Bender

Just now, Steve_M said:

Yes, it’s Judo. 

vaguely remember doing judo at school ..... if you got in a fight out side a pub or where ever, and the fella [ or if in wales probably a women ] wasn't  wearing a really baggy top or trousers you be fooked .

5 minutes ago, Six30 said:

vaguely remember doing judo at school ..... if you got in a fight out side a pub or where ever, and the fella [ or if in wales probably a women ] wasn't  wearing a really baggy top or trousers you be fooked .

Sort of.

I’ve always said that Judo is as much use as gymnastics in a scrap. You’d be, in general, fitter and have better spacial awareness which could work to your advantage. Mates of mine were bouncers in some rough places in Brum and they generally found that they could grapple the other guy to the ground whereupon it would be easy to subdue the ruffian they were dealing with - not many people were good on the ground, and kit isn’t needed to handle people in that situation. 

I, naturally, never got into any scraps, so I have to take their word for it.

And I used to know a few women like that. 😉 😂

9 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Sort of.

I’ve always said that Judo is as much use as gymnastics in a scrap. You’d be, in general, fitter and have better spacial awareness which could work to your advantage. Mates of mine were bouncers in some rough places in Brum and they generally found that they could grapple the other guy to the ground whereupon it would be easy to subdue the ruffian they were dealing with - not many people were good on the ground, and kit isn’t needed to handle people in that situation. 

I, naturally, never got into any scraps, so I have to take their word for it.

And I used to know a few women like that. 😉 😂

Judo is predominantly a sport as I understand it......and competitors are players rather than fighters.

Course it's all MMA type stuff that's popular today isn't it?

And don't you get problems with joints (particularly knees) doing it at 67?

One of the best things about Judo when it comes to having a scrap is that you are used to fighting against someone who is trying to beat you too. None of this "I will slowly bring my hand down for you to block and counter" like you see in some other Martial Arts.

I did Judo when I was around 10 and still remember my first lesson which is surprising as I think I ended up with a concussion :classic_blink:

Towards the end of the session we were all told to take it in turns at trying to take one of the brown belts down who was probably very late teens or early twenties (guessing the training was more for his sake than ours!)

When it came to my go (bearing in mind this was my first lesson and the only thing I'd been taught was how to fall backwards and break my fall by slapping the mat) I don't think he spent more than 2 seconds grappling before I was spinning around in the air and landed with a hard smack. It must of been bad as he got bollocked for it and I was helped up and half carried to the changing room 🥴

Guest Swagman
1 hour ago, Tiggie said:

None of this "I will slowly bring my hand down for you to block and counter" like you see in some other Martial Arts.

Try training with a brown belt at Karate and misjudge your counter and you will soon alter those thoughts.😀🤣

9 hours ago, XTreme said:

Judo is predominantly a sport as I understand it......and competitors are players rather than fighters.

Course it's all MMA type stuff that's popular today isn't it?

And don't you get problems with joints (particularly knees) doing it at 67?

Judo is most definitely a sport. Judoka are definitely fighters, not players, though. Have a read of the book “The Pyjama Game” by Mark Law. 

Like most physical contact sports, there can be long-term injury issues. It’s not selective about the part of the body, though. I’m still a slip of a lad at 67, though when there’s guys like Tony Underwood (75) and Stan Cantrill (74) still training and, in Stan’s case, competing in Masters events.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Swagman said:

Try training with a brown belt at Karate and misjudge your counter and you will soon alter those thoughts.😀🤣

I'm sure you're right!! In fact I'd bet money on practitioners of most arts giving me a headache and a few bruises :lol:

I just feel like the ones where during training you are actively trying to beat your opponent have an advantage over the others. Boxing being another example.

• Like 1

Guest Swagman
1 hour ago, Tiggie said:

I'm sure you're right!! In fact I'd bet money on practitioners of most arts giving me a headache and a few bruises :lol:

I just feel like the ones where during training you are actively trying to beat your opponent have an advantage over the others. Boxing being another example.

Well all I can say is when I was training you never held back with your attack, I had a few lumps and bumps I can tell you, think that’s why I’m a bit nuts now.😆😆

6 hours ago, geofferz said:

My 2020 started pretty badly - divorced, lost my job, had to sell my house... But now I'm living the dream in Turkey and will continue to do so (or maybe go to the States) in 2021. I'm excited. 

Yup you never know how things turn around, good luck for 21 

• Like 1

On 31/12/2020 at 10:37, geofferz said:

My 2020 started pretty badly - divorced, lost my job, had to sell my house... But now I'm living the dream in Turkey and will continue to do so (or maybe go to the States) in 2021. I'm excited. 

how you funding your life of luxury , funds from house , part time waiters job , delivery driver .... Gigolo ?

6 minutes ago, Six30 said:

how you funding your life of luxury , funds from house , part time waiters job , delivery driver .... Gigolo ?

House funds until I can start my new remote work IT sales job. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, geofferz said:

Which is happening Feb 1st.

I'm off to miami for a short holiday before then. 

I thought the US had banned flights/ Brits  entering? I know I has to get a special endorsement on my visa just before Xmas.