Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

Down in the west country, we could set our watches by the sonic boom from Concord. 18:10 every evening.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bianco2564 said:

Anyone else hear the sonic boom today?

We were shopping in Rugby and heard it.

Daughter in Daventry heard it too and said it shook the house.

Nope but I heard it on the news this morning, from 80 odd miles away 😁

• Haha 2

Good morning!

I'm back after a week away, in New Jersey then New York for a couple of days. Was nice to walk around, but I heard that NYC had a huge rough patch back in the 80s, with huge homeless numbers and garbage piled in the street. And to my eye, it looked like it was in the grips of the same situation. If I had to go back to NJ for work, I'd probably drive down to Philadelphia the next time, which is only 75 miles from NJ. 

When I got back and had a night to recover from the jetlag, my girlfriends dad wanted to meet down the pub. When I got there he tells me he saw a bike in the canal, and showed me a picture. Ended up going to pick it up and dredging it out, and look! A Honda Monkey.

Poor Monkey Poor Monkey

The steering lock was still on, so I had to haul it about 150 feet back to my gfs dads back garden. We've been in contact with the police, and trying to find the owner who must be local. Looks like some people dragged it, bent the handlebars trying to break the steering lock and gave up, throwing it in the canal. So far the police haven't been interested, and no one has claimed it. Trawled the stolen groups on facebook. 

I hope someone does claim as I've not a clue what to do with it otherwise. The police had no interest in picking it up. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

It looks to be in very good condition?, I'm sure someone must be missing it but how you'd find them I've no idea.

They've only been made in this format since 2019, so it's likely only a few years old at most. It has a dent in the tank, and water will be everywhere. 

I wanted to take it to bits and drain it/check it. But it's technically a stolen bike so I don't fancy working on it even to help reunite it in running form with its owner. 

I'm putting posters up with an e-mail address asking for an owner to send me proof of ownership. V5 will have the frame number on it. 

But if no one claims it, I've not a clue what to do. Another group had someone with a similar experience, and he said it has sat in his workshop now for several years. 

... Maybe I'll put it back where I found it :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Odd that the police aren't interested in stolen property. I'd have thought that was part of the job spec.

If you find something and you've made a reasonable attempt to return it to the owner, then you can keep it. What about contacting DVLA and making it their problem: you could (politely) suggest they either they get in touch with the owner, or they make you the owner. They can chose.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Odd.  Won't DVLA have the VIN no. on file?

Yes, but an owner should have it on their V5 if they come forward and claim it. If it matches the number on the frame, that's good enough for me. 

The conversation with the police went more or less like this:

Me: We've recovered a stolen bike from the canal, can you retrieve it? 

Police: Just log it on our online system, it will tell you what to do.

Me: We did, it said to bring it to the station. We can't really do that as it's too heavy and no one has a car big enough. You'd have recovered it from the canal at greater cost anyway, so can you send a van to take it to a police impound?

Police: No, just log it on the system so we know. We'll put the owner in touch with you to recover it if they come forward.

Me: And if they don't? 

Police: Just hold onto it for now. 

Me: ... Right ok, thank you. 

It was just utter disinterest. I even at one point said "this could be a 17 year olds only way to work, or an older chap who had the classic version pride and joy. Can you not trace the owner and contact them if I give you the details?"... 

Wasn't even interested in the VIN number, just "we've made a note of it, if the owner comes forward we will contact you". 

We used to regularly pull bikes and scooters out of rivers, ponds and lakes. Always reported but I think only once did the police come out when we had the full reg and eventually it got recovered. Most would sit in the yard and eventually get scrapped. 

3 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Good morning!

I'm back after a week away, in New Jersey then New York for a couple of days. Was nice to walk around, but I heard that NYC had a huge rough patch back in the 80s, with huge homeless numbers and garbage piled in the street. And to my eye, it looked like it was in the grips of the same situation. If I had to go back to NJ for work, I'd probably drive down to Philadelphia the next time, which is only 75 miles from NJ. 

When I got back and had a night to recover from the jetlag, my girlfriends dad wanted to meet down the pub. When I got there he tells me he saw a bike in the canal, and showed me a picture. Ended up going to pick it up and dredging it out, and look! A Honda Monkey.

Poor Monkey Poor Monkey

The steering lock was still on, so I had to haul it about 150 feet back to my gfs dads back garden. We've been in contact with the police, and trying to find the owner who must be local. Looks like some people dragged it, bent the handlebars trying to break the steering lock and gave up, throwing it in the canal. So far the police haven't been interested, and no one has claimed it. Trawled the stolen groups on facebook. 

I hope someone does claim as I've not a clue what to do with it otherwise. The police had no interest in picking it up. 

Maybe worth dropping Honda UK an email with an vin number they may be able to reunite the bike with its owner. Its bad you gave to do the running around. Maybe shame the rozzers on social media they will reply to a shitty tweet. Suspected stolen property high value they should recover it, poor show by them.

• Like 1

I had similar with an old Bantam D2 I found covered in brambles in a boatyard - No seat, no headlight and LOTS of rust.

Police / DVLA not interested.

Tax disk (still legible) had 1978 - So probably only used off-road for years.

Anyway - After 'storing it' for 6 months - Police enquiry advised that I could now keep it.

Long story short - Partial rebuild - Obtained new docs - MOT pass - Sold to the Norfolk Motorcycle Museum.

😀

• Like 3

If my memory serves me correctly anything you report as found/or use to take to a police station becomes yours after 3 months if not claimed. I got a rather decent racing bike that way some years ago when I could ride one

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, billy sugger said:

If my memory serves me correctly anything you report as found/or use to take to a police station becomes yours after 3 months if not claimed. I got a rather decent racing bike that way some years ago when I could ride one

Yes, that's how it used to be. Did this once when I found some jewellery down a county lane. 

But the police have stopped doing this now, as a cost-saving measure.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bonio said:

Yes, that's how it used to be. Did this once when I found some jewellery down a county lane. 

But the police have stopped doing this now, as a cost-saving measure.

Yup off to police auction. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rennie said:

Good Evening . Looks like I will be being made redundant! Just not sure exactly when yet:scratch:

Sorry to hear that Rennie 

1 hour ago, rennie said:

Good Evening . Looks like I will be being made redundant! Just not sure exactly when yet:scratch:

That is a bummer Rennie hopefully things will work out and it could be a blessing in disguise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rennie said:

I hope the redundancy pay makes yours and their eyes water… For opposing reasons obviously! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rennie said:

Really horrid news. Not a good time to be job hunting either. 

• Like 1