Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

1 hour ago, Steve_M said:

Good(ish) evening.

This evening we are mostly assembling the photographs from our last tour to be printed into an album (yes, I know, very 1960’s 😂). My role is to provide images, in .jpg format, of the routes on a day by day. What a pain in the derrière. 

eg. 

27C41428-CE1A-49FE-9F79-C54F576A1FE3.jpeg

The actual routes, which were determined by the weather and which passes were open while we were there, are in this library on MyRouteApp 

https://www.myrouteapp.com/profile/routes/1033195#-1/name/asc

Good morning!

Me and the mrs have found a topic that causes butting heads. Houses. 

4 years back I went from a 3 bed house to a 2 bed flat in a much more expensive area that needed a lot of doing up. The plan worked, it's a similar value to that house now, and my mortgage is much smaller so I'm building a lot more capital to buy my next place with. My girlfriend sold her flat 2 years ago, and a year ago she paid off a chunk of the mortgage as she joined it, with our shares legally ring fenced. She was a big advocate for my plan 4 years back, so seems like we would be aligned on choice of where to live? Nope :lol:

Basically she chooses an area like Warrington and suggests we go there. I oppose it, but then come around and say ok. But then she opposes it now, for reasons I'd originally used to oppose it. Apply this to a few other areas, and eventually we were not on talking terms for an hour or two. Now I just find it funny that we seem to be effective at bringing each other around to a way of thinking that then still leaves us at opposites. We've now agreed to visit a few locations to resolve it. Seeing how the recession does or doesn't go this year, and pulling the trigger in the next year or 2 tops. 

• Like 1

Visit proposed areas and if possible try to air BnB somewhere close by to get to know it a bit better, try pubs etc.

It`s amazing how some areas you think you know change when you stay there for a few days especially during a normal working week.

Good luck with the search.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bonio said:

@Steve_M Ta - don't know if I'll ever go that way, but even so it's helpful to see how you plan the routes.

The routes aren’t planned in advance. Particularly on last years trip as the weather was particularly, and unusually, inclement where we actually wanted to go. We had to check the weather forecast each evening then look to go where the weather appeared best and head that way. Which explains the odd route out to Val Cenis only to have to retrace our steps, for example.

39 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Visit proposed areas and if possible try to air BnB somewhere close by to get to know it a bit better, try pubs etc.

It`s amazing how some areas you think you know change when you stay there for a few days especially during a normal working week.

Good luck with the search.

Cheers

Ian

That might be needed for the North Manchester areas. Which I feel I'm going to be against as it's hard to get anywhere in a hurry from there, you are often trapped into using the M60. 

I grew up in a Warrington post code, it was my local town. It went through a bad phase of being very chavvy. But I hear that many people I grew up ended up moving there and it's gone under some gentrification. So I came around to the idea, but be worth a look first. Last thing I need is waking up with my garage door being peeled back to gain access to my workshop/bikes. A reason I don't miss living in London!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rennie said:

Good Evening :classic_biggrin: Took me over an hour to get home this morning! (2nd day running)

Either this snow/ice needs to go away or people need to learn how to drive in it!

How about the people go away? 

1 hour ago, rennie said:

Good Evening :classic_biggrin: Took me over an hour to get home this morning! (2nd day running)

Either this snow/ice needs to go away or people need to learn how to drive in it!

You need to come down south where we don't see it very often....

Then it really goes tits up, cars in ditches just because....

Slippery hill no waiting till one gets clear for next to start, just all pile in.

Last time it was cold when I had my Landy I was waiting for road to clear.  Some knob over took me, nearly got hit by the car sliding back down the hill.   Then when they where out of there cars arguing, I cruised passed, they where asking for a tow.  

Needless to say I didn't stop.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Good evening. Chilly evening so the lounge wood burner is in use for the first time in a month. 

You've done well. Our burner has been going every night for weeks.

16742380478598819620153426287979.thumb.jpg.558a24991ec9fd514c1810e38274e1ac.jpg

39 minutes ago, goat said:

You've done well. Our burner has been going every night for weeks.

16742380478598819620153426287979.thumb.jpg.558a24991ec9fd514c1810e38274e1ac.jpg

We’ve removed the radiator in the hallway (and plaster off the wall seating great gaps between the door and window jambs and the wall through which is a howling gale of a draught). Otherwise I think we’d have been able to manage without. 

Having 60cm thick stone walls probably helps retain the heat now that they’ve mostly dried out. 

568E2EAB-D355-410E-BAC6-B3C70E3F35CD.jpeg

• Like 2

On 19/01/2023 at 08:21, Fozzie said:

Good morning!

Me and the mrs have found a topic that causes butting heads. Houses. 

4 years back I went from a 3 bed house to a 2 bed flat in a much more expensive area that needed a lot of doing up. The plan worked, it's a similar value to that house now, and my mortgage is much smaller so I'm building a lot more capital to buy my next place with. My girlfriend sold her flat 2 years ago, and a year ago she paid off a chunk of the mortgage as she joined it, with our shares legally ring fenced. She was a big advocate for my plan 4 years back, so seems like we would be aligned on choice of where to live? Nope :lol:

Basically she chooses an area like Warrington and suggests we go there. I oppose it, but then come around and say ok. But then she opposes it now, for reasons I'd originally used to oppose it. Apply this to a few other areas, and eventually we were not on talking terms for an hour or two. Now I just find it funny that we seem to be effective at bringing each other around to a way of thinking that then still leaves us at opposites. We've now agreed to visit a few locations to resolve it. Seeing how the recession does or doesn't go this year, and pulling the trigger in the next year or 2 tops. 

Warrington's never been right since it left Lancashire 🤣

• Like 1

Just thought I would share. For anyone who is looking for accommodation with parking and security for your Stead this summer. I dont think they linky

www.adler-urloffen.de/pension/zimmer

www.hohberg-durbach.de

www.vichter-landhaus.de/index.php

www.hotelzurpost-klotten.de

Edited by Pie man