldn’t think why not really. And within a few weeks I had bought a bike. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Nick the wanderer said:

Ha haar.. you're just jealous cos he has more tin cans in his collection than you..😉

He's alright really I've got nothing against him, he's done more to promote motorcycling on the tv than anyone else in this country. Yes some bits are a bit cheesy but as my wife says, it is what it is. 😜

Its not him, he is quite a likeable bloke, even if a bit silly. Its the entire ethos of his show format.

It has resulted in his casual viewers thinking "hmm i have a 30 year old Honda Chally step thru in the shed, must be worth a bomb".

Said pile of rusty scrap metal gets pulled out, a new chinesium carb fitted, fresh fuel poured into the internally rusted tank and engine started up.

A bit of duplicolour paint sprayed over the top of the rust and new handlebar grips fitted.

It appears on ebay as " fully restored and a great runner. £2500, no lowball offers, I know what I got".

Silly shows like Coles have had a very detrimental effect on the old bike market, it raises peoples expectations far higher than they should be, all in the name of a scripted TV show where buyers are flocking to buy that old piece of tat at a huge profit.

Now he has ravaged the old bike market, and the petrol can market 😉, he is now suddenly an expert on classic cars.

Edited by Tinkicker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I blame the Wombles, it was them that started collecting the rubbish.

There are loads of those do it up and sell it on shows though, from houses and cars to stuff from the tip. If folk are dumb enough to pay for it more fool them.

Aside from there being only so many old bikes around I'd be more inclined to blame the internet, it's just so easy to get your bike advertised to a far wider audience now.

• Like 3

Would not know.  Not willing to pay for a TV licence, I only watch youtube, netflix and prime really.  ITVX at a push.

When I did have a licence, I used to enjoy a similar show called the restoration man which was about converting old buildings into homes, but that did not oversimplify the process.  They never came in on time and on budget.  A honest show.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Some of Henty Coles shows are about people who, to my mind, are hoarders.  And was there not a series of TV shows about hoarders who were classified as suffering from some sort of mental instability ?

The difference between Henry Coles hoarders and the fruit cakes was that one lot had acres of space to pollute and the other lot were just slowly destroying a nice semi-detached in Swindon.

Well I know what you’re saying but I think I disagree. If you want to watch Allen Millyard at work then that is well catered for on his YouTube channel. I think the balance is about right for a tv show. Which needs to appeal to a broader demographic.