Vehicle Road tax by mile.....

JRH

Tax on fuel ain't feasible for electric as you can plug them in anywhere, if they start taxing by mile they can say it's fare on all, are they going to charge more per mile if your driving round in something that does 8mpg?

I can do 200 mile a day how would I pass that onto customers.

Why don't they just increase it more?

Just like smoking they have had to tax cigarettes massively to get people to stop.

Cars will be the same.

Because not all of us live anywhere near any sort of functional public transport!

Taxing the shit out of smokes doesn't make people stop, it just makes them look for alternatives i.e. moody fags from Spain/France/wherever. Thus completely bypassing the tax system.

I expect there will be some enterprising individuals who cobble together workable biodiesel & ethanol to get round it.

I can do 200 mile a day how would I pass that onto customers.

You're already paying 6p a mile in petrol taxes. How do you pass this onto your customers?

Just now, James in Brum said:

I wonder how many of the vehicles on the road are new compared to how many not new. 

they are all not new as soon as driven off forecourt.

• Like 1

If it were me, I'd levy a monthly tax, based on some notional vehicle value. Add in some special rates for classic cars and bikes. Job done.  
Only problem is that it's more expensive to collect than a sales tax.