IAM Experience

On 08/10/2022 at 20:55, dar1976 said:

Dragging up an old thread maybe, but struggling to find one I can shoehorn myself into.  

I’m doing a taster session tomorrow morning in Wiltshire with the local IAM group with a view to taking a course next year.  Hopefully I will iron out enough newbie habits to get me to a point where I can take the test and get a good result.  Unfortunately I’m only at home at the weekends, so practicing between sessions may cause me an issue.   Don’t get me wrong - I’m looking forward to the session, I just don’t know if I’ll have the time needed to improve over the 12 months.   (Though I may have jumped in the deep end a bit as I’m booked on a group ride round the NC500 in July 😳 - my first holiday in about 15 years).  

On a side note, I looked at joining my local blood bikers group - they said I’d need an advanced qualification to be a rider / driver.  Then I got bogged down by all the politics (that’s me being diplomatic) in my local group whilst training as a controller (sorry dispatcher - they don’t like being ‘controlled’ 🤔) and decided it wasn’t for me.  /rant

Hey there!!

I started my iAM course Saturday, didn't even do the taster session just went head first (like with most things) and it was definitely an eye opener but in a good way. It was broken up into small stages as it was the chief observer (had two people, chief and a newly qualified observer who was getting an understanding of what to do) checking how I ride so they can assign a permeant one;

• meet for coffee then ride for half hour 
  • stop for coffee and discuss what I did or didn't do then follow for half an hour 
  • pull up on the side of the road and swap so I can show what I learnt whilst riding back to the start point for, yes you've guessed it, another coffee and debrief

I rode for about two hours collectively, no coms just mirrors watching for early signals from the observer behind me which helps in reminding you to do your checks. I enjoyed it, learnt a lot but I wasn't afraid to speak up when they asked why I did something like sitting in gear at traffic lights - as they were about to turn green and I know the sequence why would I put it in neutral to save two seconds of grip.

I only passed my full licence in April this year and decided I just want to be a bit safer on the roads (at 5'2 I need all the help I can get as people do disregard me). I can only do weekend riding thanks to my job and the time between observed rides allows for that, it all comes down to availability and how much you put into it, you could be brilliant from the off and it only take a few sessions not 12 months - you'll never know till you try and you have the advantage of recently passing too!

As a female I do find it a bit blokey but I'm not easily put off by that, I stand my ground and I'm not afraid to ask questions or voice my opinion.

Go and enjoy, can't have too much knowledge when it comes to biking! 😊

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, cloughie24 said:

Go and enjoy, can't have too much knowledge when it comes to biking! 😊

I totally agree with what you say there, we learn something every time we get on the bike, all learning is good learning.  One of the best courses I did for building skill and confidence was a slow a riding / manoeuvring course.  The bike was never out of 1st gear and it really built confidence for moving the bike around in confined spaces, it's an acquired skill, I've seen loads of riders drop their bikes slow manoeuvring over the years, I even did it myself once.  We learn from our mistakes though 👍

• Like 3

Thanks both for your replies.  The ride went well.  I have bits to polish up, as expected.  I’m just waiting to find out if there are any rugged observers for over the winter or whether I wait till the new year to join up.   It was much less stressful than I’d imagined and I think I will enjoy the process.  Stay safe and shiny side up ⬆️ 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cloughie24 said:

they asked why I did something like sitting in gear at traffic lights - as they were about to turn green and I know the sequence why would I put it in neutral to save two seconds of grip.

I sit in gear until I am confident, I don't get hit from behind. Being in gear and alert of your surroundings gives you that chance to move out quickly if someone is not paying attention or on their phone as they rock up to the lights and don't see you.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pie man said:

I sit in gear until I am confident, I don't get hit from behind. Being in gear and alert of your surroundings gives you that chance to move out quickly if someone is not paying attention or on their phone as they rock up to the lights and don't see you.  

I agree, but I there is a school of thought that believes being in neutral is safer. They call it the Hendon Shuffle.

Reading books like Roadcraft are helpful but without someone actually seeing if you are doing what you think you are doing you could just be reinforcing bad habits.  One of the reason I stayed on to become an observer after taking the IAM test  was I saw it as a way of continuing to maintain or improve my own roadcraft.  Motorcyclists are still having the same accidents as when I started riding in the 70s.  The same as my father back in the 50s.   If it is always someone else who is to blame  we don't learn, once we accept that in every incident we played a part and how way play can alter the result.  I spent some time talking to local bike groups and asked other rider about their experiences. Often someone would say to me that someone came out of a junction a typical SMIDY I ask did you see them.  Interestingly the general reply is yes I saw them look at me. So if you saw them why didn't you change your speed and or course  to reduce the risk of a collision. often the reply is "Well I had right of way" or "but they looked at me" either way the rider was depending on someone else to look after their safety.  There are and will always be instances where the rider has little to no chance of changing the event  but there are a great deal more that could be avoided if the rider gave just a little more consideration to self preservation rather than self entitlement.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

I agree, but I there is a school of thought that believes being in neutral is safer. They call it the Hendon Shuffle.

Can't say I fancy being rear-ended in neutral. Get sent skittering into traffic with no control isn't going to end well. At least if I'm in gear I can have at least some control over my fate. Although to be fair by the time I realise the pillock behind isn't going to stop its probably too late to do anything other than kiss my ass goodbye. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, S-Westerly said:

Can't say I fancy being rear-ended in neutral. Get sent skittering into traffic with no control isn't going to end well. At least if I'm in gear I can have at least some control over my fate. Although to be fair by the time I realise the pillock behind isn't going to stop its probably too late to do anything other than kiss my ass goodbye. 

It was something I saw on a YouTube video. Apparently,  you could get hit, dump the clutch involuntarily,  grip the throttle and go flying.  Or something.

I'm with you though.  Leave it in gear, keep an eye on the mirror and have an escape route ready. Plenty of space in front as well.

37 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Why bother with shuffle ?

It is best to  Use which ever foot is appropiate when coming to rest .

Left foot down , bike in gear , rear brake applied or .

Right foot down, allows neutral selection and bike held either by riders stance or front brake 

Plan ahead, look at the camber/ layout and pick a foot . It is not mandatory to use the left foot only. 

Edited by TimR

How an instructor described it to me was if you are in neutral and get hit from behind you'll be shoved forward. If in gear (provided you don't notice and move) you will take the entire force of the impact, possibly ending up on the ground being run over by the car.

I've always put left foot down in case some twat decides to overtake me and runs over my right foot!! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm a big advocate of advanced training either iam or rospa. I went the iam route and ended up doing the car version too. 

IAM has some awesome partnership deals too, I saved a fortune on my GS and Mini with BMW, almost £10k

• 6 months later...

Surely nobody thinks that the point of IAM training is to make you the fastest kid from A to B ? They insist you stick to all speed limits and rules of the road ! Any numpty can get there quicker by ignoring all that and putting their life at risk, and track riding is a completely different discipline to riding legally (and safely) on the road.

Actually, that is EXACTLY what they require.  You are encouraged travel at (but never above) the speed limit because (its advanced).  Slowing down too much at bends is a weakness as is 65 on a motorway and will get you marked down on their test.  Also runing in an economical gear is discouraged since you wont be able to accelerate fast of engine brake.

Honestly, I don't know what IAM/ROSPA is for.  They're not safety courses.  They are high speed risk reduction courses.

12 hours ago, Pbassred said:

Honestly, I don't know what IAM/ROSPA is for.  They're not safety courses.  They are high speed risk reduction courses.

so those with a superiority complex can put on a badge or sign to signal their "superiority" ..  likely failed polizi anyway .. 

I've just done the Enhanced rider Scheme test. It's an actual safety based course. The examiner is also an IAM/ROSPA tester. While he said that I was "safe", he couldn't resist telling me that I was slowing down too much on some bends and speed limits.

I would really like to see the ERS taught on group days rather than Bikesafe. Actual road time with a DVSA backed test that can get you an insurance discount!

On 30/05/2023 at 20:33, Pbassred said:

Slowing down too much at bends is a weakness

No it isn't. It represent your current level of confidence. Something as you learn will improve.

as is 65 on a motorway

If that's what the conditions permit, that's fine.

Also runing in an economical gear is discouraged since you wont be able to accelerate fast of engine brake.

Did you Observer mention IPSGA? Information, Position, Speed, Gear and Acceleration. Bottom line, you use the Information phase to ensure, amongst other things, that you're in the correct gear for the circumstances. That's far more important for safe riding than MPG.

They are high speed risk reduction courses.

Erm, outside of the urban environment that's exactly what the course is about. I'll call anyone who say they never ever have exceeded the speed limit as liar, and if you follow the guidance you'll end up being able to ride a higher speed with less risk. What the problem with that?

• Like 2

Actually, that is EXACTLY what they require.  You are encouraged travel at (but never above) the speed limit because (its advanced).  Slowing down too much at bends is a weakness as is 65 on a motorway and will get you marked down on their test.  Also runing in an economical gear is discouraged since you wont be able to accelerate fast of engine brake.

You are encouraged to travel at the speed  that conditions allow and it is safe to do so within the speed limit. The coaching you receive from the observer / tutor should be aimed at improving your Roadcraft to achieve this over time. 

Engine braking? “Gears are for go, brakes are too slow” is the mantra. You are expected to use brakes to reduce speed except when using acceleration sense (an odd phrase, when applied to deceleration, I’ll accept). Running in a gear too high may be an illustration of lack of mechanical sympathy, and it may not be the safest option if it reduces the responsiveness of the bike. It may, also, not be as economical as you think.

• Like 1

Sorry if the 2 previous poster is underderstood me. I know what is written in the manual, but that not what gets taught and examined. Max legal speed possible at all times. I'm confident to hit bends at high speed, but am I demonstrating safety?  A senior IAM examiner told me this week that I should be riding at 7-9000 RPM., using engine braking for adjustments of 10MPH and brakes for greater amounts.

Sure, I push the boundaries all the time, but I don't kid myself that it's advanced.

10 hours ago, Pbassred said:

Sorry if the 2 previous poster is underderstood me. I know what is written in the manual, but that not what gets taught and examined. Max legal speed possible at all times. I'm confident to hit bends at high speed, but am I demonstrating safety?  A senior IAM examiner told me this week that I should be riding at 7-9000 RPM., using engine braking for adjustments of 10MPH and brakes for greater amounts.

Sure, I push the boundaries all the time, but I don't kid myself that it's advanced.

You should always be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear on your own side of the road.  This is often what decides the speed you can ride at.

• Like 4

On 03/06/2023 at 21:45, Pbassred said:

I’m somewhat surprised that was the guidance given (and, bear in mind it is guidance). Did you ask for the rationale for his suggestions, how they bring benefit. 

I’ve passed both the IAM test and RoSPA (Gold) as well as being a senior observer for the IAM and a RoSPA tutor, both for bikes. I certainly don’t ride in that manner and, when helping others towards their advanced test would be guided by Roadcraft, and encourage discussion on the reasons for any guidance. 

Edited by Steve_M
Adding commentary re: rationale, discussion etc.
  • Like 3

I must admit my experience of IAM seems to differ somewhat from pbassred.  My observer was a Police motorcyclist and he was 1st rate.  I was never encouraged to push myself outside of my comfort zone, and as Steve_M said, everything he taught was related back to the Roadcraft manual.  Every observed ride started with a discussion on what he wanted to cover and ended with a debrief, highlighting any observed weaknesses, and also giving positive feedback on the good points.  I would say, in my experience, it was all aimed at riding safely, with a lot of emphasis placed on road positioning , forward vision and vehicle empathy.   In fairness, having completed a couple of different course, they all seem to teach pretty much the same sort of stuff, but the one thing I would say that remains constant with all of them, is that they encourage you to make safe progress, but not to the extent where it becomes dangerous for you or other road users.

• Like 3