Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

3 hours ago, Stu said:

@Slowlycatchymonkey we have some shifts that start at 2am 🤯 they can keep those!

@Trooper74 I can be up from anywhere between 5 and 7! Mostly it's around 6 though

Just 1 more day then 6 days off :D

I don’t miss getting up at stupid o’clock one bit. If I can keep the routine I have after Covid buggers off I’ll be very happy- get up when you wake up and start work when you’re ready. Too good to last me thinks 😆

6 days off sounds good though. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

6 days off sounds good though

Every 4 weeks I get that! Finish on a Wednesday and go back the following Wednesday 

That on top of working only 4 days a week :lol:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

Every 4 weeks I get that! Finish on a Wednesday and go back the following Wednesday 

That on top of working only 4 days a week :lol:

What is this thing called work? :seeya:

• Haha 4

Went for a pleasant bimble into Chester to deliver some bits and pieces once the rain had stopped. The traffic was very quiet, the only other bikes on the road were 3 police bikes. A nice lady waved to me at one point. Twas my good lady wife on her way to work in order to keep me in the manner to which I am accustomed. 

I must have forgotten to hose the CBF down last time I used it as it was soaking wet whereas the Triumph next to it was bone dry. Salt on the bike had been absorbing moisture out of the air - there was actually a small pool under the bike. When I got home it got snow foamed, jet washed and put into the garage with a dehumidifier on it. Then onto those good chaps as SBS to order more chain lube. And a new reflector from Pyramid for the Bobber tail tidy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Sounds like a pretty good deal. Are they 4 long days? Still well worth it regardless. 

Around 11 hours a day total from start to finish so not too bad really 

When i worked in the steel works we did 12 hours on, 6 days on then 6 days off ... days and nights ,, ... i loved the shifts ... loved it ... I often got called back in on my days off but that was a minimum £200 callout payment ... often just for an hours work ...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

3 to 4 months on followed by 3 to 4 months off. Actual working hours when away vary from 4 to 24 although it is mandatory we get 77 hours rest a week.

Is the mandatory 77 hours rest dependant on who youre working for, eg which country your employers based in? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Is the mandatory 77 hours rest dependant on who youre working for, eg which country your employers based in? 

No, it's mandated under the IMO a bit like pilots flying hours. We're supposed to get a minimum 6 hours rest in any 24 but depending on what's going on not always. If we don't we are supposed to get compensatory rest later. More dodgy operators try and fudge it but if they get caught out the ship can be fined or even detained. 

• Like 1

With lockdown my hours at work are all over the place still but at least I'm working!

at moment its work 9 while 9 with an hour off in afternoon (as I live so close I usually go home which is a bonus) then next day is 5am - 11am. Do that over 5 days.

Edit: the 5am while 11am shift is my own choice. I like to get it over and done with so I have more of a day off. I could go in at 9 or 10 if I wanted (that's what other fryer does) but I don't see the point. I'd just spend all my time at work annoyed with myself for not going in early 😂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

With lockdown my hours at work are all over the place still but at least I'm working!

at moment its work 9 while 9 with an hour off in afternoon (as I live so close I usually go home which is a bonus) then next day is 5am - 11am. Do that over 5 days.

Edit: the 5am while 11am shift is my own choice. I like to get it over and done with so I have more of a day off. I could go in at 9 or 10 if I wanted (that's what other fryer does) but I don't see the point. I'd just spend all my time at work annoyed with myself for not going in early 😂

What happens at 5am in a chippy?

We switch between them depending on quality and size which varies through year. Sagitta are probably my favourite.

As a perk I get all the spuds I want for free (provided I dont take the p*ss :lol:) and yes while I'm stood in the kitchen peeling them I often think about just nipping down to work to throw them in the rumbler. It only takes 2 minutes to do a 25kg sack :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1