Forum software

Stu

Not keen on Subscribers only area, it splits people up. Can sometimes make a forum look dead. I've seen it happen.

Keeping the forum going by being a subscriber is the benefit.

Yes, I agree with that. However, at the moment there's no inducement to subscribe for those who haven't felt compelled to do so to date, so maybe there's a way to offer some kind of benefit to subscribers that would convince more people that it's worth doing.

How about a donations tab, so you could donate extra to the running of the site if so desired. :thumb:

That's a very good idea. And maybe ask for a percentage of anything sold on here (in fact, such a tab would make that very easy).

However, at the moment there's no inducement to subscribe for those who haven't felt compelled to do so to date, so maybe there's a way to offer some kind of benefit to subscribers that would convince more people that it's worth doing.

Agreed, but that is the crux of it. What would be worth it for those still yet to subscribe?

Sexy pics of the mods/admins? :lol:

However, at the moment there's no inducement to subscribe for those who haven't felt compelled to do so to date, so maybe there's a way to offer some kind of benefit to subscribers that would convince more people that it's worth doing.

Agreed, but that is the crux of it. What would be worth it for those still yet to subscribe?

Maybe only subscribers can use the sales section.

Maybe only subscribers can use the sales section.

That's not a bad idea as it stands as a 1 month sub is only £3.00 small potatoes if selling something like a bike, but maybe have a minimum or maximum price point, as no one would sell something if it wasn't worth the sub's fee :thumb:

Any idea of when this upgrade might take place :thumb:

When [mention]Stu[/mention] gets back from his Caribbean cruise. :seeya:

Its not that straight forward! and very time consuming

I am currently doing a dry run on my PC and its taken 30 mins to get to 18% :shock:

I am currently doing a dry run on my PC and its taken 30 mins to get to 18% :shock:

That's not too bad :thumb:

f**k me Stu, going in dry? No wonder you're only at 18%!

:puke:

Because you're emulating a LAMP environment on a Windows PC that's why.

Any test migrations must be done on the actual environment to be sure there's no conflicts on that server.....e.g. Mod Security, CSF, Brute Force Protection etc.

Also, even if you match the exact PHP and MariaDB versions, can you be sure you've applied the same db optimisations and php.ini values that exist there?

Duplicate the sub directory installation you've made and run it there.....ideally at an off peak time. Allocate extra memory in the php.ini as well......ideally 512MB.

Because you're emulating a LAMP environment on a Windows PC that's why.

Any test migrations must be done on the actual environment to be sure there's no conflicts on that server.....e.g. Mod Security, CSF, Brute Force Protection etc.

Also, even if you match the exact PHP and MariaDB versions, can you be sure you've applied the same db optimisations and php.ini values that exist there?

Duplicate the sub directory installation you've made and run it there.....ideally at an off peak time. Allocate extra memory in the php.ini as well......ideally 512MB.

That is the full plan but I still want to test offline to see how it all goes with the conversion :)

not time... im looking at motorbikes.

More like breast pumps :D

I thought he was a twat not a tit. :D

can we stay in on topic please, lot of work going into this update, plenty of other threads to twat or tit about on .