What did you do to your bike today? (part 4)

oldgrump

Guest Swagman

Stroked the seat but tomorrow I have to fit a damper rod nice.

What kind of damper? Steering or suspension?

Cheers

Ian

Suspension.

Nothing today but yesterday I stuck it on the bike lift cos I was bored!

First time its been on it as the BMW has been sat on it for months :lol:

I think I will have to start tinkering now :D

Cleaned her AGAIN....scrubbed and lubed the chain AGAIN....got a little wire brush and wd40'd all the little rusty screws and bits i could see AGAIN then wheeled her back into the shed 😭😭😭😭

Cool. Thanks !!! All my fairing ones are SS but the rest arent. I will do that today 😁 what can i do with a horribly rusty exhsust ??

If you want to paint it then you should use something like this

https://shop.vitcas.com/products/heat-resistant-materials/heat-resistant-paints.html

I have painted my iron machine with it and works great.

First remove the rust with a stainless steel scrub pad like this one and some elbow grease ( i get mine elbow grease from toolstation :P)

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/images/products/main/60227/145886/stainless-steel-standard-weight-scouring-pads-12-pack.jpg

You can get them in any supermarket

Make sure all rust is gone before spaying or the rust will come back again and ruin everything. If too much rust then better use a detail or DA sander and then the scrub pad to finish it.

Would you use a rust inhibitor and if so which one?

Would you use a rust inhibitor and if so which one?

I'm not aware of any paint that will prevent rust and at same time will resist high temperatures.

As long you get all the rust out of the way, and must be every single little spot of rust, painting with high temp paint should do the trick.

Back in 2017 the K100 got stolen and the curious little tykes decided to bash the top box open, despite the fact all you have to do is press the lock in like a button and it would open. Today I finally got around to bending the hoop that bolts the to the lid so that it closes properly again, it only took me [strikeout]three[/strikeout] four tries to bend it right! I'm pretty happy with it now, better than when I bought the thing.

I suppose I should buy some decent injection hose and start a real job instead of faffing about..

Oil and filter change time . I used the tinfoil trick and didn't spill a drop . I also fitted a K&N filter which has a 17mm nut on the end which makes replacement a doddle .

IMG_20200408_190003502.thumb.jpg.08a0c179fb778c9ce809fa29d5cd3b02.jpg

who is that nice young lady :?:

I'll have a look in the bin for you tomorrow . I can tell you that the lady is currently pregnant and is doing an imitation of the now iconic Demi Moore photograph .

Guest Swagman

Cheers

Ian

Damper rod done.

Cheers

Ian

Damper rod done.

Hope you are feeling better today?

You could still let me know if it was a steering or suspension damper lol.

Cheers

Ian

Guest Swagman

Cheers

Ian

Damper rod done.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian I did a few days ago, it was the front forks like a nob I did the seals oil and spring upgrade a couple of weeks back, while the wife and I was doing stuff around the shed I found the damper rod that I had not replaced, what a idiot luckily I’ve not been using the bike.lol :oops: :oops: :oops:

Damper rod done.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian I did a few days ago, it was the front forks like a nob I did the seals oil and spring upgrade a couple of weeks back, while the wife and I was doing stuff around the shed I found the damper rod that I had not replaced, what a idiot luckily I’ve not been using the bike.lol :oops: :oops: :oops:

Probably fortunate really as that is a classic "DOH!!" moment.

Cheers

Ian

Wee update on my post.

Finished primer and I'm now on 3rd coat of red.

Tomorrow will be finishing the red. Hope to start clear coats Sun :)

IMG_20200410_132321.thumb.jpg.7380f0f25310d718d94a518401d5ef86.jpg

Guest Swagman

Wee update on my post.

Finished primer and I'm now on 3rd coat of red.

Tomorrow will be finishing the red. Hope to start clear coats Sun :)

Looking good . :thumb:

Another wee update :)

I'm getting there ;)

Considering that I'm using a 24lt 2.5hp compressor that I got from Screwfix for under £100 and a air gun that cost £10 new I would say that is not a bad job 8-)

Adding to it, the last spraying job I did with this kind of paint was back in 1984 when I was asked to spray 5 tanks and 8 amphibious vehicles from the army :D

Tomorrow will be starting the clear coats. :cheers:

IMG_20200411_152754.thumb.jpg.48c07010d906bf0da7270e119af0d972.jpg

[mention]Stu[/mention]

I have just spent far too long looking at the strange tool circled. Thinking it was some kind of 1 handled piston extractor but not quite sure how it would work. Then I realised what I was looking at........I'm going back to bed :oops:

IMG_20200411_141920.thumb.jpg.942761af415e70152a75f08233cbcc81.jpg