Nob of the Day.......

Tango

its been well talked about on here do a search

undertaking is not illegal :wink:

Stu.

Are you desensitized to it all now?

As in, do you see some acts that would make my jaw drop and just shrug? Always wondered how drivers like yourself keep your cool.

I can imagine traffic not being too stressful as you are being paid to do what you're doing either way.

Just wonder what the perspective is from someone who drives for a living!

NOTD goes to me today. I dropped my bike this morning. oh wait it gets worse my helmet was on top of my tank and went flying down the road. Smashed visor and scratched through the carbon fiber to reveal the polystyrene. No bike ride in for me and an expensive lunch time trip to my local bike shop to get a new one. not what I need right at the end of the month.

Tell me about it Jin,

it was one of those infuriating moments and it is worse because I only have my self to blame. I was in a hurry and was trying to put my rucksack on at the same time as hoping on the bike. really regret that now haha. next time getting up 5 mins earlier is definitely the way to go.

Ahh don't beat yourself up about it.. We have all done something like it..

I sat on my bike, took the side stand up, realised I had to get off the bike for something and went to put it back down on the (Now stowed) sidestand.. Thump goes me and bike!

Hopefully you can get a beautiful new helmet and just treat this as a unexpected upgrade day :D

NOTD is the ar*ehole in the BMW (yes, he fitted the stereotype) who didn't like me filtering in front of him at the head of a queue of traffic at a red traffic light. Beeping at me, shouting insults out of the window, flashing his headlights at me. Naturally, I casually gave him the middle digit. When the lights changed he floored it to try and undertake me ... well, that did make me chuckle!

Goes to the pillock in the 4X4 that straight lined the island and nearly took my front wheel off. On the other hand the ABS seems to work :shock:

NOTD on a scooter, I went out for a short run around the city to warm the engine up before adjusting the carb and the silly sod kept trying to undertake me then pull in in front every time we were stationary, only to be overtaken by me and left standing as soon as the lights changed... and then he'd catch up at the next red and do it again :roll:

Today I had a good blast to bournemouth from southampton, and NOTD goes to the weekend warrior riding an R1 like an organ donor. He overtook me as i hung back behind an hgv as we were approaching a busy junction, then he overtook the hgv through the junction, then overtook a van up ahead on a blind bend with a double solid white line. Now, I like to "make progress", but there's a time and place ...

When the lights changed he floored it to try and undertake me ... well, that did make me chuckle!

I had a BMW play that game a couple of months ago on the Dual Carriage way on the way out of Southampton. Once I got to 50 I had the right hand lane he raced of in the inside lane...

He obviously did not know the area or was a true NOTD He was doing a fair bit above 50 as he went through...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.92038 ... 56!6m1!1e1

I would swear I saw it flash but thought forward facing cameras could not???

Legendary bit of road..

When I was in school in Southampton there was a lad who used to boast about doing "a ton-ten over Totton flyover" on his rgv125.

That phrase stuck with me and all my mates (and a few may have actually done it... ;) )

I bet he felt a right nob when that bike inevitably hot seized! I know I did :lol:

You could often count on your hands how many top speed runs you got from a 125 2-stroke that could push a ton before it let go. Or in my friend circles anyway!

The Suzuki rg125 was a proper beauty though. Shame they're becoming collectors items now!

• 2 weeks later...

NOTD goes to the foreign lorry driver.

To set the scene I'm in the left lane of a dual carriage way a mini is roughly 70m ahead of me. To the left of the mini is a lay by with a lorry which is approaching to join the dual carriage way again so I move over to allow him space the mini however is now level with the lorry where it joins with the trailer, and the lorry just pulls out causing the mini to slam its brakes on and swerve right into my path so at this point I'm as hard on the brakes as I can be thinking ohhhh shit I'm gonna hit this car, luckily I stopped with maybe 10cm to spare! Scary one, glad my brakes work but didn't want to test them like that!!!

Traffic pulling out gives way to the carriageway I believe. So while etiquette says mini should of moved sooner, the lorry sounds a knob for not checking the road was clear for him.

The lorry pulled straight into the path of the mini, so I'm assuming it was in the lorries blind spot and with it being LHD the driver simply didn't see. A car had just past the mini as all this happened so it couldn't have moved until it did, wish I had a dash cam to show you it was frighteningly close.. Just glad there wasn't someone behind me.

NOTD goes to one of my colleagues where I'm doing (thankfully temporary) work.

Me: "Please can you look this up on Google Maps for me and tell me where it is exactly?" (I thrust sheet of paper into her hand).

Her: "What do you mean?"

Me: "Please put this location in to Google Maps and tell me where it is".

Her: "What's Goo-ga-mapa?"

Me: "G-o-o-g-l-e M-a-p-s. You've seen a computer before, haven't you?"

Her: "No, I never heard of that".

Me: :scratch:

The lorry pulled straight into the path of the mini, so I'm assuming it was in the lorries blind spot and with it being LHD the driver simply didn't see. A car had just past the mini as all this happened so it couldn't have moved until it did, wish I had a dash cam to show you it was frighteningly close.. Just glad there wasn't someone behind me.

However, (and please take this as friendly advice and not 'a dig') you stated that you were well aware that the lorry was looking to pull out (you had moved over in anticipation), yet you did not consider that the lorry driver may not have spotted the mini (or had assumed that it would also move over) and that, worst case, the lorry hits the mini forcing a damaged car into you immediate path! Although the Lorry (and to a certain extent - the mini) are at fault, you too have a responsibility to be aware and reduce the hazard (i.e. slow down and be prepared to stop). even if the fault is definitely someone elses, you need to be aware that everyone out there is trying to kill you and be prepared to take avoiding action.

Well done for surviving this one :thumb: but please be wary of any more instances of this type of thing happening - it is much too common!

:cheers: