Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

2 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

When I realise that UK drivers aren't really that bad. 

What you really mean is that UK drivers aren't the worst. :P 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve_M said:

My daughter spent a few weeks with us here last year. She’s been working 12-14hr days at home, solitary as she’s single. She came here as her bubble and we cut that down to 10hrs a day by encouraging her to join us on walks. I digress. 

I occasionally listened to to her Skype meetings: she runs a large team of (offshore and onshore) credit controllers and credit managers, reporting to the U.K. Financial Director. No meeting more than an hour, updates only, serious issues dealt with individually out of the meeting . Always positive & constructive.

I found it exhausting just listening. The pace was unremittting. Then I recalled my working life... our meetings were rarely so intense, but, being retired, I’d forgotten what a chore they could be.

I’m glad I’m out of it. 

Best of luck. 🤔

Sounds like she has a good job and earns a few quid... and single you say...

Well hello...

image.jpeg.2840832a39c4fb4f5d73904db05a725d.jpeg

Edited by Six30
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Six30 said:

Sounds like she has a good job and earns a few quid... and single you say...

Well hello...

image.jpeg.2840832a39c4fb4f5d73904db05a725d.jpeg

Yes, she lives on a remote island in the Outer Hebrides with no one to keep her company except her pack of highly trained attack Doberman’s. 😂

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Was this move to guard dog isolation island immediately after meeting six? 😂

No merely at the sound of him buckling his armoured codpiece and wheeling the bike out under the cover of darkness.

Has anyone seen Mrs @Six30 ? I am concerned.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

No merely at the sound of him buckling his armoured codpiece and wheeling the bike out under the cover of darkness.

Has anyone seen Mrs @Six30 ? I am concerned.

Cheers

Ian

Now there’s an image I could well do without. 

• Haha 1

Good evening.

Many, many  moons ago I worked for HMSO, now the TSO. Their processes were cumbersome back then (for those of a technical mind, they were using SSADM and Jackson Structured Programming, unfettered by the real world practicalities of an actual working end product). They haven’t improved.
They have outsourced much to a company called Williams-Lea. I’m very familiar with Williams-Lea. Many of my former colleagues were tupe’d over to them when printing was outsourced by my employer, and I had to work with them on various projects. Their processes haven’t improved in the intervening period, either. 

I  am in the process of attempting to purchase one of their products. Painful is an understatement. Still, I will persevere. If only I still had my contacts in W-L .... 😡

3 hours ago, Steve_M said:

Good evening.

Many, many  moons ago I worked for HMSO, now the TSO. Their processes were cumbersome back then (for those of a technical mind, they were using SSADM and Jackson Structured Programming, unfettered by the real world practicalities of an actual working end product). They haven’t improved.
They have outsourced much to a company called Williams-Lea. I’m very familiar with Williams-Lea. Many of my former colleagues were tupe’d over to them when printing was outsourced by my employer, and I had to work with them on various projects. Their processes haven’t improved in the intervening period, either. 

I  am in the process of attempting to purchase one of their products. Painful is an understatement. Still, I will persevere. If only I still had my contacts in W-L .... 😡

I feel for you. Eons ago I had to occasionally buy stuff printed by HMSO - by the time something became available I'd inevitably moved on to something else. I once got penalised because I did not have a copy of the latest edition of a Statutory Instrument on board. Unfortunately  HMSO hadn't yet got it printed and made available to the retail agents. Hmph.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, skyrider said:

same here too all day and now the wind is getting up more :classic_unsure:

Been pretty wild and wooly here all day. Had to go out so took the bike. Having done what I needed decided to go for a bimble. Got up on to the Common and almost got blown off. Discretion being the better part of valour I went home. Now listening to the wind howling round the house but warming myself with a very nice glass of rum.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Westerly said:

Been pretty wild and wooly here all day. Had to go out so took the bike. Having done what I needed decided to go for a bimble. Got up on to the Common and almost got blown off. Discretion being the better part of valour I went home. Now listening to the wind howling round the house but warming myself with a very nice glass of rum.

It’s blowing a hooley up here. Luckily the house has a shelter belt of trees on three sides so we’re not too affected by it. I do wonder what it’s like for the people in the houses at the top of the hill, which is very exposed. 

Just now, Steve_M said:

It’s blowing a hooley up here. Luckily the house has a shelter belt of trees on three sides so we’re not too affected by it. I do wonder what it’s like for the people in the houses at the top of the hill, which is very exposed. 

We're halfway up what counts for a hill hereabouts. It's not that high but steep and the prevailing westerlies come roaring up the valley and hit us dead on. A plus though is we are sheltered from the relatively rare but usually freezing North-easterlies.

A bit annoyed this morning. Yesterday was a bit of a bugger of a day but I got finished just before 10.00pm. But then someone rang me asking about something they needed urgently sorting. Which I did and got everything to them that they needed. It got sent by email by about 11.00pm.

Only this morning it turns out they'd lied about their address thinking it would help their application. If they'd told me the truth I'd have been able to sort things out by using a different legal process. By lying they just wasted my time as now I have to do it all again just using a different process.

On the bright side I have a new job. For the next few weeks I'm going to be our village school dinner 'lady'. Ours has left and there's no-one available at short notice now the school is fully open. Since I have the necessary DBS paperwork and live right next door it actually means I get a lunch break for once. It's just spent wiping tables and spraying small children with DDT or whatever else they use these days.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, rennie said:

Good Morning :D

Good morning. 

The weather seems to have settled into grey and overcast with only a light breeze here. Forecast is for hail and high winds later on. Should be fun for the guy sandblasting one of our walls. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

It's just spent wiping tables and spraying small children with DDT or whatever else they use these days.

Man, that's nasty stuff!

*Some years ago in a far away jungle* we used to smother ourselves with it. I got some on my compass and it took all the markings off! :shock:

• Like 1