Module 2 - members test experiences

Guys I discussed with my instructor and to be honest, i'm looking at the GSXR600's first couple of weeks leave it in baby mode (C engine mode). Id rather just take it easy on this then get a bike i dont fancy only to change a few months down the line. 

Going to sort some gear out first , no rush for the bike (though i'm itching to get back on) 

Was thinking about leathers - but various experience heads told me to stick to material/kevlar first and if i start getting down the track invest in leathers.

Helmet , gloves , jacket - recommendations would be lovely!

looking at the Scorpion R1 helmet 

gloves and jacket fairly clueless at the minute 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CaptainB said:

Guys I discussed with my instructor and to be honest, i'm looking at the GSXR600's first couple of weeks leave it in baby mode (C engine mode). Id rather just take it easy on this then get a bike i dont fancy only to change a few months down the line. 

Going to sort some gear out first , no rush for the bike (though i'm itching to get back on) 

Was thinking about leathers - but various experience heads told me to stick to material/kevlar first and if i start getting down the track invest in leathers.

Helmet , gloves , jacket - recommendations would be lovely!

looking at the Scorpion R1 helmet 

gloves and jacket fairly clueless at the minute 

my first bike was a ZX6R so as with anything just take it easy and don't get sucked in to going over your comfort zone! if you can go somewhere to try stuff on that's always good and remember you'll be hunched over slightly so make sure you feel you've got good movement. look forward to the pics when you get it! 

22 hours ago, CaptainB said:

Hi Guys,

Ive just done the Mod 2 today at 11am , Passed first time! 0 minors would you believe... I counted 3/4 errors he could of possibly marked me down. Got back to the test centre parked up and he said Congratulations! you've passed not an error made. Happy with your positioning, speed and control of the bike but also just general awareness. I was ecstatic.

Delighted ive done it.

Now to look at some gear and keep an eye out for bikes on the market 

Any tips to look out for I've got mine coming up ? Well done for passing 

27 minutes ago, Blackholesun said:

Most important without a doubt is your shoulder checks , whether it's taking off at the traffic lights, leaving roundabouts, turns. pretty much anything that moves your position on the road remember your shoulder checks. every 20/30 seconds i made it a thing to look at my mirrors. Drive to the speed limit. Follow the highway code. Don't be nervous and forget that the examiner is there. My examiner real friendly bloke so maybe i got lucky there , but then saying that nice examiner also for mod 1. Find your weak points after a day or two of training and then just focus on them

On 14/08/2021 at 13:45, Blackholesun said:

I passed my mod 2 about a month ago. I read most of the experiences here and they simultaneously filled me with hope and fear !! Some said it was easy just ride it will be fine and others seemed to have a nightmare and git pulled up for missing one check or road position being slightly out of loads of other little things and I would start to panic thinking I'm never going to get all that right.

The best advice is the most repeated here. Ride as you would ride ( you may be nervous at first but I found that went because I was so focused on my riding) forget about the examiner except when he gives you instructions. If you think you messed up forget about it and focus on the rest of the test ( most of the time you haven't my mucked up as bad as you think or the instructor may not have seen). Make sure you do those shoulder checks and once you have made a turn give those indicators 2 or 3 pushes to make sure off.

Remember they are not looking for perfection they want to see that you are confident, in control and ride safely.

If your training has been of a good level you should sail through. Once I was riding it just all came together I only felt like I was out for 10 minutes and it was over.

Good luck !!!

Edited by Spongefinger
  • Like 1

Failed my mod 2 earlier today in mitcham London...🙁🙁

2 serious faults one being I was positioned on the left on one way street whilst making a right turn ( I hadn't realised it was a 1 way street as I turned into left into it )

Other one was a failure to do a left lifesaver when changing lines...can't argue with that one tbh ...

Never been to that area before and after yesterday and today arm shoulders and wrists are killing !

Other student also failed somewhat harshly going 20 in a 30 zone as missed the sign change to go from 20 to 30....

Did it on a Kawasaki z650 which I didn't like as much as the mt07 that I did my mod 1 on.

Having a few days off now to regroup 🙁

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear that. When I was doing my DAS I was on a CB650R and the other person was on the Z650. We swapped bikes at the end of the second day just to see what the 'other' bike was like and it put me off the Z650. Quite a lot of vibrations which the silky 4 pot didn't have.

Did the training company give you a ride around the area before the test? They normally do this on at least one of the possible routes the test centre uses. 

You won't always be riding familiar roads, so paying attention to the small details are to bits that make a difference. 

17 minutes ago, Blackholesun said:

Other student also failed somewhat harshly going 20 in a 30 zone as missed the sign change to go from 20 to 30....

OK, I'm an old fart and never had to go through any of this Mod 1, Mod 2, CBT crap when I started, but I am very surprised that they can "fail" for riding at less than the permitted maximum speed limit.

In my mind limits are exactly that, the MAXIMUM speed allowed, not a compulsory speed that you have to travel at.

14 minutes ago, Yorky said:

OK, I'm an old fart and never had to go through any of this Mod 1, Mod 2, CBT crap when I started, but I am very surprised that they can "fail" for riding at less than the permitted maximum speed limit.

In my mind limits are exactly that, the MAXIMUM speed allowed, not a compulsory speed that you have to travel at.

its a tough one, I don't think its 100% going too slow per se but a mix of undue hesitation showing you're not confident mixed with bad observations of speed limit changes (or at least that's vaguely what i remember being told by my instructor!) 

on my test I was doing about 25 in a residential 30 but as I did speed up slightly out of the 20 showing I saw the sign and there were loads of cars and stuff the instructor said it was fine

11 minutes ago, Yorky said:

If they thought the speed limit was 20mph they will have kept under that (maybe speedo indicates 19mph) and their actual speed may have only been 17mph. .. " not responding in a timely way, to speed limit signs and other Highway Code issues".

1 hour ago, KiwiBob said:

" not responding in a timely way, to speed limit signs and other Highway Code issues".

Well I would say that could be used if they didn't slow down from 30 to 20 but NOT Vice Versa.

They could argue that the traffic was too dense, dozy looking pedestrians or any other number of reasons why they didn't speed up.

I think the point is to demonstrate that you are aware there has been a change in speed limits and that you aren't bumbling along with mind in neutral. Many eons ago when I took my driving test I was told to proceed at the speed limit when it was safe to do so. Don't think it's changed. Although with all the idiot car drivers in lane 1 on a motorway going at 50 mph maybe it has.

4 hours ago, Yorky said:

Well I would say that could be used if they didn't slow down from 30 to 20 but NOT Vice Versa.

They could argue that the traffic was too dense, dozy looking pedestrians or any other number of reasons why they didn't speed up.

They can argue whatever they like but the examiners aren't stupid .. 

What does anyone think I should do...have the chance to rebook mod 2 with same school same bike for £300 but I wasn't as keen or comfortable on the z650 as I was the mt 07 that I did my mod 1 on... but the mt07 school as £600 as need to do 2 days as I don't fail with them .. failing is so expensive!

Edited by Blackholesun

1 hour ago, Blackholesun said:

What does anyone think I should do...have the chance to rebook mod 2 with same school same bike for £300 but I wasn't as keen or comfortable on the z650 as I was the mt 07 that I did my mod 1 on... but the mt07 school as £600 as need to do 2 days as I don't fail with them .. failing is so expensive!

Neither of the mistakes were down to the bike, I would go with the same, that gives you 2 goes compared to the other. 

• Like 1

On 24/08/2021 at 10:45, Blackholesun said:

Is £300 just to redo the test or for extra training as well ? The school I went with its £375 for 8 hours of training (2x4hr) including the time to get to and do the test.

Edited by Spongefinger