Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

Good morning.

I may have to hide my good lady’s debit card. I’m not sure of the exact figure but she’s spent somewhere in the region of a thousand pounds on plants for the garden. This week!

To be fair, gardening is her main hobby, and that sum pales against how much I spend on my motorbike.

Of course, now I have to help her plant the damn things 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Good morning.

I may have to hide my good lady’s debit card. I’m not sure of the exact figure but she’s spent somewhere in the region of a thousand pounds on plants for the garden. This week!

To be fair, gardening is her main hobby, and that sum pales against how much I spend on my motorbike.

So you're getting your own tropical forest 😂

Shame you're far, my missus sells plants on crapface

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, husoi said:

So you're getting your own tropical forest 😂

Shame you're far, my missus sells plants on crapface

Unlikely to be tropical where we are.  Our garden in Norwich had some tropical plants which survived very well.

We’ll be planting a few acers this afternoon to make a start on creating an “acer grove” just below our veranda.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

That went spectacularly wrong back in 1976 when it was rather warm and we saw a fleet of minesweepers flying above the horizon off the coast of N Wales. My dad, who has a very deadpan sense of humour, told a group of lads they were a new type of Russian flying warship obviously on their way to invade the UK. We laughed and laughed. Until later that night a rather large and angry gentleman was going round the tents asking for the nutcase who had scared his little Johnny so that he wasnt' going to sleep in case the Ruskies came through the side of the tent.

• Haha 3

Very happy 😊👏

Son just had a nerve wracking interview for Guildford (yes on a Saturday?!) where he had to audition and at the end they immediately offered him an unconditional place. So he has that option in his back pocket, takes a lot of pressure off.

But the thing that’s really made me happy is he really doesn’t like his voice and would avoid singing, he’d just started (with a lot of encouragement) to open up a bit when a previous not so nice girlfriend (who has a superb singing voice) told him he really can’t sing and shouldn’t... grrr.

His voice is limited in range but it’s deep, slightly gravelly and powerful so it sounds good, he doesn’t sound like a mere 18yr old.

So he gets to the end of the audition and they tell him he’s also got a great sounding voice and sings well, he’s made up. 

• Like 7

Well done to your boy. Its a really great feeling when they accomplish something especially when it's a bit off the beaten track as it were. A morale booster for them too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Well done to your boy. Its a really great feeling when they accomplish something especially when it's a bit off the beaten track as it were. A morale booster for them too.

Thanks s-westerly. I’m very happy for him, he needed that boost. I always think it’s marvellous watching your children doing something you can’t do yourself. Like maybe perhaps genetics and happenstance have made improvements. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NeilM said:

Online concert recording.

Same piece over n over n over.... so it can then be spliced together......

20210306_155231.jpg

When I look at this photo Neil I can’t help but think someone of quality must have accidentally bred with you 😂 How’s that for a back handed compliment? :seeya:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

When I look at this photo Neil I can’t help but think someone of quality must have accidentally bred with you 😂 How’s that for a back handed compliment? :seeya:

I'll take that mate

• Haha 1

finally finished mums kitchen ....... well there's a spacer up one side and the kick boards to do but she hasn't bought those yet. Still I jokingly said "well that's your mothers day pressie sorted" and she agreed :) looks like i got out of going and buying her a plant to kill this year :) 

• Like 4

On 05/03/2021 at 11:18, Steve_M said:

Good morning.

Bury the card, you may get a money tree 😁 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Very happy 😊👏

Son just had a nerve wracking interview for Guildford (yes on a Saturday?!) where he had to audition and at the end they immediately offered him an unconditional place. So he has that option in his back pocket, takes a lot of pressure off.

But the thing that’s really made me happy is he really doesn’t like his voice and would avoid singing, he’d just started (with a lot of encouragement) to open up a bit when a previous not so nice girlfriend (who has a superb singing voice) told him he really can’t sing and shouldn’t... grrr.

His voice is limited in range but it’s deep, slightly gravelly and powerful so it sounds good, he doesn’t sound like a mere 18yr old.

So he gets to the end of the audition and they tell him he’s also got a great sounding voice and sings well, he’s made up. 

Brilliant is that.

We have all that to come next year. 

Lad undecided. 

Girl. Getting fought over...lol.  She is on the "widening participation" scheme. It looks good for redbrick uni's to have a few working class kids in their ranks. Neither me nor Lisa went to uni from school. In fact both left at 16 and went back to further education later in life.

Its a really good idea to be honest.  She was supposed to be summer camping at Cambridge, but it's now over teams etc. But it does make a difference.  Up to all this she was adamant she was not going to a red brick uni as she wouldn't fit in.

Never tell your kids they can't achieve. 

Good luck for your boy.

58 minutes ago, NeilM said:

Brilliant is that.

We have all that to come next year. 

Lad undecided. 

Girl. Getting fought over...lol.  She is on the "widening participation" scheme. It looks good for redbrick uni's to have a few working class kids in their ranks. Neither me nor Lisa went to uni from school. In fact both left at 16 and went back to further education later in life.

Its a really good idea to be honest.  She was supposed to be summer camping at Cambridge, but it's now over teams etc. But it does make a difference.  Up to all this she was adamant she was not going to a red brick uni as she wouldn't fit in.

Never tell your kids they can't achieve. 

Good luck for your boy.

TLDR Yeah it’s a certainly worth trying. 

Cheers Neil and all power to your kids elbows. Different strokes for different folks. It’s something you have to try to know if it suits. I went to Guildford and tbh coming from a very very bad state school it was a bit of a culture shock. They seemed sooo confident, sorted and did the work easily while still partying. But I just reminded myself I’d been offered a place and was there even though I hadn’t had a leg up like the others with public schooling and wealthy parents, I felt proud I’d made it into this privileged world that wasn’t meant for the likes of me, like I deserved it maybe even a little bit more than the others there which might sound odd but it was very helpful when those moments occurred when my background left me feeling exposed for not knowing or having experienced the same things as them. 

I look back on it now and realise it fundamentally changed the way I viewed people, privilege and wealth. By the end of the first year I realised plummy accents, large bank accounts and expensive educations meant nothing when it came to intellect or ability. What they had in spades that I didn’t was the confidence that they could go anywhere and do anything (plus some great contacts). The world was open to them and they were entitled to take part in it. That rubs off on you and suddenly your also a go anywhere do anything person too and that is absolutely priceless.

By the end of the second year I wasn’t phased by anything, I could easily talk to a professors or a millionaire like they were my equal and I did because I’d transformed into someone who valued myself differently. The snobbery was a bit annoying though but such fun to prick the pomposity of silly people. So yeah sorry it’s such a long one but I vaguely remember you saying something about your daughters confidence and if you approach it the right way you leave full of it!

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey
  • Like 3

Good morning gang. I rode my motorcycle all the way from south Brum to Wolves to the Homeopathy department! 
so wonderful and so happy. 
May one point I could not change up and worried the clutch was ducked. Transpires I was already in sixth. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, James in Brum said:

Good morning gang. I rode my motorcycle all the way from south Brum to Wolves to the Homeopathy department! 
so wonderful and so happy. 
May one point I could not change up and worried the clutch was ducked. Transpires I was already in sixth. 

Don’t they have a Homeopathy in Solihull. It’s the sort of posh place you would expect one. 😉😁 

I have applied for a job as head of holistic services in South Birmingham. It’s one grade up which would be ace and specifically managing other professions as well as a serviceZ to be honest it is a smaller job than I have now and I already manage other professions :-)

• Like 1