Couch to 5km

Bianco2564

Anyone else taken up this challenge?

I started unintentionally in August when OH and me began a weight loss and walking regime and kind of went from there.

I lost 5kg fairly easily, just cutting out the chocs and crisps etc and aiming for one good walk and several shorter walks in a week.

This progressed into me starting to run, which was about 100m at first before my calves began to hurt but this morning was my first 5km run in just under 37mins.

Really pleased with this, last time i ran any distance was at school in 1980.

• Like 7

You can get your run fitness back quite quickly, you're definitely doing it the right way.  Some people think they can just go out and run miles straight off the bat after years of doing nothing, they then wonder why they end up with lower back issues, shin splints and extremely sore legs.  The ethos of dieting is quite simple, eat half as much and move twice as much.  My brother has struggled with weight since lockdown,  as I'm sure a lot of people have.  You sound like you're heading in the right direction, well done 👍

Some 20 years ago I was running about 40 miles every week - I had a BMI closer to single figures than was healthy and was fitter than a fit thing from Fitville. Fast forward a couple of decades, an extra stone in weight, a knee that plays up once I run beyond a few miles a week and a couple of years of inactivity and I have to say that I've found Couch to 5k a really useful tool to getting myself out there again.

@Bianco2564, you've done brilliantly, mate, and should be proud of yourself. Keep it up.

Edited by learningtofly
Typo
  • Like 1

I did this at beginning of the year but fell off the wagon come lockdown :bang:

Used to do it on Wifes treadmill so I knew I was always running at a consistent speed. I remember the first day that had a full 20 minute run with no walking I almost cried!! thought there was no way I'd manage it (I think the most the program had you just run before that was for 8 minutes) but I did, somehow 😅

Wife and daughter started in the summer. They still go out 3 times a week or I will take the daughter out when the wife is injured/can't be arsed* - * delete as appropriate.

Stick at it. Great for controlling weight and mental health. I run around 45 miles per week over 7 days, week in week out but a long way from my 70+ mile weeks I used to run.

I've taken approx 4 st off in weight and kept it off. Complete change in lifestyle. Not easy, but you get out of it exactly what you put into it.

2 hours ago, manxie49 said:

You can get your run fitness back quite quickly, you're definitely doing it the right way.  Some people think they can just go out and run miles straight off the bat after years of doing nothing, they then wonder why they end up with lower back issues, shin splints and extremely sore legs.  The ethos of dieting is quite simple, eat half as much and move twice as much.  My brother has struggled with weight since lockdown,  as I'm sure a lot of people have.  You sound like you're heading in the right direction, well done 👍

and they could try walking round the block every night 

Just now, skyrider said:

and they could try walking round the block every night 

when i went over to the T T and the MANX i used to walk from  just past the queens pub to nearby the ferry terminal and back every night :classic_smile:

I'm with Mississippi on this. Wrecked my knee skiing 20 years ago and consequently had to give up running  and raquet sports as after 10 minutes of impact my knee would swell up to enormous size and take several hours of ice pack to get to a point I could walk. Cycling is not a problem and funnily enough neither is skiing as long as I keep away from moguls.

Thanks all for the encouragement.

What surprises me is how motivated I feel to keep it up, whenever I'm out in the car or bike and see another runner, I look forward to when I can get out and will hopefully be able to do some organised runs when covid is over.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skyrider said:

when i went over to the T T and the MANX i used to walk from  just past the queens pub to nearby the ferry terminal and back every night :classic_smile:

Was that to bushy's beer tent 😁

Well done for sticking with it:thumb: With the current situation I've become more interested in exercise and eating well. I'm following this exercise routine that only uses body weight, no equipment needed. I printed off the pdf. I find if I follow their plan and keep track of the repetitions I'm doing I'm more motivated to keep at it.

https://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rfburger/royal-marine-commando-7-exercises.pdf

3 hours ago, Guest said:

I highly recommend Nike's React Infinite Run Flyknit trainers (currently 40% off) https://www.nike.com/gb/t/react-infinity-run-flyknit-running-shoe-jBb5hk/CD4371-001

And Kickbike's City G4 fitness scooter, for those days when you can't be bothered to run https://kickbikescooters.co.uk/store/kick-bike-city-g4.html

Thanks, I was looking at some other shoes for more trail running, I bought some Asics road running shoes which I thought "would do" for what I wanted but found their limitations while running across wet grass.

If you're not used to running then go to a proper running shop and speak to someone that knows trainers and what will suit you. Flat feet wide feet running gait etc all affect what what will suit you. 

My gf did the couch to 5k. She hates the first few days but stuck with it and now she's running basically every other day. 

I love my inov8 mudclaws dor trail running. They are brilliant!!! So much so that i get asked a lot about them due to everyone else slipping abd sliding about but i dont. Beware though they do run at least a size smaller if not 1 and a half sizes smaller. 

Also look at the wear pattern on soles of old shoes...that will tell you how you are gait wise (under or over pronating or neutral) if your calves are hurting it sounds like you are heel striking. You should be striking mid to forefoot. Try takung smaller strides and stay leaning forward like you are going to fall forwards. Some great youtube vids on it. Called pose running. I used to get back issues running but not anymore 😉 

Edited by gymwitch

6 hours ago, gymwitch said:

I love my inov8 mudclaws dor trail running. They are brilliant!!! So much so that i get asked a lot about them due to everyone else slipping abd sliding about but i dont. Beware though they do run at least a size smaller if not 1 and a half sizes smaller. 

Also look at the wear pattern on soles of old shoes...that will tell you how you are gait wise (under or over pronating or neutral) if your calves are hurting it sounds like you are heel striking. You should be striking mid to forefoot. Try takung smaller strides and stay leaning forward like you are going to fall forwards. Some great youtube vids on it. Called pose running. I used to get back issues running but not anymore 😉 

Thanks, I read a while back about taking short strides and leaning forward, didn't realise that it was called pose running.

Will focus more on the technique when I go out tomorrow.

Are the mudclaws suitable for trail running only, one of my routes is a mix of tarmac and off-road?