What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

31 minutes ago, smallfrowne said:

Well that sounds horrible. Even in the freezing cold I end up a mess after wrangling a tyre on, and they look beastly. At least there's no tubes to nick.

I've had a big gap in fitting tyres - could be I'm not really using them very much to wear them out - but I recently fitted a 16" GN125 rear for a Ukrainian kid that's staying with a mate, and it all came flooding back. The emotional rollercoaster of fitting a tyre, reluctance, anger, fear, pain... satisfaction!

GNReartyre.thumb.jpg.7e237bebf3ecd80e912a57703d8842c0.jpg

The Little GN125 is a bit of a nail. Structurally sound but mechanically lacking, I've ended up doing quite a bit of work to it, should have created a thread. I ended up going round to their house last night to show him how to bump start it. A new starter motor has been ordered but he's chuffed he can use it again to get to work.

Again, not-today-but-yesterday, I dropped off the suspension for a change of spring rate and valve stack at Donnington and spotted His Lordship's, King of MSV racetrack's transport, complete with personal plate.

KingofMSV.thumb.jpg.31c7be1f193151d5eceee86f05a43ea2.jpg

He flies up to us at Oulton Park in the egg scrambler. It's weather permitting though so he doesn't always make it. 

2 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

He flies up to us at Oulton Park in the egg scrambler. It's weather permitting though so he doesn't always make it. 

It's a lovely colour though isn't it. Did you see/hear any of the racing at the weekend? I've still got day 2 to catch up on

My first bike, the CG125, has under my stewardship achieved official "old shit" status. Well actually not quite, not with the DVLA, yet. Being 40+ years old now it's a relic so I won't have to fork out anymore tax for it, which is nice. The MOT expired on Saturday and I assumed I'd have to declare it exempt before I can ride it again legally, but no, I only have to do it for the tax. So, I've got to faff about going to the post office and sending off the logbook. Then I have to "tax" it but don't have to pay. Interesting.

image.thumb.png.a0f7fcef87420450c22a3dc7e65b268d.png

• Like 3

These arrived today. so time to book the (part) 16,000 mile service. so that's everything aside from valve and spark plug check. supplying these as OEM are silly money.

IMG_1279.jpg

Changed the oil on the VFR this afternoon.  A simple task made stupid tricky by an aftermarket exhaust collector designer that made it too close to the plug for it to be fully able to screw all the way out and conversly, to line back up and screw back in. 

My views on his parentage and mental accumen are better left unsaid...

• Haha 1

Had a look at the drive Cog. Have noticed a clunk/knocking noise at slow revs/moving off in busy traffic and thought the small Cog may be hooked, but it's fine. Chain has got a tight spot but no stuck/sticking links but does jump/snatch while running on tickover, but nothing jumps out at me saying "this is the culprit". Chain is kept oiled via a Scott oiler and is less than half way on the adjustment guides so plenty of life left so I'm baffled 

10 minutes ago, billy sugger said:

Had a look at the drive Cog. Have noticed a clunk/knocking noise at slow revs/moving off in busy traffic and thought the small Cog may be hooked, but it's fine. Chain has got a tight spot but no stuck/sticking links but does jump/snatch while running on tickover, but nothing jumps out at me saying "this is the culprit". Chain is kept oiled via a Scott oiler and is less than half way on the adjustment guides so plenty of life left so I'm baffled 

My CBF was doing that last year. I was getting a knock when pulling away. I couldn't find anything chain or drive related. I noticed the engine oil was half way up the dipstick which is meant to be fine, but having added enough to take it to the top of the dipstick range the noise disappeared.  

No idea what it was but it's never done it since. Last oil change I just made sure I filled it to the upper level which takes a bit more than the manual specifies. 

Not today but over the period of a few weeks! 

I fitted some heed engine bars to the bike 

IMG-20230427-WA0000.jpg

I also got some rears which took me far to long to think about getting :lol: the reason been is that I wanted ones I could easily remove when I don't have the luggage on the bike as it looks like King Charles from behind without the luggage :lol:

IMG-20230428-WA0001.jpeg

But with the luggage fitted they stick out about half an inch from the luggage which can't be seen in this pic 

IMG-20230428-WA0003.jpeg

3 bolts and 5 mins and they are off so no hardship to remove and fit them as an when needed 

I also had to relocate the spotlights but wasn't too sure on their position but they don't look too bad

I had to extend the wiring to reach the spotlights though so I took the whole loom out for the lights and extended them at the original connections where the wiring splits to each light so to only introduce an extra connection and enable me to wrap it all up and make it look all stock too 

343554157_190143163450067_201830630729137158_n.jpg 

• Like 4

On 07/05/2023 at 17:43, geofferz said:

May 30th evening, June 20th all day 

I'll do my best to be there for May 30th, I've got an operation scheduled for the 14th June, doubt I'll be mobile enough to make the June date.

• Like 1

I have unearthed a rare barn find. What is the street value of an old nail this lovely CD250U does anyone know? It is available for sale.

Rare barn find.jpg

1 hour ago, smallfrowne said:

I have unearthed a rare barn find. What is the street value of an old nail this lovely CD250U does anyone know? It is available for sale.

Rare barn find.jpg

well there is one on fleabay at the moment the same year for £1400 but it is a lot shinier

• Like 1

The value is debatable - Whatever a collector wants to pay is the answer!

Seriously, there are still a lot of parts available for this and, from the picture, it does not look to be in too bad a condition.

I say at least 100hours of work to strip, clean, check & rebuild.

Expect to fork out around £800 in parts, etc.

So - I would be prepared to offer around the £400 mark (unless it is seen running - then possibly up to £600).

Note: This is my personal opinion - over to you....

Whack a brown seat and some clip ons on it and advertise it in Beard Oil weekly and you should get £3,500 for it easily ..

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, smallfrowne said:

Rare barn find.jpg

For what its worth from the picture its got to be worth 500 quid. You could take a punt and advertise it and see what offers you get. People will buy anything to do up these days and parts a available.

Not a bad little bike by the way . I had one very briefly. The camshaft is very well engineered unlike earlier Honda 250s . It's kind of a transitional engine that was developed into the Superdream series . Alternatively you could describe it as a big Benley . 

3 hours ago, fastbob said:

Whack a brown seat and some clip ons on it and advertise it in Beard Oil weekly and you should get £3,500 for it easily ..

Beard oil weekly are you having a laugh Bob  ?

On 09/05/2023 at 13:11, Fish said:

I'll do my best to be there for May 30th, I've got an operation scheduled for the 14th June, doubt I'll be mobile enough to make the June date.

Come say hi, pm me your mob and I can text which garage we're in

On 09/05/2023 at 15:08, Grumpy Old Git said:

The value is debatable - Whatever a collector wants to pay is the answer!

Seriously, there are still a lot of parts available for this and, from the picture, it does not look to be in too bad a condition.

I say at least 100hours of work to strip, clean, check & rebuild.

Expect to fork out around £800 in parts, etc.

So - I would be prepared to offer around the £400 mark (unless it is seen running - then possibly up to £600).

Note: This is my personal opinion - over to you....

Cheers GOG. I'll leave the patina alone and see if I can get it fired up this weekend then. Cash on collection ok?

15 hours ago, smallfrowne said:

Cheers GOG. I'll leave the patina alone and see if I can get it fired up this weekend then. Cash on collection ok?

Not for me at the moment - No room in t'garage and t'missus would have a fit!

Confined Space GIF