Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

2 hours ago, rennie said:

Nah! we had fry up yesterday!

Roast beef Sunday lunch later though :thumb:

Always have a late breakfast Sunday cos everyone has a lie in before training and get back around 10ish. We’re on the roast beef today too.

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Well the young folk got a hell of a lot of accusations hurled about not following the rules, seems right to even things up a bit 😂

On a marvellous positive note Somerset has not recorded a single hospitalisation or death for 9 consecutive days in the over 70’s 😊

Had to go into town yesterday afternoon to pick up a prescription . Have to say the place was heaving. Folk everywhere. Have to say though the majority were below 50, and the number of young women  and blokes walking in groups and sitting on the benches no distancing can’t believe they were all from one house hold. 

• Confused 1

Pretty well what I am seeing around here. Was in Stroud market yesterday and it was pretty busy although most folks were masked up but social distancing just wasn't happening really. All the coffee shops were doing takeaway and folks drinking them in groups. Police were around and never seemed to bother anyone. Doesn't bother me at all.

5 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

Why? 

Probably because they have no idea of the workload teachers have had to carry during Covid. Leave the house at 5.30am to begin preparations of equipment. Drag a heavy trolley round a vast secondary school with no working lifts because the pupils stay in one room and the staff come to them. Work all day with no break, not even time for lunch. Get home at 7.30pm, grab a meal, then work to 11.00pm catching up. Saturday off. Work all day Sunday. 

Yes, there's worse places in the world but teaching is a profession too many people leave due to an impossible work / life balance.

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog
  • Like 2

Good morning. I’ve spent the last hour trying to find a supplier for 19mm (finished size) x 100mm (ish) tongue and groove V joint timber so I can make new doors for our stables. 

No, we don’t have horses. The previous owners did. We just use the stables as storage facilities. The doors, though, are knackered and I thought I’d enjoy making new ones. 

13 hours ago, James in Brum said:

Why? 

WHY?

When I see people walking for miles to go to a "school" risking their lives, schools with no walls or windows, not to mention that desks are the pupils own knees, where a the wee man says shooting and shelling is as normal as aeroplanes in London. Teachers keep doing their job despite not being paid for over 3 years.

Where a children takes on himself to teach his friends because they have no teacher.

And then we have the teachers in this country complaining at any excuse about anything just to come on the news or because their raise is "only" the same as the inflation.

How about teachers in the UK go and spend a couple months in Yemen, any country in Africa or any other similar place so they know what is teaching when the only thing you have to work with is your imagination.

6 minutes ago, husoi said:

WHY?

When I see people walking for miles to go to a "school" risking their lives, schools with no walls or windows, not to mention that desks are the pupils own knees, where a the wee man says shooting and shelling is as normal as aeroplanes in London. Teachers keep doing their job despite not being paid for over 3 years.

Where a children takes on himself to teach his friends because they have no teacher.

And then we have the teachers in this country complaining at any excuse about anything just to come on the news or because their raise is "only" the same as the inflation.

How about teachers in the UK go and spend a couple months in Yemen, any country in Africa or any other similar place so they know what is teaching when the only thing you have to work with is your imagination.

Having seen at first hand how some people live I applaud every effort to make life better for them 

However to use their plight as grounds to rubbish the working conditions of people in this country only serves to drive people's lives downwards.

We might as well say Marcus Rashford's work to provide meals for poorer children is misguided because there are children elsewhere worse off. 

Using the poorest to justify bad policy doesn't make things better. Education is the key to unlocking better futures for everyone. I've worked (voluntarily) in education for over 30 years. Governments of every persuasion have constantly used education as a political football. The only Secretary for Education who understood how bad things are was Estelle Morris, and she quit because things were so bad she knew they couldn't be fixed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, husoi said:

WHY?

Do you mean that when some people have it worse people who have it bad should not complain? 

16 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Probably because they have no idea of the workload teachers have had to carry during Covid. Leave the house at 5.30am to begin preparations of equipment. Drag a heavy trolley round a vast secondary school with no working lifts because the pupils stay in one room and the staff come to them. Work all day with no break, not even time for lunch. Get home at 7.30pm, grab a meal, then work to 11.00pm catching up. Saturday off. Work all day Sunday. 

Yes, there's worse places in the world but teaching is a profession too many people leave due to an impossible work / life balance.

Or. Like most schools are doing at present.

Teachers teach from home via teams and teaching assistants are the ones in school for the kids of essential workers and the vulnerable. 

Wife works in a school and both of my kids are sat having lessons via teams now.

All proffessions have had it rough.  But the teachers will always have it rougher......

Civilisation progresses (albeit mostly at a snails pace) because people strive to improve things.
The people striving to make these improvements don’t think along the lines they should just be grateful for the way things are because “there’s always someone worse off” 

Improving education, health, equality of opportunity in this country is a laudable aim, not something that is going to detract from the suffering of others in war torn countries but you never know a better educated more enlightened country might produce people that are capable of making a difference there too.

I sympathise to an extent with Husoi’s take on things because my goodness we do A LOT of whining and moaning and a lot less doing which can wear a bit thin when you look at things globally. 

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey
Typed wore instead of war 😂
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would love to take all the long term healthy unemployed and swap them with unemployed in an African country, give them a month and at the end they could be matched in a boxing match, I wonder who would win. 😁 

• Haha 1