What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

New brake pads on the Explorer. Ordered Sunday, dispatched Monday, fitted Tuesday after work. Top marks to WeMoto. Lever felt a bit spongy, so I've zip tied it for a bit, and I'll bleed them properly if that doesn't help.

Took Zippy on its first green lane expedition  - what could go wrong? 🤷🏻‍♂️

7A88513A-E098-4FA7-AAA2-39C86A7414D7.thumb.jpeg.5ca9825c47863b7f7a760c7e253a4c37.jpeg

HS2 that’s what can go wrong, 5 mins into the ride I came across this: no signs at the beginning of the trail and nothing advising as to which way to go: B*stards

A4514587-0B02-42DD-91E8-75AE72BBEEB9.thumb.jpeg.206dc93188d6460b05a2d36424b4e668.jpeg
So I took a left turn and followed a path made by walkers skirting a farmer’s field, only at the point they got back on the track they obviously were able to step over the black plastic barrier - I couldn’t do this but managed to get through it - no pictures as they could be incriminating 😉

Further down another section I came across this:

33BD7D96-A21D-4436-90C0-5EFEBAC6E965.thumb.jpeg.e7ebdfbfc781f79cebcd4698ed82a370.jpeg
what is wrong with people? These were sawn branches deliberately strewn across the track.

Probably not a great idea to do this after a period of heavy rain, things got a bit muddy:

29C9983E-021C-4955-ACA0-8DF3D8B761D2.thumb.jpeg.f5725ff0ee333385d0f7238bb8206d9c.jpeg45A44EE1-7032-4754-86E5-1E81D06051B2.thumb.jpeg.fa479797e9cb3b68dd8063e55d6f7f62.jpeg
I ought to get some proper kit before doing this again, don’t think my Alpinestars  SMX-5’s are really up to the job.

04D32E15-FA92-4F5A-8B35-ED3E50388170.thumb.jpeg.cfa89994aa37f74814e42497504670b8.jpeg
All in all a couple of pleasant hours, worked up a good sweat, but in hindsight doing it with a mate would’ve been better as I would have not been so tentative through the muddy stuff knowing that I’d have help if I f*ckd it up … oh and some better tyres.

• Like 6

Went for a little bimble around the southern bit of Dumfries and Galloway. I knocked out a variety of routes on MRA, last night and chose the D&G option once on the bike. With hindsight I may modify it to avoid some of the towns for future use. 

I took a diversion from my satnav route when I hit the A75 to Newton Stewart. I really couldn’t face it, so crossed over and found a section of the National Scenic route which is a single track road across moors and through mixed forest. Most pleasant, with some good scenery.

The screen shot is of my actual route, not my designed route. 

7BF9438F-869D-4814-B3A0-9D8FB22E579D.jpeg

70E3B791-9EA0-4524-BE59-10D62DCD45A1.jpeg

42E565B2-EBC5-4A7B-91A2-6407A6114CB3.jpeg

7EB7EB24-367C-454D-AC95-27672FB4A36F.jpeg

93F96559-92DA-4689-B365-8359DED14926.jpeg

AED35CBF-42A0-4104-9A57-23E34462AC88.jpeg

• Like 6

Not today, but yesterday. Went out for a little bimble with the local dealer and a few customers. Started in SE London around 5:30 heading down to Seaford (Eastbourne), which started as dry, 40 mins in it was spitting, hour later RAIN!!!

Still it didnt stop us, and got back home at 10:30ish. Put the bike away, All the gear on the drying rack and the lining removed from the helmet.

The Halvarssons Walkyr jacket kept the top half bone dry other than a slight wet neckline. The Alpinestars Andres Drystar over trousers also worked really well until about the last hour, but mostly just wet around the bootline and a slightly damp crotch area. Gloves were from Roadskin Easyrider, well we all know gloves never hold up that well.

Checked this morning and the jacket was bone dry, the trousers still a little damp, the boots (SMX6 Goretex) still heavily wet and now have newspaper placed inside to help but expect them to take a few days to dry out.

Still you cant beat a agood evenings ride out in testing conditions to help hone riding skills.

May be an image of 6 people, motorcycle and road

Edited by Fish
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, veracocha said:

I was forced to bend over the bike and get right royally rodgered to the tune of £384 for two tyres. 

Michelin Pilot 6 by any chance ? That's pretty well what I paid back in May.

12 hours ago, veracocha said:

Metzeler Roadtec 01SE. Great service centre but painful.

I had Metzlers previously but after 2 sets decided they were wearing out on the rear too fast. Less than 6000 miles.  Brilliant tyres especially in the wet until all of a sudden they weren't.  Currently trying the Michelins on recommendation of my son in law. Reckons they are good for at least 8k. We shall see!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

I had Metzlers previously but after 2 sets decided they were wearing out on the rear too fast. Less than 6000 miles.  Brilliant tyres especially in the wet until all of a sudden they weren't.  Currently trying the Michelins on recommendation of my son in law. Reckons they are good for at least 8k. We shall see!

I got around 8,000 miles off my Road Pilot 5 Trails on the GS. That included a lot of motorway/autoroute (2 up, fully loaded) use and a day on track at Cadwell Park. Now onto the Pilot 6’s.., I’ll be pleased if they do as well (though no track work this year).

Taxed the Explorer. £111 for the year.

Question at the end -

Satisfaction survey:

Overall, how did you feel about the service you received today?

Answer: Very dissatisfied.

How could we improve this service?

Answer:

Dispense with vehicle taxation altogether, thus obviating the need for a complex system of control that flies in the face of the libertarian principles of natural property rights and the principle of non-aggression.

No promises, but I'm hopeful they'll take it on board and we'll all be a bit better off next year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Picked up the DT100 Saturday morning.  Currently assessing it and taking pics for my provenance file.  

As promised earlier, on the other DT100 thread, I will start a thread detailing the complete restoration as soon as I get the chance.

So far I have ascertained that it starts easily, runs and sounds OK.

The fork legs are bent.

The tank is quite good inside.

The displayed mileage of 2738 miles is genuine.  It is still on its original 1977 tyres, chain and sprockets.

Fitted a new battery and discovered the electrics are not functioning.

The autolube pump was disconnected by the previous owner as it was leaking.  Discovered that the pump body end cap was  missing.

None of the above findings are particularly alarming or unexpected.

DT100 Genuine miles

Edited by Tinkicker
  • Like 1

On 31/07/2023 at 20:19, Fiddlesticks said:

Taxed the Explorer. £111 for the year.

Question at the end -

Satisfaction survey:

Overall, how did you feel about the service you received today?

Answer: Very dissatisfied.

How could we improve this service?

Answer:

Dispense with vehicle taxation altogether, thus obviating the need for a complex system of control that flies in the face of the libertarian principles of natural property rights and the principle of non-aggression.

No promises, but I'm hopeful they'll take it on board and we'll all be a bit better off next year.

Thought things were bad here in rip off Ireland butt £111 seems a tad much 

we pay same rate for all bikes €88 euro unless they are antique  so that would be about £76 stg 

But our roads could be best described as crater filled boreens for the most part

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Went out, half a mile up the lane turned round, refitted thermal linings in my jeans. Went out again, not so chilly this time. 

winter is coming GIF

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, V650 said:

we pay same rate for all bikes €88 euro unless they are antique  so that would be about £76 stg 

But our roads could be best described as crater filled boreens for the most part

If you want bad then you need New Zealand! ... NZ$520 (£250) for a bike over 600cc! 

• Sad 3

Had a new front tyre and tube  fitted and  passed my MOT . The tube was in a pretty ropey state so best be cautious . Advisory on the front pads , new ones on order . I think I should probably pay a bit more attention to the essentials and less time polishing the chrome .

IMG_20230807_164616529_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

On 06/08/2023 at 12:25, V650 said:

I doubt our roads are any better than yours. My brother was visiting from Germany and he reckoned ours in the UK were worse than in Eastern Europe. 

• Like 1

On 07/08/2023 at 19:42, S-Westerly said:

I doubt our roads are any better than yours. My brother was visiting from Germany and he reckoned ours in the UK were worse than in Eastern Europe. 

Pothole.JPG

• Haha 2

Rode it from Bibaou through Andorra to Orlonzac ! 

Used my new favourite road the N260 and crossed the Pyrenees crossing off my bucket list. 

Pics will follow! 

Cheers 

Ian

• Like 5